Enworld Short Story Smackdown (aka Ceramic DM) - sign-up thread

Hellefire said:
Just a request, don't necessarily move things around inordinately just for me.

Aaron
As it's the first round, there's a goodly amount of flexibility built-in so I'm sure a later start can be catered for.

If anyone else has a preference, let it be known as soon as possible.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Hellefire

First Post
OK, thanks a ton! As it turns out, we are going saturday and returning tuesday. So a start date of tuesday or later would work best for me, again if that doesn't disrupt the flow of things too much.

Aaron

questing gm

First Post
I just got back from across the South China Sea and just kept myself updated about the current situation of the CDM.

Yes, i'm in as writer, seeing that we can start this thursday (July 5) which means i start on Friday. Am i too late ? :heh:

Good luck to all writers !

Trench

First Post
I work Saturday, Sunday, and Monday weirdly enough. But if that's not work-aroundable, I'll manage. Just glad to be in!

awayfarer

First Post
What time are we starting tomorrow? I work from 5:00 AM-1:30 PM and probably won't be able to take a crack at this until late afternoon.

awayfarer vs tadk (Post time approx. 6 pm Eastern 7/5/07)
yangnome vs Toras (Post time approx 6 pm Eastern 7/5/07)
FickleGM vs Cevalic (Post time approx 12pm Eastern 7/6/07)
questing gm vs freeXenox (Post time approx 6pm Eastern 7/6/07)
Hellefire vs Trench (post time Approx 12pm Eastern 7/10/07)
EP vs Avatar V (if they confirm) (post time approx 12pm Eastern 7/9/07)

If you have a change request, speak up. We try to be accomodating of time zone differences, etc.

Just to summarize the rules:

* First round is 3 pictures, no word limit. Take it easy on the judges though and try not to write the Great (insert country here) Novel.

* Stories are due 72 hours from the actual post time. Don't cut it too close. If the boards are unavailable, you can email the story to jckline at gmail dot com. The time I receive the email is the official time of submission.

* Absolutely no editing of your story once it is posted in this thread. There are ways to test post outside of this thread if you want to check formatting. Formatting, BTW, doesn't count, so long as its readable. Please indicate picture use by putting (Picture 3) or something in the relevant paragraph. It helps the judges be certain of intent.

* Creativity, grammar, spelling and picture use all count, although different judges may weigh them differently. The only real no-no is using a picture as a picture (eg, Dave was startled when he saw the picture of the monster on the wall).

* No reading your opponent's story. Honor system, people.

* For this round, the winner of each matchup advances. The best two of the losing entries (as determined by the judges) will also advance.

Last edited:

Hellefire

First Post
All that looks familiar except...no word limit starting from the first round?? Please confirm that for me, as I pinch myself...that was lways one of my biggest demons, the damn word limit :).

Aaron

p.s. starting time you posted for my match is fine for me!

Hellefire said:
All that looks familiar except...no word limit starting from the first round?? Please confirm that for me, as I pinch myself...that was lways one of my biggest demons, the damn word limit :).

Aaron

p.s. starting time you posted for my match is fine for me!
Well hey, if you like word limits, perhaps a 500 word limit just for you? ;)

I found last competition, most competitors were coming in at the 2000 to 3000 mark without coaxing. The winner (carpedavid) however regularly wrote between 5,000 and 7,000. Not trying to say that longer is better but sometimes it is.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

FreeXenon said:
So, 3 days from the listed date and hour is when the story is due - correct?
Correct.
Try submitting it a little early though just in case. Remember if you have any problems, Rodrigo's email is the way to go.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads