• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENWorld Fantasy Basketball IS HERE!!! (league now filled)

John Crichton

First Post
I'm ok with whatever the majority wants to do. Not to be non-commital or anything. :p

I'm even cool with just doing the draft Yahoo-style even if it means the computer auto-picking for me.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
I see your point, Kajamba... though I happen to think a 24-hour window is not unreasonable, and will adjust our 12-hour rule to reflect that... no sense in getting stopped at one pick for a few days in case of catastrophe.

With all the objections that are being raised, I'm just going to scrap all the changes I mentioned above and stay with the plan I laid out in the first post of this thread.
  • I will impose a 24-hour shot clock, as I mentioned I would do if things went slowly.
  • We will run the draft on the messageboards until approximately 9 am Pacific on October 26th, 2004. At that time the "messageboard draft" will stop.
  • I will post my pre-rankings in a password-protected zip file when I stop the messageboard draft.
  • You will have until 6 am Pacific on October 27th, 2004 to submit your pre-rank lists via e-mail (I want everything in 3 hours early so that there are no problems with late-arriving e-mails). At approximately 9 am Pacific on October 27th, I will provide the password to the zip file so you can all see it and pick up all of your lists from my e-mail box. Any team that does not have its list in when I pick up my e-mail will use Yahoo's default rankings. This way I can post my list before I see your rankings and yet you will not be able to see it until it cannot affect your own rankings.
  • As shortly as I can after that (probably about 10-11 am Pacific), I will post the results of the draft (it will take me 1-2 hours to "manually run" the rest of the draft by going through all 12 lists, that's why the delay). I will post all received lists at this time so everyone can review the draft for accuracy (i.e., make sure I didn't make a mistake using the lists). You will have about 24 hours to audit the draft.
  • At least 24 hours - but not much more - after I post the draft results to the messageboard (again, the delay is to let you guys catch/protest any mistakes and get them fixed), I will enter the results into Yahoo (i.e., on October 28th). Once the results have been entered into Yahoo, they will be considered "final" even if I made mistakes that are later caught (i.e., after the 24 hour window to submit mistakes).

I hope everyone considers this a fair and equitable solution... since it's what you all agreed to in the first place when you signed up. ;)

--The Sigil

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
I don't like it either... but it's the best way to keep down arguments... go with the rules as originally stated.

Wishful thinking, I know, but it's too bad people can't/don't check in every few hours and make their picks so things can move swiftly... THAT would solve a LOT of problems, but you can't force that. :(

--The Sigil

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
The Sigil said:
I hope everyone considers this a fair and equitable solution... since it's what you all agreed to in the first place when you signed up. ;)

I have no issues with the 24 hour shot clock though to be honest, no disrespect to KL, but I would rather have it at 12 as I would like to see this get finished...

As for you finishing the offline draft that's fine with me, its just fantasy basketball... Nothing to stress over.

LeapingShark

First Post
The Sigil said:
I don't like it either... but it's the best way to keep down arguments... go with the rules as originally stated.
While that's true and that's why I'm going along with it, I also believe that it's a good thing to learn and grow from experiences. The incredibly slow pace of the first week of this draft has taught us that a few things could be improved (changed) now.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
I agree that 24 hours is not unreasonable, and I can generally get here once every 24 hours -- if I can't, then I'll accept those consequences. As for 12 or less -- neither of my part time jobs (substitute teaching or at Barnes & Noble) allows me internet access. When I do both in a single day, that means that I'll be away from my computer for about 20 hours, give or take. It's not that I disagree with the idea expressed, but I do slightly object to comments like "but it's too bad people can't/don't check in every few hours and make their picks so things can move swiftly." I'm doing my best, which is, given the circumstances, pretty good, I think -- if y'all have a full-time job with internet access, benefits, and a relaxed policy on internet access, let me know. ;) Anyhow, when I'm off from work, I check the boards fairly frequently, but I can't promise I'll be off from work a lot -- I have to take it so I can pay my bills and that sort of thing.

Nick

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Kajamba Lion said:
I do slightly object to comments like "but it's too bad people can't/don't check in every few hours and make their picks so things can move swiftly."

Nick, I do agree but I don't think anyone meant in malice by it. To be honest I think everyone in here had been doing a good job. It’s just the nature of the beast but maybe I'm just infinitely more patient after my days of PbP… :)

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
I understand there was no malice (hence I only "slightly object"). I just felt I had to hang in there and be explicit on my point. I have now, and I'll let it be. I don't bear any ill will to anyone here in any way. :)

Nick

Remove ads