ENW Short Story Smackdown Summer 07 (Winner Announced)

First Post
ENWorld Short Story Smackdown Summer 07

Round 3, Match 2

Extracurricular Murder
by Mike Rousos (Avatar_V)

Sergeant Guerin looked at the body again and shook his head. The scene was truly revolting. Tim Crawford, 12th grade English teacher at nearby Washington High School lay dead, his skull bashed in with a pick. Next to Guerin, Officer Dixon, still quite new to the force, shook a bit. It was Dixon that had first lifted the ridiculous party hat the murderer had been sick enough to strap on over the wound. Making that discovery had cost Dixon his breakfast and now, as lunch time rolled around, he was anything but hungry. The forensics team was packing up and paramedics would be by to take the body in for the official autopsy any moment now. At last, Guerin nudged Dixon, “Let’s go, rookie. We’ve seen all we can here and we’ve got a busy day ahead of us.”

attachment.php

As Guerin turned the cruiser out of the soccer field parking lot, Dixon flipped through his notes, still flustered but glad to be away from the grisly scene.

“I talked to the staff and a lot of his students this morning, like you asked, Sir,” Dixon explained. Guerin nodded and the young officer continued. “Several people mentioned a pair of students – Ashley Green and Katy Allen. Sounds like the two of them are pretty much inseparable – and Crawford flunked them both on some big project recently. Word is, it’s keeping them from graduating and spoiling some college plans, to boot. A few of their friends told me that they’re awfully upset about the whole thing. They’re definitely the popular choice for a motive of revenge.”

The sergeant nodded. “Let's stop back at the station and grab our lunch while we wait for the coroner’s report. Then, we’ll pay those girls a visit.”

“After this morning, sir, I think I may not eat lunch.”

“Ah, right. Well, I’m hungry. You can keep me company.”

Officer Dixon was a bit nervous as Sergeant Guerin parked in front of the Allens’ home, though he tried not to show it. He’d only been on the police force for a few months and already he was involved in a big investigation. He’d spoken with four different newspaper reporters just in the time it had taken Guerin to eat lunch. This was big. If he could help to crack this case, it would be great for his budding career. Getting out of the car, he noticed a sign hanging near the front door. It read “Congratulations Class of 2007!” and was ripped in half. Yea, they were mad. Dixon took a picture of the sign. They walked up the path, and Guerin knocked forcefully on the door. A moment later, Mr. Allen answered and asked the policemen if he could help them.

Guerin saw his partner twitching and answered quickly, before the rookie could, “Good afternoon, Sir. I’m Sergeant Guerin, this is Officer Dixon. We were wondering if Katy Allen was home. We’d like to ask her a few questions.”

“Of course, Officer,” her father answered, “Katy’s upstairs with Ashley.”

Guerin nodded, “Good, we’d like to speak to her as well. May we see them?”

“Sure, follow me.” Mr. Allen opened the door wider for police officers and led them upstairs. He opened the door to Katy’s room to let the officers in.

Inside, stood Katy and Ashley. On the floor, in front of them, sat two open, half-packed suitcases. Ashley held a bizarre alien mask. Another like it was already in one of the suitcases.

attachment.php

Both girls looked up, startled at the intrusion. Dixon’s heart beat faster. They were already packing for their getaway! The case couldn’t be more open-and-shut! Before Guerin could react, Dixon stepped forward and thrust his badge at the girls. In his most official sound voice, he inquired “What were your whereabouts on the night of March the 10th?”

Ashley looked at him, “What?”

Guerin interrupted. “Sorry to barge in like this. What my partner wants to know is where you both were last night.”

Katy looked baffled for a moment and then her eyes widened with comprehension, “This is about the murder last night, isn’t it! You think that we killed Mr. Crawford!”

“We never said that,” Guerin soothed. “We’re going to be talking to a lot of people – just trying to establish the facts about everyone’s whereabouts, you understand.”

“I see you’ve got some luggage there,” Dixon noted. “Are you girls planning on heading out of town for a while?”

