D&D 5E Enhancing "Storm King's Thunder"

pukunui

Legend
It gives the dimensions for the paper-cut-out I made for Iymrith....she was stupid big.

I wouldn't do that again, for various reasons, but it was hilarious at the time.
Huh. I'm seeing a different post at #341. Yours is coming up as #340, and it's on the previous page, which is why I didn't see it yesterday. Odd.

Anyway, FWIW I'm intending to use my old Gargantuan Blue Dragon "mini" for Iymrith.

EDIT:
So I had done a bit of research...trying to find out just how big an Ancient Blue actually is. Couldn't find much online, there were a few references to Ancient Red. However that kinda matched my guesstimate, so I went with my original plan.

Head: 20L x 20W (15' reach)
Body: 80L x 40W (15' reach, wings and claws)
Tail: 80L x 20W (20' reach, and see below)

So I had cut-outs for the three segments. This thing was ENORMOUS. :D
I've just gone and pulled my old 3.5 Draconomicon off the shelf. It gives the following measurements for a gargantuan blue dragon:

Overall Length: 85 ft.
Body Length: 28 ft.
Neck Length: 22 ft.
Tail Length: 35 ft.
Body Width: 10 ft.
Standing Height: 16 ft.
Maximum Wingspan: 80 ft.
Minimum Wingspan: 40 ft.
Weight: 160,000 lbs.

Interestingly enough, there's also a variant rule for changing the reach of various dragon types' attacks. For the blue, it suggests shortening its bite reach on account of its relatively short neck.

Last edited:

Motorskills

Explorer
Huh. I'm seeing a different post at #341. Yours is coming up as #340, and it's on the previous page, which is why I didn't see it yesterday. Odd.

Anyway, FWIW I'm intending to use my old Gargantuan Blue Dragon "mini" for Iymrith.

EDIT:

I've just gone and pulled my old 3.5 Draconomicon off the shelf. It gives the following measurements for a gargantuan blue dragon:

Overall Length: 85 ft.
Body Length: 28 ft.
Neck Length: 22 ft.
Tail Length: 35 ft.
Body Width: 10 ft.
Standing Height: 16 ft.
Maximum Wingspan: 80 ft.
Minimum Wingspan: 40 ft.
Weight: 160,000 lbs.

Interestingly enough, there's also a variant rule for changing the reach of various dragon types' attacks. For the blue, it suggests shortening its bite reach on account of its relatively short neck.

Yep, I'm borrowing the Gargantuan Blue mini for their third and final interaction with Iymrith. :)

ebuk

First Post
I'm thinking of having the group encounter another group also searching out the reason for the Giant chaos. Currently they are raiding the Barbarian areas for relics and I'm thinking they'll find a few areas with evidence of the recent removal of items. Then set up a scenario with Felgogos assisting an alternate party of adventures (possibly Zhents) who have visited the Oracle themselves and want something from the Giants.

I haven't thought it all through, but I'm open for suggestions from the forum.

pukunui

Legend
I'm thinking of having the group encounter another group also searching out the reason for the Giant chaos. Currently they are raiding the Barbarian areas for relics and I'm thinking they'll find a few areas with evidence of the recent removal of items. Then set up a scenario with Felgogos assisting an alternate party of adventures (possibly Zhents) who have visited the Oracle themselves and want something from the Giants.

That's a cool idea. Similar to something from ToA (don't want to explain in full due to spoilers).

Motorskills

Explorer

Per The Flying Misfortune, Felgolos and the Zhentarim really hate each other, but I don't know how canon that is. Another faction should work equally well I would think.

I do like the idea of the party running into an investigative group, but I would advise caution. Why won't your guys seek a merger if they are doing the same thing? You would then have a huge game management problem on your hands.

Your guys have already been to the Oracle already, which is why they are now hunting for Giant relics, correct?

I don't think the other adventuring party should be raiding for Giant relics, since that set of quests only comes after a successful visit to the Oracle, and I would recommend preserving that for your guys alone.

But no reason you can't still use your base concepts, to come up with a rationale for
a Faction Party
to be in Barbarian Lands
when Felgolos shows up.

pukunui

Legend
Per The Flying Misfortune, Felgolos and the Zhentarim really hate each other, but I don't know how canon that is. Another faction should work equally well I would think.
That adventure isn't canonical, but Felgolos' hatred of the Zhentarim is. I'm pretty sure it comes up in SKT at some point, but if not, it's mentioned elsewhere. He likes to collect Zhent wagons, and he once broke off a piece of a tower and used it as a club to swat beholders out of the sky at Zhentil Keep.

ebuk

First Post

Oooops. My mistake, I meant Zephyros assisting the alternate group. The party never met him as I didn't use him as a taxi ride to various points. So I may morph him some to suit the zhent angle. For Felgogos I have some other plans.

I plan on making any meeting between the other party and the group to be somewhat confrontational - I've already planted seeds with them about other groups investigating the giant issues. The party has already pissed off the zhents a few times and they have some notoriety with them (not in a good way). If they arrange a merger with the groups I don't see it as a long term problem. Extra work in the short term for sure.

pukunui

Legend
There is a metallic dragon hanging out in Daggerford who is on the Zhents' payroll (although why she would be is never explained). Perhaps you could do something with that?

Motorskills

Explorer
We decided to postpone the finale until everyone was available, so I decided to send the guys to Svardborg, where the Jarl refused to bend the knee to the restored Hekaton.

"You can't control your family, and you let a Blue Dragon into your court".

Have to say, he has a point. :D

The party is all L16 now, so I upped (doubled) the numbers, put in a few Frost Giant Elites, but otherwise left most everything the same.

Not quite finished yet, but had an amazing slugathon thus far. The Krigsvind is burning and has a couple of Earth Elemental sized holes in the hull (dropped from 250 feet up :D).

We ended the session with only a few Giants left, and the Jarl just blew his Legendary Horn of Valhalla to summon some final help.... :)

Remove ads