• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enter the HellMouth

KitanaVorr

First Post
Corlon said:
well, it's not illegal to date a minor as long as it doesn't go too far, is it?

Just for a teacher to date a student, correct?

Corlon

In the United States it is illegal to date a minor(anyone under18) if you are not a minor yourself...sure people do it, but if something goes wrong in the relationship, charges can be brought. Its usually brought by the girls parents against the guy. Personally I wouldn't risk it. Just be patient or find someone your age or older.

It is definitely a BIG no no for a teacher to date a student in any way shape or form. The teacher could get fired or even worse jail time if the student is a minor.

:p hehe I'm almost afraid to ask you why you wanted to know this.

Krizzel

First Post
Hence the term 'jailbait' - literally, any sort of 'involvement' with a minor can get you thrown in jail.

Personally, I think the penalty for this crime is way too lenient. <insert diatribe here> Then again, a lot of our justice system is too lenient.

Corlon

First Post
KitanaVorr said:
:p hehe I'm almost afraid to ask you why you wanted to know this.

My plan is ruined.

My plan, in five years, to find a minor and then date them, noooooo :p

It's cause you were arguing about Mr. Gray dating Mercedes and stuff.

So, if you're a minor, and you start dating someone that is younger then you, and then you stop being a minor, but they're still a minor, can charges be pressed against you.

oh no, now I've started thinking about this :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Krizzel

First Post
Corlon said:

So, if you're a minor, and you start dating someone that is younger then you, and then you stop being a minor, but they're still a minor, can charges be pressed against you.

oh no, now I've started thinking about this :rolleyes:

I believe the answer is yes. I'll grant it is a little more innocent in a case like that, but really, once one person is 18, they need to wait until the other one is as well.

Timothy

First Post
Hmm, lenient means too soft right?

then I do not agree with you, I think love should not be prohibited by laws. Or maybe change it so that there is a way aroun d the law, such as signing a paper where you acknowledge the fact you're legally dating a minor , with the minor (AND parents)signing too.

KitanaVorr

First Post
Timothy said:
Hmm, lenient means too soft right?

then I do not agree with you, I think love should not be prohibited by laws. Or maybe change it so that there is a way aroun d the law, such as signing a paper where you acknowledge the fact you're legally dating a minor , with the minor (AND parents)signing too.

Oh, Love should not be prohibitied by law, but ah there needs to be some cutoff or how do you prosecute pedophiles, etc? Or "adult" sites that have teen as their calling card? Since 18 is the legal age of adulthood/voting, that's where the cutoff for minors are.

Timothy

First Post
pedophilia is something entirely different than dating, since with dating both parties agree. So that's why a paper that you have to sign is a good solution.

Also, here in holland that law is set at the age of 16 I believe.

Krizzel

First Post
Different countries have different ages. There were some states here in the US that allowed kids under 18 to get married - they might still do that in some places, I'm not sure.

Love shouldn't be restricted, yes, but there's a problem in that you can't prove that something is really love. The reason for prohibiting relationships between minors and adults is that in general minors are not experienced enough to protect themselves. Some people as we've seen are not even aware that this might be illegal.

In other words, I would propose that a minor doesn't have the level of judgement necessary to agree to such a relationship. I sure thought differently when I was one, but there's a big difference in even being one year older. Any adult in a relationship with a minor is probably taking advantage of them, or has some psychological problems.

I might even go so far as to say the limit of 18 years in the US is probably too low. Well, in some respects anyway. There's a big difference between Jr. High and High school, and an even bigger difference between High school and College. I don't know that there would need to be laws per se (aside from College kids, being over 18, are subject to 'jailbait' laws), but definitely such a situation should be monitored by the parents.

Furthermore the things like 40-year-olds hitting on and dating college-age kids is totally wrong. That in my opinion should be subject to some laws (college kids, while more mature, still aren't on the same level as professionals).

Timothy

First Post
Can you agree with me if I say that girls generally favour alder guys? I think that is a well known fact. Girls are sexually (not mentally or physically) ripe around 11-14 years. boys around 12-15. They have feelings (being in love) that are very strong. let's take an example:

A girl of 16 years old is in love with an 18 year old boy (very common). The boy loves her as well. The get a realtionship, which lasts two moths, than they find out they aren't the true ones for eachother and split up. What you're suggesting is that they wait two years (for the girl to become 18) and then get a realtionship, than after waiting 2 years they discover that there are some things they dont like about eachother. The girl has now missed soem experience in dating, and hold off other overs because of this boy, is this fair?

(It's getting late here, so this might not sound as good as it was meant, I'll be happy to continue this duiscuusion tomorrow or on MSN

GijsvanBilsen@hotmail.com

Corlon

First Post
now we're getting into some deep stuff...

You have to realize though that not everything is perfect, and there are some real love relationships and some real abusive scumbags out there, a line has to be set somewhere. And if 18 is old enough to go fight for your country and get killed for your country, why isn't 18 also a good limit for relationships? Then again, you can't drink legally until you're 21...
and then again, women can't hold combat positions...

I guess that's my $0.02

Remove ads