• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eric Noah's Info

Wanderer20

First Post
Well, I really hope Eric Noah has done an April Fool to us; it might be possible ;). I hope so.

Anyway, we all know 4E is going to pop up sooner or later, and many rumors said it would have done so at the next GenCon.

Not writing what I think about 4E since I've been writing it too many times.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hopefully folks are taking this all with the grain of salt it deserves. "Someone I know had lunch with someone he knows and blah blah blah" isn't much to base anything on.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
If this 4E rumor is true, then I think 3.x D&D is in the unique position of surviving.

A 4E edition of the type stated by Eric would effectively mean the end of producing true pen-and-paper RPGs. People who want to continue playing in that fashion will not stop by 3.x products as 4E approaches. The game will continue to be played, I believe, since there will not be much of a push for these people to have their game replaced.

Belen

Adventurer
Eric Noah said:
On a more serious note ... it is ironic that even yesterday I got some major scoops about the future of D&D. It is sounding like some of our most paranoid fears are in fact in the works.

-4E already in the works? Check.
-Even more miniatures-centric? Check.
-Much smaller bundles of game info, packaged and sold separately? Check.
-A plan to possibly sell off RPGs entirely? Check. (Apparently only miniatures and Magic are making any money for WotC).

Unfortunately I can't go into how I got the info or who gave it to me. And I don't think even WotC knows when they're going to announce anything. I got the impression that timing such an announcement with GenCon was no longer seen as optimal or necessary. But please take all as unsubstantiated speculation ... as usual!

Well, if this is the case, then I guess I am done.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Hopefully folks are taking this all with the grain of salt it deserves. "Someone I know had lunch with someone he knows and blah blah blah" isn't much to base anything on.
Then I have to wonder why even bring it up if it's that type of information? Not trying to be a jerk, but you know how 4E talk raises the hackles of just about everyone around here.

Arnwyn

First Post
sfgiants said:
Say what I want, I will probably buy it, but as a result I am going to slow down on 3.5 purchases. Causing WotC to see fewer sales and thinking that 4e is more needed than ever. Anyone else feel the same?
Nope, not even close to the same as you.

3e is our group's last edition. We're older, we have a lot of other things in our lives, and none of my players are even remotely interested in upgrading (it was a fight five years later to get them to go from 2e to 3e, and 3.5 was out of the question regarding them buying 3.5 PHBs - though a couple of the more hardcore ones did).

But then again, I haven't purchased a full-on 'rule' book and/or character option book in a couple of years now (I only purchase FR books, adventures, and easily-insertable-into-FR city-type books), so it's not like it's a big deal. We've been essentially "done" for quite a while now. 3.5 books that meet the above criteria are the only books I'll be purchasing!

Ilium

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
Then I have to wonder why even bring it up if it's that type of information? Not trying to be a jerk, but you know how 4E talk raises the hackles of just about everyone around here.
I asumed it was a joke, actually. Apparently not, but highly unsubstantiated. I will now stick my head back in the sand until such time as WotC announces something. :)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The most interesting - to me, at least - bit is the possibility of WotC selling off the RPG division. That could be the most profound thing to happen to D&D since WotC bought TSR.

Remove ads