Eric Noah's Info

Corinth

First Post
For what it's worth, I still think that too few people in the business understand that they're trying to sell what are--in function and effect--capital goods with a lifespan of 25-50 years (on average) as if they were disposable consumer goods with a lifespan of (at most) a year or so. Switching models away from the GW model to something more from the heavy industry or basic economic infrastructure model would be far more likely to produce universally desirable results.

Vigilance

Explorer
Corinth said:
For what it's worth, I still think that too few people in the business understand that they're trying to sell what are--in function and effect--capital goods with a lifespan of 25-50 years (on average) as if they were disposable consumer goods with a lifespan of (at most) a year or so. Switching models away from the GW model to something more from the heavy industry or basic economic infrastructure model would be far more likely to produce universally desirable results.

Desirable results for everyone except the publisher- which leads to no new game books- which is desirable for that small percentage of the market that wants their beloved perfect game frozen in amber.

The GW/WoD model isn't an ancient innovation and was adopted by companies in an attempt to increase profitability to the point that their RPG companies were SUSTAINABLE BUSINESSES.

Keep in mind the history of the RPG industry is not one with a long string of IBMs or Standard Oils. It's a history of companies that burn brightly for a time then fade into oblivion.

So when you talk about how undesirable the "Three R" business model is, you should recognize it's one of, if not THE only proven model for an RPG company to be profitable over a long period of time.

Chuck

Driddle

First Post
EricNoah said:
Well there you go! Based on your description of where the info comes from I'd say your source is a step above mine in terms of potential accuracy.

And there you have it, folks! Eric has vouched for the previous message's authenticity. :cool:

Remember, you heard it from me -- aka "some OTHER other guy" -- first. (You can quote that.)

bowbe

First Post
PatrickLawinger said:
I think it is a shame that this got reported as "news" when Eric has already stated that he didn't intend for it to be. It certainly has kicked up the hype some. Now, if True 20 and CnC sales take off, maybe Green Ronin and the Troll Lords need to buy Eric a nice bottle of scotch ...

You know Patrick, I suggested something different, but I don't think Eric's granmma would approve. :cool:

Case

JRRNeiklot

First Post
EricNoah said:
Well here's some more...

I just heard from a high-up at WotC. He says the info is so wrong that he suspects that my source is out to torpedo "my reputation" by giving me something this far off the mark.

Yeah, and the halfling outrider has no base attack....

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
BryonD said:
No.

But I'll drop it here. :)

I hope you know I wasn't suggesting that you drop it. I really feel it has "full thread discussion" potential, as it were. If you don't mind, may I quote you in a new thread that I begin myself? I can do so anonymously, for what it is worth, if you prefer.

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Well, since we are still uncertain of what's happening with a possible 4th edition, I guess we can continue to speculate.

While RPGs may never become a mainstream hobby, there are perhaps some ways to attract more new gamers. Perhaps an improved basic set might work, as well as some products that are enjoyable for veteran players but still easy for new players to use. (Perhaps a Dungeon Delve product that is a low level adventure that is compatable with both a basic set and the core rules books might be a good idea.)

Bobitron

Explorer
This thread has confirmed a couple things in my opinion.

1) I love it when we get info, even unconfirmed and vague info, from people inside the industry. Thanks to Eric, Phil, and Wulf, and other who take the time to make their opinions and meager info known.

2) Wulf continues to crack me up. Man, I wish I had a chance to play with you and GlassJaw when I was in NoPro.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
One problem with the same info spread out over more (and smaller) books is that it makes the DM's job harder.

You're making an assumption that the new edition will require DMs.

There have been subtle-hints that the DMs role is waning. From the strict "boxed" rules of 3e with it's various states and conditions, from products based to be purchased by players and not DMs, to even guidelines on convincing the DM that his rules may not be in-line with the popular viewpoint.

I'll bet they make the game so a DM is optional.

Remove ads