• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eric Noah's Info

BryonD

Hero
Mark CMG said:
I hope you know I wasn't suggesting that you drop it. I really feel it has "full thread discussion" potential, as it were. If you don't mind, may I quote you in a new thread that I begin myself? I can do so anonymously, for what it is worth, if you prefer.
No problem and I certainly do not mind you quoting me elsewhere.
I just agreed with you that it had gone astray from this thread. I'm afraid it is easy to follow a tangent without being fully aware of how far you have gone.

Beyond that, I didn't see much more to say anyway.

But if you'd like to discuss it, I'd be quite happy to follow.

Obrysii

First Post
JohnRTroy said:
You're making an assumption that the new edition will require DMs.

There have been subtle-hints that the DMs role is waning. From the strict "boxed" rules of 3e with it's various states and conditions, from products based to be purchased by players and not DMs, to even guidelines on convincing the DM that his rules may not be in-line with the popular viewpoint.

I'll bet they make the game so a DM is optional.

With the "simplifcation" of the monster format, expanded magic item format, expanded PrC format (including lore information), as well as the aforementioned boxed rules...I have to agree with you.

All of the other moves to "increase the speed and easy of play" that WoTC is doing...doesn't hurt your theory.

genshou

First Post
JohnRTroy said:
You're making an assumption that the new edition will require DMs.

There have been subtle-hints that the DMs role is waning. From the strict "boxed" rules of 3e with it's various states and conditions, from products based to be purchased by players and not DMs, to even guidelines on convincing the DM that his rules may not be in-line with the popular viewpoint.

I'll bet they make the game so a DM is optional.
There is one advantage to this line of thought.

It'd fix the severe ratio of potential players to potential DMs in online gaming... :cool:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
BryonD said:
No problem and I certainly do not mind you quoting me elsewhere.
I just agreed with you that it had gone astray from this thread. I'm afraid it is easy to follow a tangent without being fully aware of how far you have gone.

Beyond that, I didn't see much more to say anyway.

But if you'd like to discuss it, I'd be quite happy to follow.

Thanks. :) Well, let's see what it brings -

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=170598

tylerthehobo

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Another related problem is the publisher managing that info and doing a good job of testing each new rule against each other existing rule. The more it's chopped up, the easier I think it would be to make some major mistakes.

Speaking as someone who's worked in publishing in one capacity or another for almost a decade, while there are pamphlet / small paperback houses that do just that and do fine (on a small scale), big publishers don't think in terms of 64 p. $10 pamphlets. The amount of effort into a 64 p. booklet is not half the effort of a 128 p. booklet - it's still a good chunk of writing, editing, layout, publishing, marketing, distribution... The margins (profit, not page) would probably be better off of the 128 p. book. I doubt we'll see $10 booklets/pamphlets about a cluster of feats or a single class anytime soon.

But then again, no one would have ever thought that $3 packs of cards with pictures of spells in action on them would sell either, so...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Tyler,

Yeah and people weren't sure about mice either. Or this internet thing either. Times they are a-changing...

Remove ads