Epic+ Fey (musings)

Hey Khisanth mate! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
Are you planning for any of these in 4th edition (well, you mentioned the Varcolac for future Vampire Bestiary stuff...)

A 4th Vampire Bestiary (Forest of Intestines) would have revolved around an epic + fey + vampires theme.

It would have had the Varcolac (multiple types), Hecate, and some interesting Feywild monsters.

We've seen these...

For 3rd Edition yes, not 4th. ;)

How would that work?

That is up there with the Neutronium Golem in difficulty. Its actually out in space (trillions of miles away), but as you look at it, it appears to be interacting with you as if it were right in front of you (or typically slightly above you - if you are on a planet).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Hope you are keeping well amigo?

I'm doing alright for myself; I hope the same is true for you too! :)

I'm always struck that fey are the weakest creature type mechanically, and that most of the mythological fey are considered a different kind of creature under 3.X/Pathfinder rules.

For me, the idea of "epic" fey would remember a time when neither of these things were true (e.g. when fey were stronger monsters, and more creatures were fey than are now - e.g. fey goblins, fey dwarves, etc.) and would be trying to "turn back the clock" on this. Cosmic evolution has left the fey behind, and they're fighting to reverse that trend.

paradox42

First Post
For the record, I used an Odium against one of my groups of low-Divine PCs during my super-Epic game that ended back in 2010- it very nearly killed the party, because I threw it at a party of Evil PCs. ;) One of the PCs was a Psion, and used Anyfeat to get himself a Good-aligned attack ability to use so they could finally kill it. He had great fun roleplaying his horror and self-disgust after the fight.

So I guess what I'm saying is, Odium are definitely Epic, and if you consider them Fey then go ahead and use 'em. I tried it and liked it.

Hey Alzrius amigo! :)

Alzrius said:
I'm doing alright for myself; I hope the same is true for you too! :)

Not too bad...little bit stuck in a rut writing wise but hope that will change this week with the mapping program.

I'm always struck that fey are the weakest creature type mechanically, and that most of the mythological fey are considered a different kind of creature under 3.X/Pathfinder rules.

For me, the idea of "epic" fey would remember a time when neither of these things were true (e.g. when fey were stronger monsters, and more creatures were fey than are now - e.g. fey goblins, fey dwarves, etc.) and would be trying to "turn back the clock" on this. Cosmic evolution has left the fey behind, and they're fighting to reverse that trend.

I'm wondering if fey, by being tied to nature would be more powerful the closer they were to large forests, or alternatively that larger forests were populated by more powerful fey.

In this way, Fey would be the ultimate conservationists and in fact actively growing woods and forests perhaps even at the expense of settlements and even cities.

Howdy paradox42 mate! :)

paradox42 said:
For the record, I used an Odium against one of my groups of low-Divine PCs during my super-Epic game that ended back in 2010- it very nearly killed the party, because I threw it at a party of Evil PCs. ;) One of the PCs was a Psion, and used Anyfeat to get himself a Good-aligned attack ability to use so they could finally kill it. He had great fun roleplaying his horror and self-disgust after the fight.

So I guess what I'm saying is, Odium are definitely Epic, and if you consider them Fey then go ahead and use 'em. I tried it and liked it.

The Odium were originally my answer to the Malboro monster from Final Fantasy...with a few new touches of my own naturally. I liked the idea of them being master manipulators so I guess that stemmed from the Splugorth (of Rifts).

Anything plant based is at least indirectly Fey in my opinion.

Remove ads