“We’re packing for spring break,” Katy explained, “We’re leaving Friday after school to go to the coast with some friends.”

“And the masks? Perhaps you wore them to conceal your identity last night?”

“We were at a sleepover last night and we had them there,” Ashley answered. “We were scaring people during the night – we figure they’ll be fun at the beach.”

“I see,” said Dixon, jotting some things in his notebook. “I must say, it seems a bit odd to be packing for a trip a week in advance…”

“Well, it wasn’t us that killed Mr. Crawford,” Ashley said, sounding exasperated, “Like I said, we were at a sleepover with a dozen other girls – at Nadine Adams’ house. Ask anyone there, they’ll tell you we were there!”

“What time was Mr. Crawford killed, anyhow?” Katy asked.

Dixon consulted his notebook, “Coroner said that when the body was first found around six this morning, it had been cooling off for about four hours, give or take fifteen minutes – so, I guess around two.”

“Well, there you go!” Katy smiled in relief. “We arrived at Nadine’s at one last night. Five hours before six. And at least a dozen girls saw us nearly constantly the whole night. I’ll give you their names and phone numbers.”

Dixon frowned. Things had seemed so clear a moment ago. Now, Katy was ready to give him a list of a dozen witnesses to the fact that she and Ashley were nowhere near the scene of the crime.

“I see,” Guerin said, “We’ll check with Nadine, but I’m sure you’re telling the truth. Do you know of anyone with reason to be upset at Mr. Crawford?”

“Besides us?” Ashley asked.

“Right, besides you.”

“Well, there’s Samantha Simmons,” Katy offered.

Dixon began scribbling in his notebook, excited by the development of a new lead. “What did she have against the victim?”

“Oh, he used to pick on her horribly,” Katy answered. “Teasing, making fun, that sort of thing.”

Ashley tried not to laugh. Guerin raised an eyebrow. Ashley explained, “I’m sorry, Officer. It’s just so funny to remember. I mean, not funny for Samantha – she was furious – but really it was sort of funny for the rest of us.”

Katy chuckled as well now. “Do you remember the time that she dressed as a princess for the Halloween party and Crawford made her kiss a frog? She was mortified.”

Ashley nodded, “That was one of the best.”

attachment.php

Guerin and Dixon exchanged glances. It seemed that Ashley was going to continue reminiscing, but Dixon interjected, “I see what you mean, girls. I’m not sure that’s really motive for murder, though.”

“Ah, but that’s only half of it,” Katy explained, “You see, we said she got really upset over it, and we meant it. After particularly nasty teasing, she used to write these terrible poems and rants about how she hated Mr. Crawford and wanted to smash his skull in and stuff. It was really sick!”

Dixon began scribbling in his notebook again. Guerin answered the girls, “I see. Well, thank you for your time. I think we’ll go chat with Samantha. Will you two be around later if we have any more questions?”

Katy nodded, “We certainly will, Officer.” Then, looking at Dixon, she added, “Good luck cracking the case!”

Samantha Simmons wasn’t at home. Her parents were concerned by the officers’ visit, but after being assured that it was nothing to worry about, they told the policemen that Samantha was spending the weekend with her friend Anna Liu at her family’s vacation home a short ways out in the country. The officer’s thanked Samantha’s parents and drove out to Anna’s home. It was, perhaps, just shy of an hour before they were heading down the small dirt lane that led to the Liu’s house. Mrs. Liu met the officers as they got out of the car. “Good afternoon, Officers. Is there something I can help you with?”

“Good afternoon, Ma’am,” Guerin answered, “I’m Sergeant Guerin, this is Officer Dixon. We were hoping we could ask your daughter and her friend Samantha a few questions.”

“Sure,” Mrs. Liu seemed agreeable. Dixon suspected she didn’t know about the murder yet. Regardless, she led the two officers into the kitchen where Samantha and Anna were preparing a casserole for dinner. They both looked surprised to see two policemen in the kitchen.

“Hello, girls,” Guerin greeted them quickly before Dixon could whip out his badge and his ‘What were your whereabouts on the night of March the 10th’ routine. “How are you doing?”

They both shrugged. “Fine,” Anna said. “We heard about Mr. Crawford, if that’s what you’re wondering. That’s why you’re here, isn’t it? To find out if we know anything?”

Guerin nodded, “That’s right. We’re just talking to people who knew him who may be able to tell us anything useful.”

“Particularly,” Dixon added, “it would be useful to know where you were last night, Samantha.” Guerin sighed. He would have to work with Dixon on his questioning technique.

Samantha sat up straight, “You think that I killed Mr. Crawford? That’s absurd, why would I do a thing like that?”

Dixon spread his hands, “I never said you killed him. Though, I have heard that there was some tension between you; that you wrote some pretty grim stuff about how you would like to hurt him.”

Samantha looked flustered. Color rose in her cheeks. “I’ve never written any such thing! Why would I do that? I always thought Mr. Crawford was great. Oh, he teased me here and there, but he knew I took it all in fun!” She was beginning to tear up.

“It’s ok, Samantha,” Guerin comforted. Dixon’s just asking questions. We’re not accusing you of anything.”

“Well, I hope not!” Anna sounded indignant. “She’s been with me all night, and I can assure you we were nowhere near Mr. Crawford.”

“I see,” Dixon had his notebook out again and was jotting things down. “And what did the two of you do last night?”

“We were here all night,” Anna said, “but there are plenty of witnesses.” Dixon looked inquisitive and Anna continued, “You see, my father died a year ago yesterday. It’s tradition in Chinese culture to hold a memorial for a deceased person on the one year anniversary of their death; it completes the term of mourning. Most of my extended family was here with us until late into the night. I was out on that hill,” she pointed, “holding a lantern. Samantha was with me as support in a difficult time. So, if you think that she killed Mr. Guerin, you’re wrong. I don’t know who put you onto her as a suspect, but they’re either malicious or just ignorant. Samantha wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

attachment.php

Dixon scribbled in his notebook for a moment and then looked up. “I see. Just how late was this vigil?”

“Quite late,” Anna repeated. “Many of my relatives were here until three in the morning. Some stayed even later.”

Dixon frowned and grumbled to himself, “How is it that everyone’s accounted for at two in the morning? Relatives over until three – that’s worse than arriving at a party at one.” His frustration showed in the way that he aggressively wrote this newest information in his notebook.

“Party at one in the morning?” Anna asked, “Who was that?”

Dixon looked up from his notebook, “Oh, your friends Katy Allen and Ashley Green. We know they weren’t involved in this because they arrived at a party at one last night and the victim wasn’t killed until nearly two. Same way we know that you and Samantha weren’t involved since you were here until at least three.”

Anna thought for a moment and then asked, “Mr. Crawford was killed around two last night?”

Dixon nodded, “As near as we can tell. His body was found at six this morning by a groundskeeper and the coroner is fairly certain that he’d been dead for four hours at that point.”

Anna considered this and then started to laugh, “Officer Dixon, Katy and Ashley were the ones who told you Samantha had threatened Mr. Crawford, weren’t they?”

Guerin answered, “We ought not to answer a question like that, Anna.”

“That’s fine. I know they were. Samantha, can you hand me that tomato from the counter? I want to demonstrate something for these officers.” While Samantha retrieved the tomato, Anna went briefly into the next room. She returned with a short tape measure.

“What’s all this about?” Dixon asked.

Anna answered with a question of her own. “How big around is this tomato?” She lifted it up for the policemen to see.

Dixon shrugged, “I don’t know, maybe twelve inches.”

Guerin shook his head, “It’s a big tomato. I’ll say fourteen.”

Anna smiled and wrapped the tape measure around the tomato. She showed the measurement to the officers. It read seventeen inches.

attachment.php

Dixon whistled, “That’s one large piece of fruit.”

