• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic problem OOC

Jemal

Adventurer
Allright, I'll say no to Cohort Item Creation right off the bat.. if you somehow manage to find time to do it in character I'ld allow it, but... don't hold your breath (Unless you've got a necklace of adaption...)

As for the Monk's AC bonus from belt... Technically the Wisdom bonus is under Monk AC Bonus, however I agree that's way too cheap of a boost especially at Epic.
I'll rule for the sake of balance that it does not include the Wisdom mod to AC. If you want that, level dip.

And the cast:

Shayuri - Silver Dragon w/ Rider
Ivellious - Paladin Riding a Silver Dragon (No known relation to previous character)
Darimaus - Human Paladin/Bard/SeekerOfSong
Wrahn - Trumpet Archon(?)
Voidrazor - Human Priest (Melee Buffer)

Tailspinner - Half-Dragon (Blue)/Half-Ogre Fighter
Avalon - Old Kobold Wizard
Pallandrom - Evil Blackguard/Archmage (Interplanar Arms Dealer/Info Broker)
Nephtys - Insane Human Priest

**EDIT : Hmmm. On second thought, I'ld like it if we could get another 'uber-good' type character that fits well with the 3 paladins and the Angel, and I could switch Void to the Evil team.**

I will still accept a submission or two more if they're coming, so long as you think you can have the character done relatively soon. I'ld like to finish character creation fairly quickly so we can start on the gameing... don't wanna bog down and have the people who've been ready and waiting for days get bored.
In Fact, after a few more days I'ld like to have all character concepts locked in, and I'll start the RPing (Stats won't need to be finalized during the beginning of the campaign, just what/who your character is and a general idea of what he/she can do. That way we can get the ball rolling while everyone finalizes their numbers).

Wrahn

First Post
Shayuri said:
I think the idea is that right now, during creation, we're allowed to make an item or items that would set us back a level...but that -during play- the standard rules apply. That is, this is now or never. Blow the exp now...because you won't be allowed to once we start.

Makes more sense that way, ar?

Wrahn, I've got a question for ya...and believe me, I dunno how I became the designated nitpicker on design... :) The Monk's belt description never says it grants the Wis bonus to AC, and I know I've never played that it does. The last line is crucial, I think.

"This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus."

The monk's AC bonus is that +1 untyped bonus to AC that monks get at level 5, and goes up one every 5 levels. At least, that seems reasonable to me, given the cheap cost of the belt. 13,000gp for a slotted item that gives infinitely stackable +1 to AC, raises unarmed damage, works in conjunction with monk class abilities, but doesn't -require- you to be a monk... That's pretty darn decent.

But if you factor in the whole, "Oh, and you get Wis bonus to AC too," then I think 11,000 is pretty grossly underpriced. Granted, the item description doesn't specifically rule it out...though I think that last line comes pretty close to doing that. A case could be made though that "the monk's AC bonus" includes Wisdom bonus. Hence the confusion.

Still...if so, it's gotta be the cheapest AC increasing item in the entire D&D panoply of stuff. :)

Thoughts?

Certainly arguable that way. The rules are not clear on this, but the sentence before it is the key one:

3.5 SRD said:
If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk.

It is difficult to argue that a 5th-level monk does not gain wisdom to AC. Here is the relevant text:

3.5 SRD said:
AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level...

I agree with you that it is ridiculously cheap, but remember that you can't wear armor on top of it and it is only at higher levels where is becomes more AC than armor for most classes. As a player my only ability to is to interpret the rules as best I am able. The best I am able in this case leads me to believe that exact reading of the item gives Wisdom to AC. If it was a mistake or not in the spirit of the rules, that is for Jemal to decide.

Shayuri

First Post
Point taken, Wrahn. I've been meddlesome. I apologize.

On an unrelated note...it cracks me up (in a good way) how GOOD the good party is. Silver dragons, paladins, and celestials!

There's just something really cool about that. :)

G

Guest 11456

Jemal said:
K, Looked through the characters in the Rogue's Gallery, so far haven't noticed anything I don't like. One thing, however - Tailspinner, could you show how many ranks you put into each of your skills?

Jemal,
Click on the second spoiler tag within the first marked "DETAILS". That is a second sheet with all relevent numbers included. I posted one for readability and one for checking numbers.

Jemal said:
As for the Monk's AC bonus from belt... Technically the Wisdom bonus is under Monk AC Bonus, however I agree that's way too cheap of a boost especially at Epic.
I'll rule for the sake of balance that it does not include the Wisdom mod to AC. If you want that, level dip.

I checked the official 3.5e FAQ located here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a

Here is the result:

Q: Does a monk’s belt (Dungeon Master’s Guide, 248) grant a non-monk wearer his Wisdom bonus to AC?
A: Yes. Note, however, that the wearer gains the AC bonus only when unarmored and unencumbered, since the belt clearly states that “this AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.”

pallandrome

First Post
Heh, honestly, I don't think Salarassa is going to be comfortable in EITHER group, seeing how far they both are from a nice comfy medium. :D

Of course, given a choice, he'd take the good players. They are generally less likely to betray him.

Darimaus

First Post
Wrahn said:
I agree with you that it is ridiculously cheap, but remember that you can't wear armor on top of it and it is only at higher levels where is becomes more AC than armor for most classes. As a player my only ability to is to interpret the rules as best I am able. The best I am able in this case leads me to believe that exact reading of the item gives Wisdom to AC. If it was a mistake or not in the spirit of the rules, that is for Jemal to decide.

I just have to point out that bracers of armor are still usable while employing a monk's belt, which sort of negates the "can't wear armor" point. Specially considering you can get those bracers up to a +8, and can have as much dex as you want. Most high AC builds I've seen only needed slight dips in monk to perform. Thats why.

Shayuri

First Post
Betray him? No...

Just plain anihilate him in blasts of energy?

Probably. :)

I mean, it's nothing personal, but I can't see paladins easily cooperating with an evil outsider and still retaining their stature), and a trumpet archon would be even less likely...by sheer nature. And you gotta figure that the silvers and riders have been spending the past couple of centuries hunting down evil outsiders for fun and profit too...

I can see where you're coming from saying that he prefers working with good...but I'm not sure the gooders in the group would be so forgiving of him. :)

Pyrex

First Post
Jemal said:
**EDIT : Hmmm. On second thought, I'ld like it if we could get another 'uber-good' type character that fits well with the 3 paladins and the Angel, and I could switch Void to the Evil team.**

How do you feel about the BoED? I've got a L30 Vow of Poverty Paladin that I never got to use in a different epic who's ready to go... :D

Ivellious

First Post
Yeah for good guys for butt kicking......seriously, there isn't one non fighter type in the good guys group, and yet we've have abunch of healers still. That's funny as hell to me

Can anyone say party of white mages? (though in realitly it would be red mages, but still)

Remove ads