• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EPIC M&M: Issue 1 (IC)

Calinon

First Post
With nearly all the students immediately asleep in their beds, the halls are eerily quiet as Vincent exits his room to go for some food. Ever step seems to echo, but it's mostly imaginated, thanks to being pretty much alone in a new place. It's not a long walk though, and after a few minutes he comes to a set of glass double doors with some stairs up beyond them. Vince climbs up the stairs and enters the cafeteria and what is likely EPIC HQ.

The cafeteria is very nice, far from a school cafeteria and more like a restaurant. Tables are neatly arranged on the floor, and the counter area has both pre-prepared foods and deserts, along with a place to order food from the chef who is currently watching soccer on a tv in the kitchen. There is a large television in the room as well. Across from where you enter there is another set of glass doors leading into a hallway. A short hall to your left appears to be where the washrooms are. Another hall extends to the right from the middle of the wall, and leads to a pair of dark coloured wooden doors. Tara, the insectoid girl, stands at the counter ordering something. Without turning around she seems to have seen you and waves.

After the two of you get your food and sit down, the room is very quiet. Only the quiet sounds of the chef's tv is heard beyond your idle conversation. Tara is obviously overtired and doesn't say much. As you eat, you hear sounds of an argument from beyond the dark coloured wooden doors. You notice they are somewhat open. Curiosity drags you both forward and you catch a conversation in mid progress.

"... a break! You're tellin' me you don't think it's MERC, even though it's their stuff!?" shouts a woman in a heavy british accent. A moment later, Nova can be seen pacing past the door.

"I'm saying this is not Ace's style. It was obviously a collection job; his people wouldn't go around shooting a bunch of kids no matter what," argues Empath. "The guy..."

"Is barely better than an animal, amigo."

Vincent and Tara both peer in the door. You see what must be EPIC's war room. A huge stone table sits in the middle with comfortable chairs around it. A communication screen stands in the corner. Thunder, Nova, Titan, Empath and Sanchez are all in the room. The screen is active and you see Kodiak's face on it.

"I must agree with Titan. I, for one, recognized Everest," Kodiak says in a low voice, thick with russian accent. "MERC had its hand in this."

The screen splits and Sandstorm appears on it beside Kodiak, from another transmission.

"Sandstorm reporting in, Thunder."

"Thank god. Where have you been? We've been trying to contact you for hours," says Empath.

"Sorry Angel, I've been busy. Whoever attacked the other bases was busy here too."

"It seems to have been MERC," Thunder says, sounding somewhat unconvinced.

"I have no idea who these guys were, but they were vicious. I can guarantee they weren't part of MERC unless they're into assassinations now. We have probably fifteen dead on our hands here, not including collateral damage," he adds quietly.

"We better find Ace anyway," Thunder says after a brief silence. "If he's involved, we need information from him and if not, he may have an idea who is behind it."

"He's not going to just cough up the information," Sanchez says.

"He's gonna talk or he's gonna burn, baby," Nova says, flame radiating out from her.

"For once," Thunder says, "I completely agree with Nova."

Vincent and Tara quickly return to their seats to avoid detection.

Elsewhere
The fire still crackles in the darkened room. The man, still cloaked in shadows, sits before it, wine goblet empty. The clicking of shoes and boots on the tile echoes through the room as the butler, Xavier, and another man enter.

Xavier stops well back, forcing the other man to stop as well. "Sir. Mister Split is here with your package from North America."

The shadowed man smoothly stands, shadows flowing about him, concealing his face and even his feet, making him appear to float across the ground. He flows over to a nearby table without looking at either man. "You have what I paid you for?" he asks in that oddly strong voice.

"Of course. MERC always gets the job done, right?" he says with a bit of a grin.

"Of course," the shadowed man replies with a hint of a chuckle. "The case?"

Split comes forward, and copies of him seperate from him as he walks. One of them has a case in its hand when it appears. All the copies walk to the table. The case is set down and opened revealing a few series of vials and a large pool of drying and congealing blood in the center.

"I thought you said you did the job?"

"I did. The mutant you are seeking is on the train. And whichever of them it is, it isn't one of those," he says, pointing to labelled vials. The shadowed man says nothing, turning his shadowed face to glare at Split. "Hey, you hired me to find out if the mutant you are after was going to EPIC, and I found out. Job done."

"It will have to do. Anything else to report?"

"Yeah, some kid took over the medical robot you gave me to use. Directive 12 override or some crap. Talk about turning the tables." The butler gasps slightly. "Oh, and the metal headed kid didn't get sampled."

"Truly? Directive 12," the man ponders. "This has turned out better than expected. I am surprised though, that I did not forsee this. Well done Split. Well done indeed. You may go."

"And my money?"

"Already in your account. It was there before you began your assault." Split looks a bit surprised. "I may call on your services again."

"Don't expect me to assault EPIC headquarters for you," Split calls out as he leaves the room. The butler remains behind. As he leaves, the shadowed man continues examining the vials. The wall ripples and a man apparently made entirely of stone steps from it.

"Watch him. Kill him if necessary." The man of stone says nothing and starts melding with the wall, a grin on his rocky face. "If necessary," the shadowed man emphasises again.

"Directive 12. Very interesting, wouldn't you say," the shadowed man says, adressing the butler.

The butler says nothing in response.

"You may leave me," the man says, and the butler turns and walks away.

"One of you children hold the key. But how to find out which one," the man says as he sits down infront of the fire again, steepling his hands and staring into the flames.

End of Issue 1
Link to Issue 2

Last edited:

Remove ads