“Vegetable,” Guerin corrected. Dixon looked as if he were about to argue the point, but Guerin continued, “Regardless, that measurement doesn’t seem right to me. I agree that’s a prize-winner of a tomato, but it certainly doesn’t look like it’s got a seventeen inch circumference.”

Anna smiled, “Very perceptive, officer.” She opened her left hand a bit and revealed several inches of tape balled up there.

“So, then it’s not really seventeen inches around,” Dixon said. “What’s the point of all this?”

“I’m just demonstrating that things can seem longer than they are when some of the measuring standard is unaccounted for.”

Dixon and Guerin exchanged glances and Guerin asked the question they both were thinking, “What does this have to do with Tim Crawford’s murder?”

“It’s March 11th today,” Anna explained, “the second Sunday in March.” She waited but nothing registered for the officers, so she explained further, “Today begins daylight saving time! Last night, all our clocks were set forward an hour. Clocks went from 1:59 directly to 3:00.” Guerin’s eyes grew wide as he understood what she was saying. Dixon dropped his pen. “Last night,” Anna concluded, “there were only four hours between one and six in the morning. Seems to me that there was time for someone to kill Mr. Crawford four hours before dawn and still make it to a nearby party by one.”

Guerin already had his cell phone out. “Hello, Mr. Allen? This is Sergeant Guerin. I need to speak to Katy at once.” There was a pause. “What do you mean, ‘she left’?” Another pause. “With her bags? And Ashley too? Did they say where they were going?” One final pause. “No, Mr. Allen, I don’t think she was joking about the airport.”

Guerin flipped his phone shut and pounded the table. Dixon put his head in his hands. Suddenly, he was much less excited to be working this case.

First Post
And, as always, here are my after-story thoughts and reflections...
[sblock]Well, there it is :) As with the last story, I didn't get to spend as much time on this one as I would have liked. In the end, I think it's adequate. I think the picture use is pretty good, but the story still feels like something that was built around a set of pictures. Ideally, it wouldn't feel that way, but it is what it is. It's shorter than my last two, but I think that since it lacks some of the emotional turbulence I usually like to include in my stories, the length may be a good thing. That it's not terribly long helps to disguise the fact that we're really just going from scene to scene designed around pictures ;) All that negativity aside, I do like the twist at the end (I hope it's not too obvious) and feel that it's not a bad story given how little brain-storming time it got. As always, this round has been a harrowing but fun experience!

(edit: Oh, and that bit about the one year memorial in Chinese culture is something I made up (though that tradition does exist in Greek Orthodox culture). Apologies to any Chinese people I've offended by misrepresenting your culture :) I blame the time crunch!)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

FickleGM

Explorer
ENW Short Story Smackdown Summer '07
Round 3, Match 2 -- FickleGM vs Avatar V

Monster

Lying on the soccer pitch, he appeared to be sleeping. Appearances, as they say, are often deceiving. The young man, wearing a suit and a party hat, was dead (Picture 1). He had no markings on him or signs of trauma. Unfortunately, this was not the first dead body that Yuki had come across. This young man was just another in a long line of dead bodies showing no trauma, that she had come across since this morning.

Yuki was no longer stunned by all of the death. She was starting to become numb to it, as every street that she walked down in the now-silent city contained only dead bodies. In fact, she hadn't found a living soul, yet, human or animal. It was as if she were the last living being. She couldn't reach anyone on her phone, no radio station was broadcasting and the power was out.

It had been like this since she was fired from her job this morning. She remembered getting into her car, and being unable start it. She recalled banging her head on the steering wheel in frustration. Then she remembered getting out of the car and starting to walk home, angry and bitter. That is when she saw her first dead body...

A flash of movement out of the corner of her eyes interrupted Yuki's reverie.

"What was that?" she whispered to herself, half-expecting an answer.

"Hello!" she yelled out, as she started walking in the direction of the movement, toward the white house near the soccer pitch.

Unless her eyes were playing tricks on her, the font door had just closed and a shape had passed in front of a window. Someone else was alive and she was going to find out who...or what...it was. Dread filled her heart as she reached for the doorknob.

She hesitated. What if it was dangerous? She wasn't ready to die, yet.

The door suddenly flew open with a loud bang, startling Yuki. She fell backward and found herself on the ground. Holding her breath, she waited for whatever was coming for her. Gasping for air, as she finally remembered to breath, Yuki stared into the house. Nothing appeared. Nothing came after her. Like before, all was quiet and still.

"Hello. Is anybody in there?" Yuki half-whispered into the house as she stood up. As before, there was no answer.

As she crept into the house, she couldn't help but think that she was going to run into whoever, or whatever, was responsible for killing everybody that Yuki had come across. That filled her with fear, but did not deter her. She had to find out what happened. She needed answers.

The foyer was empty, as was the parlor and the den. Yuki made her way down the hall, toward the kitchen. Like the other rooms, the kitchen was also devoid of life, but the screen door was swinging open in the breeze.

Whatever came in must have left out the back door, so Yuki followed. The door lead to a garden...a garden that contained some of the largest plants she had ever seen. Seeing the lush and ripe produce reminded Yuki that she was hungry. Looking around nervously, as if the gardener would catch her, she picked a large tomato.

"Wow," she exclaimed, feeling the full weight of the fruit in her hand.

With mouth watering, she bit into the tomato and experienced pure taste ecstacy, as the juices flowed in (and out of) her mouth. Not only was it the largest tomato that she had ever seen, it was the best tomato that she had ever tasted. The fruit was intoxicating...literally. Yuki's head began to spin.

"These are large tomatoes, aren't they?" asked the suited man with the party hat, who was now standing in front of Yuki, holding a tomato in his hands with a measuring tape wrapped around it (Picture 5).

"Yesh, that one ish sheventeen inshes, hee hee," Yuki swayed a bit as she watched the man turn into a frog and jump down the hole. "Wait Mishter Frog, I'll come wiff you."

Yuki crawled into the hole and found herself standing in a forest, staring into a calm pond. She stared at her reflection in wonderment, for she was dressed in traditional Chinese robes and was holding a stick that held a paper lantern (Picture 3). She sat down beside the nearby tree and tried to figure out where she was.

The tomato, the man, the frog and the hole in the ground were all a blur in her mind. How did she get here? Where exactly was she? Why did the man turn into a frog? Was she alone?

The answer to the last question became readily apparent when she noticed a person walking toward Yuki. She was a woman, probably in her early twenties, with red hair and wearing a blue dress. She also had an emerald-set tiara on her head and a familiar looking frog in her hand.

"Well, well, what have we here? It isn't often that we get visitors," she said, although it seemed that she was talking to the frog, and not to Yuki.

The frog's tongue darted out in reply to the woman's inquiry. Wrinkling her nose (Picture 4), the woman shook her head.

Looking at Yuki, she started, "You ate the tomato? Why would you do that? Have you no sense, whatsoever? Did you not notice the dead bodies everywhere you went? Didn't you stop to consider that things were a bit off? Wouldn't it be reasonable to believe that the tomato, amongst other things, would be unsafe?"

Finally stopping to take a breath, the woman put down the frog and straightened herself, smoothing her dress as she did so. The frog hopped over to Yuki and flicked its tongue at her.

"No, my prince, she doesn't understand at all. It truly is a pity, though, for I don't know how she will get back. Perhaps the witch will help her," the blue-dressed woman contemplated.

"Witch? Where am I? Who are you?" the effects of the tomato were wearing off and Yuki was able to think straight again.

With a deep bow, the woman answered, "I am Princess Penelope and you are in the Witchwood, home to my mother, the Witch Queen. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Yuki impulsively pinched herself. Ouch. Well, this was either a painful dream, or she wasn't dreaming. But, if she wasn't dreaming, then that would mean...

"Yes, my dear, this is real. Well, as real is these things can be, of course. I see that you have already met my betrothed, the Frog Prince."

Yuki stood up and returned the bow, "I am Yuki Li. If your mother can help me get home, then I would like to meet her."

