• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Weapon Question

Ranger5

First Post
I have a question about what makes an epic weapon.

In the Complete Book of Eldritch Might there is a weapon ability called Eldritch Blasting that is a +7 bonus for pricing purposes. If I wanted to make a +3 longsword of eldritch blasting would it be considered an epic weapon at least cost wise? I know it would not for overcoming DR #/epic but I am more concerned about the cost of it. Thanks.

Pinotage

Explorer
Ranger5 said:
I have a question about what makes an epic weapon.

In the Complete Book of Eldritch Might there is a weapon ability called Eldritch Blasting that is a +7 bonus for pricing purposes. If I wanted to make a +3 longsword of eldritch blasting would it be considered an epic weapon at least cost wise? I know it would not for overcoming DR #/epic but I am more concerned about the cost of it. Thanks.

Yes, it would. Any special ability or weapon bonus higher than +5 counts as epic, even if the overall 'bonus' is not higher than +10. Since Eldrich Blast is +7, it would be considered an epic item.

Pinotage

glass

(he, him)
IIRC, according to the rules in the Epic Level Handbook, a weapon is epic for pricing and pre-req feat purposes if it has an enhancement bonus of +6 or greater, any single ability of +6 or greater equivalent bonus, or a total equivalent bonus (enhancement and abilities) of +11 or greater. On that basis, the item you describe would be an epic item because of the equivalent cost of the ability.

OTOH, you could argue that the Book of Eldrich Might is designed to be used with the PHB, which has no rules for what constitutes an epic item, and not necesarily the ELH. So the item is not intended to be an Epic item.

So, long story short, I don't know. Ask you DM, or if you are the DM, decide for yourself. Sorry I couldn't have been more helpfull.

glass.

Ranger5

First Post
glass said:
OTOH, you could argue that the Book of Eldrich Might is designed to be used with the PHB, which has no rules for what constitutes an epic item, and not necesarily the ELH. So the item is not intended to be an Epic item.

I thought of that but since it is also non-WOTC (though it was created by Monte Cook - one of the designers of 3.0) I will stick with the RAW. I just would have thought that it would have stated that it was an epic weapon ability somewhere in the description of it.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads