Enterprise 03-20-02 episode

coyote6

Adventurer
If Enterprise's continuity (or lack thereof) with previous ST series bugs you, think of this: the first episode had time travelers in it, and meddling time travelers at that. Those time travelers have quite possibly changed history -- so Enterprise's future isn't necessarily going to be that of TOS, TNG, DS9, & Voyager.

It's an alternate universe. No problem! ;)

Dark Psion

First Post
According to what I have heard, The Feringi stun everyone and board the ship looking for gold. The crew never knows who was responsible. The sceen with them trying to comunicate with Porthos looked good.

As for tonights episode, almost perfect. Except for the night vision eyepatches.

One eye sees in the dark and one eye sees just the dark.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Dark Psion said:
According to what I have heard, The Feringi stun everyone and board the ship looking for gold. The crew never knows who was responsible. The sceen with them trying to comunicate with Porthos looked good.

Ah, that would make sense, if they never actually find out who it is. :)

As for tonights episode, almost perfect. Except for the night vision eyepatches. One eye sees in the dark and one eye sees just the dark.

I thought that was a little odd at first, but then I remembered using video cameras in my film classes in college. You keep both eyes open, even if one is stuck in the camera. Once you get used to it, it works well.

Mark

Lizard

Explorer
Re: But there aren't supposed to be any!

Talaysen said:
The Ferengi were first encountered around the time of Picard and Riker. As I recall, when Picard was in command of the Stargazer, and the Ferengi attacked it, they were *completely* unknown.

*Sigh*

I've been ignoring most of Enterprise's continuity issues so far - most really haven't been so bad - but this is just ridiculous. Is ANYONE at Paramount even TRYING to make this show conform to the existing story?

I know, I know..."repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, you should really just relax'"...

Point a:No one on board is going to realize they've met the Ferengi; they're all knocked out or something.

Point b:Next Gen screwed it's own continuity early on...in "Captain's Holiday", Picard doesn't blink when the chick he's hot for announces her father had had a Ferengi partner for over 12 years.

DMaple

First Post
Morrus said:
but when we do it's continuous - one a week.

Unless there is Cricket, Tennis, Football or Rugby on.

I hate BBC 2 for scheduling.

In the past they have had a X number of week gap to show Wimbledon and then screened the missed episodes at a completely different time of the evening.

Hi all! :)

DMaple said:

In the past they have had a X number of week gap to show Wimbledon and then screened the missed episodes at a completely different time of the evening.

Thats BBC2 though...Sky One is never (to my knowledge) affected.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
DMaple said:

Sky One, baby! BBC2 is about a year behind in most things.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The sweeps aren't the only reason we get gaps in series runs.

There are 52 weeks in a year. And approximately 22 episodes in a TV season. If they ran the episodes in one continuous block, then for any particular show, there'd be 30 weeks in a block where nothing new happened. That's a long stretch of time in which to lose interest. Spacing them out a bit probably keeps audience interest higher overall.

I think there are also other advantages - the ability to schedule around special events (movies, miniseries and sporting events). We also end up feeling a little less like we *must* be glued to the TV on a given night. Many basic digital cable boxes do not allow one schedule channel switches, making some tapings (say, taping Buffy and Smallville when you aren't home) impossible. So, if they ran those series in continuous blocks, a viewer would be stuck *having* to be home every Tuesday night for 22 weeks straight. Having gaps allows one to decide to do other things, on occasion :)

Oogar

First Post
I love my Tivo. Buffy, Smallville, Battlebots (Yes, I am that geeky), and Witchblade all get recorded on Tuesday night without trouble, and all from different channels. Also only takes me 3 hours or less to watch those "4 hours" of television. :)

Scarogoth

What do other people have?
Thornhammer said:

You also get some DVDs a lot faster than we do. UK already has Futurama and Family Guy boxed sets.

That's REALLY irritating! ;)

-Thornhammer

And not only that, but also come May, boxed sets of Series 1 & 2 of Angel, and Series 1 - 4 of Buffy! One happy bunny am I, even though I'm a little irritated that the Buffy/Angel thing is now out of sync. I don't watch them on television, you see, because I can't stand the adverts!

And as for Enterprise, do you know I've had to give up with it, and yet I've got all the other series complete on video and love them dearly. I guess the sacred cow has finally worn out. Such a shame, but I knew things were bad when I accidentally discovered myself reading a magazine when it was on. I would *never* have done that in Voyager. Ho hum...

Here's hoping Farscape continues to get better and better…

:D

Remove ads