Princess Penelope led Yuki through woods, followed by the Frog Prince. The trees moved unnaturally as the trio passed by, bending forward as if to bow to the prince and princess. The woodland creatures also showed their respects by stepping off the trail and lowering their heads to the group.

Ahead, sitting on a small hill, sat a ramshackle old hut. If that was where the Witch Queen lived, her palace left a lot to be desired.

A flick of the tongue told Yuki that the Frog Prince did not approve of her opinion.

"It may not look like much from out here, dear Yuki, but it is what's on the inside that matters most," came Princess Penelope's response, as if verbalizing the Frog Prince's thoughts.

Yuki looked down, slightly embarrassed, "I'm sorry. I did not mean to judge your home."

Princess Penelope only smiled in response as she walked up to the door. She knocked some sort of rhythmic pattern and the door opened, revealing a grand entry hall.

"As I said, it is what is on the inside that matters most," Princess Penelope said as she turned to Yuki and beckoned for her to enter the Witch Queen's house.

Yuki curtsied to the princess and walked into the amazing hut. A man, dressed as a servant, walked up to Yuki and took her lantern.

"Thank you, I don't think that I'll need that in here," she responded.

Princess Penelope and the Frog Prince walked (and hopped) down the hall, motioning for Yuki to follow. They came to a large set of double-doors and once again, Princess Penelope delivered a rhythmic knock that caused the doors to open.

As the doors opened, a magnificent throne-room sprawled before them. On the far side of the throne-room sat a stately woman, attired in the splendid robes of a queen. On her head, rested an equally impressive crown.

"Welcome home, my daughter," the Witch Queen said, her voice carrying the weight of authority. "I see that you have brought company with you."

"Yes, mother," the princess replied, as she bowed to her mother and motioned for Yuki to follow in suit. "My friend, Yuki, is far from home and wishes for you to help her return."

Turning to Yuki, the queen asked, "Is this true, my dear?"

"Y-y-yes," came the stammered response, followed quickly by, "your majesty."

Nodding, the queen stood up and walked over to a large mirror, which sat near the far wall, behind the throne.

"You do realize that your home is no longer as it was? All of your friends are gone. Things will never be the same."

"I know, but I need to get back," said Yuki. "I have to find out what happened."

"Well, I can send you back, but I am afraid that you will not like what you find."

Yuki started to cry, "It is my home and I must return."

"Hush now, child. If you are determined to return, then I will not stop you."

The queen walked over and put an arm around Yuki's shoulders.

"I can set things straight and return you to your world, but you have to be prepared to return to such a place. Are you prepared to face what happened and things as they truly are?"

The young lady straightened back and lifted her chin, "Yes I am. I want things to be the way they should be and I am willing to do whatever needs to be done."

"As long as you are sure, then who am I to argue?" the Witch Queen waved her hand in front of the mirror and suddenly it showed Yuki her town, with live people moving about. "Walk through the mirror to return home, but remember to look at what is inside for the answers."

"Oh thank you, great queen. And thank you, Princess Penelope and Frog Prince."

Yuki walked into the mirror and found herself transported...to her home, she hoped...

Opening her eyes, Yuki looked around. She couldn't move her head, but she could feel that her hair was being tugged. She spotted a mirror sitting on a night stand and the image it portrayed filled her with dread.

She was in someone's bedroom, but she was not her. She was just a head, a grotesque monstrous head, but a head, nonetheless (Picture 2). Holding her by the hair was what looked to be a teenage girl. She was talking to a taller, older teenage girl, but Yuki couldn't hear what was being said.

How did this happen? Why was she trapped like this? What had she done?

On the inside, Yuki cried, only for once she didn't cry for herself, but instead she cried for what she had done. She remembered that it was she who had wished for the world to die. Just this morning, when she had been fired, she had made her silly wish in a fit of anger. It was just a silly thought, brought about by the feelings of hopelessness and despair. Whether or not it was silly did not seem to matter, however, as much as whether or not she had meant it. It was then that she truly saw what she was on the inside...a monster...

FickleGM

Explorer
[sblock]Well, it seems that I am still an impatient writer. I have a hard time keeping a story going and once I get to a certain point, it turns into a race to see how fast I can get it finished. Of course, it may come as no surprise that I am also impatient with pretty much everything else in life. I'm just an impatient person.

Oh well, I'm happy that I finished it before the deadline. Good luck, Avatar V.[/sblock]

FickleGM

Explorer
[sblock]Dixon whistled, “That’s one large piece of fruit.”

“Vegetable,” Guerin corrected. Dixon looked as if he were about to argue the point, but Guerin continued, “Regardless, that measurement doesn’t seem right to me. I agree that’s a prize-winner of a tomato, but it certainly doesn’t look like it’s got a seventeen inch circumference.”

Anna smiled, “Very perceptive, officer.”
[/sblock]
[sblock]Actually, a tomato is a fruit. ;)[/sblock]

First Post
FickleGM said:
[sblock]Actually, a tomato is a fruit. ;)[/sblock]
[sblock]Haha... You know, I spent some time researching that since I wasn't sure. According to Wikipedia, it's botanically a fruit, but has been classified as a vegetable by law in the past (who'd have thought there were laws about such things!) and in a culinary sense is considered a vegetable. So, I wasn't sure what to call it. I figure that usually people who refer to something as a fruit or vegetable are thinking of it in a culinary sense (in the same way that cucumbers are fruits but aren't usually referred to as such), so it was fine to call this a vegetable. Though, I definitely intended to leave it ambiguous (though my more 'authoritative' character takes up the vegetable side of the argument) since it seems there's no single 'right' answer. :)

Also, I like your story a lot. Some of the pictures seemed a bit arbitrary in their use, but overall I really appreciated how the story stood on its own without relying on the pictures. If someone asked 'what's the story about?' the answer is not 'Yuki goes through a bunch of scenes in which she sees some assorted views that happen to match up with the pictures illustrating the story' and that's a very good thing. Anyhow, I enjoyed it; good luck![/sblock]

FickleGM

Explorer
[sblock]Haha... You know, I spent some time researching that since I wasn't sure. According to Wikipedia, it's botanically a fruit, but has been classified as a vegetable by law in the past (who'd have thought there were laws about such things!) and in a culinary sense is considered a vegetable. So, I wasn't sure what to call it. I figure that usually people who refer to something as a fruit or vegetable are thinking of it in a culinary sense (in the same way that cucumbers are fruits but aren't usually referred to as such), so it was fine to call this a vegetable. Though, I definitely intended to leave it ambiguous (though my more 'authoritative' character takes up the vegetable side of the argument) since it seems there's no single 'right' answer. :)

Also, I like your story a lot. Some of the pictures seemed a bit arbitrary in their use, but overall I really appreciated how the story stood on its own without relying on the pictures. If someone asked 'what's the story about?' the answer is not 'Yuki goes through a bunch of scenes in which she sees some assorted views that happen to match up with the pictures illustrating the story' and that's a very good thing. Anyhow, I enjoyed it; good luck![/sblock]
[sblock]Some legislators have too much time on their hands. Also, I liked your little murder mystery...I'll never underestimate the powers of daylight savings time again. :)

I'll leave the technical feedback to the pros, since I'm not that good at it. I think that your picture use was good. The use of the two pictures as description of past events was something I hadn't done before. Overall, I think that your story is stronger than mine, but we'll see what the judges say...[/sblock]

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick note of congratulations to all the semi-finalists for getting your stories in! It sounded like a few of you were under the pump.

As for myself, I apologise profusely for my recent lack of presence (work/family/vista destroying my hard drive - although I did recover everything so I can't complain too much... just two whole days of work to catch up on).

However, I'm going to get the judgments done today so we can keep this thing moving to the final.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

yangnome

First Post
Do we have any rough estimate of when the next round will start? Just curious since I don't check ENworld on a daily basis.

Remove ads