Enworld Short Story Smackdown (aka Ceramic DM) - sign-up thread

I tend not to have word limits, because except for carpedavid, I think I'm the most long-winded. :lol: Feel free to handicap yourselves, though.

Competitors are also free to work out a better post time among themselves. For example, Piratecat and I last time agreed on a midnight post time that worked out well for both of us. I'm pretty flexible and something of a night owl, and if the time is really weird, max is West-Coastish and Herremann is an antipodean, so we can cover anything.

Heh. I just put together the pictures. You guys are so screwed.

EDIT: Hellefire, can you edit the thread title and first post to indicate the first round starts tomorrow? Also, we usually update the first post with the matchup times, etc. as we go.

Picture Use in Ceramic DM

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick recap for some of the new guys as to what is expected and what is not expected in terms of picture use.

Picture as a Picture.
This is the classic no-no. For example, when you have a painting, and one of the characters steps into the room and "sees a painting of several fairies", then you have not really dealt with the topic of the picture. In short you've lost a whole stack of opportunities to take your story in some fantastic direction. Don't be nervous about taking a risk.

Picture as a Waypoint
This is normally considered suitable use but personally, it is one of the uses that I find annoying. This is where the interaction with the picture lasts little more than a sentence before the action moves on to something more interesting. Almost like the picture was included and referred to because you "had to include it". Sometimes, you'll get a picture that is impossible to deal with any other way and that's cool, just as long as the other picture's are doing something.

Picture Element Interpreted as a Theme
This is where you focus on a particular aspect of the picture (for example if you had two creatures enslaved in a jar being tormented by a kid). You might take the dominion theme and have it mean something important in your story - perhaps never referring to the exact picture. This use is a very difficult one to pull off but it is accepted. Sometimes, for a picture to fit, it cannot be interpreted literally. You have been warned though, when somebody tries this and it fails, it looks REALLY bad (as if you had not used the picture at all).

Picture an Intrinsic Part of the Story
This is what we hope you will do with all the images in some fantastic way that nobody would have thought of. This generally happens when you take certain elements of a picture and lead up to them, way before the picture is actually used; or when a character in one of these images is the dominant character and the image is the pivotal moment in the story. Or perhaps, somebody sees something in the picture and extends upon it in the most dramatic way, giving added meaning to both the image and the story. To me, this is the holy grail of picture use.

Take a look at the attachment below and think how you could use this image in a story. Seriously take a minute before reading the spoilered text.
[sblock]This image-use was for me was the king of the last competition. Piratecat took this to be the dummy used by a child-killer as target practice. The twist... the shooter was being interviewed by a reporter who was stunned by his claim: it was his job to hunt down the messiah returned as a child, before the messiah could grow up bringing an apocalyptic end to the world. The soul of the messiah would then transfer to a new child and again, it was his job to consult an oracle and hunt the child down. Dramatic stuff to say the least.[/sblock]

Anyway, best of luck to all the competitors, I look forward to reading and judging your submissions.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Attachments

• alienfiringsquad2.jpg
    alienfiringsquad2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 71

Berandor

lunatic
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Formatting, BTW, doesn't count, so long as its readable. Please indicate picture use by putting (Picture 3) or something in the relevant paragraph. It helps the judges be certain of intent.
While it may not count in judgement, please don't take this to mean you needn't format anything. A line break here and there can go a looong way, and I for one will appreciate the gesture.

Hellefire

First Post
I was actually thinking that one of the judges would start a new thread with all the niceties (appropriate title, list of competitors and matches, links to FAQ and past competition/s, etc). If we want to just continue using this one, that's cool too. I'll check again in a few hours, and if its decided to use this one or no one has responded I'll edit the title and first post appropriately.

Also, I remember in at least one or two in the past we had a seperate thread for onlookers and mud-slinging. Are we doing that this time, or jsut keeping everything on one thread?

Aaron

Maybe I can create a new empty thread and have a mod merge it. That would give us the best of both.

We used to do a seperate thread for commentary, but I think the consensus was we got more interaction when it was a single thread. The original concern was that judges might be influenced by the chatter, but I don't think that's really an issue any more.

Gulla

Adventurer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I tend not to have word limits, because except for carpedavid, I think I'm the most long-winded. :lol:
Just in for a (very) quick comment between holidays, and I'm looking forward to see a lot of good stories when I return to a proper keyboard.

But Rodrigo? I seem to remember someone called Mythago? ;) :p

Håkon

Remove ads