Eric Noah's Info

mcrow

Explorer
BryonD said:
Very fun game. If you don't see a difference between it and D&D then I don't know what to say.

shrug

I don't see why.
But those limitations do not exist between the covers of the PH.
You are creating them.
It is not the game's fault that a piece of plastic drains away your ability to RP.
And it is not my fault that I seem to be immune to this attack.

See, I think you are looking @ it differently than I am.

You can role-play anything you want, if you try hard enough. You could Role-play Decent if you wanted to. What I'm saying is some games and their rules hinder role-playing. That's why I don't use minis with D&D and it works OK. If they make it so the game cannot be played without them, then that sucks.

Really, for the most part V3.5 is ok if you dump AoO IMO.

tylerthehobo

Explorer
Fwiw, I just saw the following posted on Gary Gygax's thread (and yes, I know, he is in now way associated with WotC as a designer/editor, but his insight seems consistently wise...):

Just read a short analysis by James Mischler of what is likely to happen in regards to 4E. If he is close to predicting the matter, the new game will be more like an MMPORPG, and all older but recent versions of the D&D game will be generally neglected as have been OA/D&D and 2E.

Cheers,
Gary​

See here for the link:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=167680&page=10

Yes, this is hearsay of hearsay - the person passing along the quote (Gygax) just adds a level of legitimacy. (Kind of like if Paul McCartney were to say that there'd be a reunion of the Wall era Pink Floyd, I guess...)

4th ed be darned!

Someone else said it- As an older player I can not rebuy 100's of dollars of books every 5-10 years as new editions come out. 3/3.5 has enough material out and supplies that I can keep going with the current campaigns / game worlds with near infinity of ideas.

I understand the "percieved" need for 4th ed but I won't touch it. I have drawn a line I can not cross.

BryonD

Hero
mcrow said:
See, I think you are looking @ it differently than I am.

You can role-play anything you want, if you try hard enough. You could Role-play Decent if you wanted to. What I'm saying is some games and their rules hinder role-playing. That's why I don't use minis with D&D and it works OK. If they make it so the game cannot be played without them, then that sucks.

Really, for the most part V3.5 is ok if you dump AoO IMO.

Monopoly existed when earlier editions of D&D existed. Why play D&D when you can role-play Monopoly?

Can you explain to me what exactly with minis or AoOs hinders roleplaying? Or do you claim this is just a self-evident truth?

If you are anywhere in the ballpark of equating Decent to 3E for roleplay support then I stick to my claim that the issue is nowhere other than between your ears.

Also, I know a lot of people who play 3X without minis. And they even keep AoOs. I've never heard of anyone playing Decent without the pieces.

warlord

First Post
They can't do that! I won't let Hasbro turn the original RPG into a crappy WoW knock-off. I vote we start a violent revolution to put Gary back in power.

Remove ads