Eric Noah's Info

BryonD

Hero
tylerthehobo said:
Just read a short analysis by James Mischler of what is likely to happen in regards to 4E. If he is close to predicting the matter, the new game will be more like an MMPORPG, and all older but recent versions of the D&D game will be generally neglected as have been OA/D&D and 2E.

Cheers,
Gary​

:confused:

Is this supposed to suggest that it will be on-line?

JustaPlayer

First Post
BryonD said:
Can you explain to me what exactly with minis or AoOs hinders roleplaying? Or do you claim this is just a self-evident truth?
I myself use AoOs and don't have a problem with them. As for minis, IMO once battle comes up and the minis go down people step out of character and look at it as a general on a battle field trying to get the best moves out of the pieces. That is not necessarily what someone would do in the first person as they wouldn't have the POV. In that since it does indeed change from "role play" to "roll play."

Vigilance

Explorer
warlord said:
They can't do that! I won't let Hasbro turn the original RPG into a crappy WoW knock-off. I vote we start a violent revolution to put Gary back in power.

Yeah! How dare they make the game more like the original Chainmail!

KHANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
I did a little research, and look what I found...

Hasbro Symbol:
NYSE:HAS
Stock Market: New York Stock
Exchange Type: Equity
ISIN: US4180561072

Description:
Change (p) 0.0
Change (%) 0.00
Cur 18.72
Bid
Offer
High 19.2
Low 18.7
Open 18.72
Volume 528300
Time 15:03:25

A

Links
Hasbro board to PC game strategy

D&D for PSP

And finally, the REAL teller...

Attachments

• hasbro A.gif
    hasbro A.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 199
  • hasbro b.gif
    hasbro b.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 200
  • hasbro c.gif
    hasbro c.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 226

Starman

Adventurer
Warlord Ralts said:
...then Hasbro/WotC would have shot themselves in the genitals.

And I won't use my wallet to bandage the wound.

*picturing Mr. Ralts desperately using his wallet to stem the bleeding genitals of a giant wearing a WotC t-shirt*

It's not pretty.

:p

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
tylerthehobo said:
Just read a short analysis by James Mischler of what is likely to happen in regards to 4E. If he is close to predicting the matter, the new game will be more like an MMPORPG, and all older but recent versions of the D&D game will be generally neglected as have been OA/D&D and 2E.

Cheers,
Gary​

I'd like to hope that this would mean that DM'ing and Character Creation tools would be built into the system from the very beginning, but the Infogrames deal (Hasbro sold off all the rights to computer versions of their properties to Infogrames, IIRC) seems to make such a thing unlikely.

As for the second part, I should hope that would be obvious.

Hmm. 177,988,000 shares outstanding. We'd need half+1, so that'd be $1,664,187,800. 40,000 regstered ENWorld accounts....$41,604 each.

I think we need the stock price to drop a bit.

mcrow

Explorer
JustaPlayer said:
As for minis, IMO once battle comes up and the minis go down people step out of character and look at it as a general on a battle field trying to get the best moves out of the pieces. That is not necessarily what someone would do in the first person as they wouldn't have the POV. In that since it does indeed change from "role play" to "roll play."

Thanks, you explained my point better than I knew how. :)

Now as far as AoO:

It ties into what JustaPlayer is talking about. As soon as combat starts players come out of character and start playing a strategy game. Which is fine if they have fun with it, I don't care. AoO just adds to it, people are counting out squares to see if they can get someplace without triggering an AoO and just in general more worried about tactics than the RPing. IMO, characters most likely would not have the time to sit and plan out the prefect tactical solution in most encounters and the use of minis makes that a part of the game.

yeah,yeah....I know, it's all in my head and the game doesn't make you do it. But you know what, then why is it such a common thing in D&D games I play in and not in others that use differnt gaming systems? I don't think anyone intetionally stops role-playing, but when the minis hit the table thats what tends to happen IME.

As a side note, I'm very much a narrative combat type. I like RPing in combat, not just moving minis and rolling dice.

BlackMoria

First Post
**Originally attributed to Gary Gygax**

Now I will let my ignorance really show through.....who in the nine hells is James Mischler? Is he a WOTC employee in the RPG divison or a Hasbro 'suit'?

If he is neither, then his 'prediction' is no more insightful than the several dozen opinions other posters have made in this thread.

Last edited:

fett527

First Post
Festivus said:
Oh, I never thought for a moment scratch cards for stats would work :) Someone else thoguht of those, not me.

But Spell cards, feat cards, treasure cards... all those really could. I use them already in my game (well, not feat cards) and they simplify things a ton and make it more tactile (read: mini-centric). I was just thinking about it from Hasbro's side, how might you get people to pump money into the game... make it random and collectable.

I am not saying it's a bad thing at all, I actually would enjoy seeing the game go this route. *ducks behind the bar for cover from the d20's sure to come my way*
They published spell cards for 2E. Big boxes with cards for each spell. I don't remember using them a lot but I thought they were useful. Not the same concept really since they all came in one big box (as i recall they came as Priest Spells and Arcane or along those lines)but they have been done.

Remove ads