• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eric Noah's Info

Llaurenela

First Post
Grazzt said:
Exactly. Which, is similar (not quite the same thing though) to what happened to TSR in the mid to late 90s. They had so many campaign worlds out there they were trying to support (Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Planescape, etc) that they fractured their own market...and many of those said campaign worlds did not do all that well (from a profit-margin POV I mean).

Like I said...not quite the same...but yeah, WotC would be foolish to reprint material for older editions (Id love to see it and be the first to buy it..well actually probably not since I have everything WotC/TSR has done since the Chainmail days :)) Like DCAS said above, they would be supporting two totally different product lines...just isnt gonna happen.

They can lease the reprint rights to someone else or release more material on pdfs at no cost to themselves and reap greater profits. They are not producing new materials so there is no socalled support costs. The comparison to TSR is without merit and is a straw man.

Llaurenela

First Post
dcas said:
WOTC is in the business of making money. If they seriously believed that the additional investment required to support both "new" D&D as well as "classic" D&D could be recouped in the market, and their profits increased proportionally, they would be doing it.

This is business, not personal. ;)

First of all, there is no additional cost to sell pdfs or lease the rights to reprint to someone else. The whole additional investment part is completely untrue, it is a red herring.

Second of all, it is not a sound business decision that they have made, therefore it must be personal.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Llaurenela said:
First of all, there is no additional cost to sell pdfs or lease the rights to reprint to someone else. The whole additional investment part is completely untrue, it is a red herring.

Second of all, it is not a sound business decision that they have made, therefore it must be personal.
Not a sound business decision? Here I thought WotC was doing pretty darn good...

Look, just because you say something over and over and over and over ad nauseum doesn't make it reality. Plus, coming out and derailing a thread about 4E with all this hoopla about how WotC isn't listening to their consumers by not printing old edition material and then making all sorts of wild *unsubstantiated* accusations about WotC and (more importantly) other posters isn't a good way to get your point across.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Llaurenela said:
I am not worked up...

There are no valid arguements that are legitimate...

Those of you who are defending them are doing so with no valid arguements.

They do not have any legitimate reason.

Anyone who claims otherwise it out of touch with reality or has some personal axe to grind...

... no one can truthfully claim that there is any legitimate reason....

... His points are not valid.

Your point is without any merit whatsoever.

...completely untrue, it is a red herring.

The comparison to TSR is without merit and is a straw man.
Frankly, when someone tosses out self-assured absolutes as freely as you seem to enjoy, I would think they were a little worked up about something. Plus it betrays an attitude of superiority that is more than a little off putting and undermines whatever point there might be.

And an aside... can one have a valid argument that is not legitimate? Or an invalid argument that is legitmate? Curious minds... ;)

Llaurenela

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
Not a sound business decision? Here I thought WotC was doing pretty darn good...

Look, just because you say something over and over and over and over ad nauseum doesn't make it reality. Plus, coming out and derailing a thread about 4E with all this hoopla about how WotC isn't listening to their consumers by not printing old edition material and then making all sorts of wild *unsubstantiated* accusations about WotC and (more importantly) other posters isn't a good way to get your point across.

There are no unsubstantiated accusations about WOTC, just the facts. The truth is all of the OOP products could be sold today, if someone at WOTC did not have an axe to grind against the original game. Anyone who says otherwise must own a lot of stock in WOTC. Or more likely is a complete fool. As for my comment about dcas, that is fact and can be documented if anyone wants to go do some reading.

It is obvious that you and a few others have a vested interest in the status quo pravda style "truth" about why the OOP are OOP. You can attack me all you want to, however, you can try telling the truth. My first post in this thread had nothing to do with this thread being derailed and to say otherwise is a bald faced lie. This thread got derailed when personal attacks where posted in response to my first post in this thread. My attempting to defend myself is not derailing a thread, if you say it is then you are a liar. I did nothing to derail this thread until I was attacked. If you don't like the facts, then try leaving me alone.

When someone replies to a post of mine with the comment:

This post made baby jesus cry.

I do go on the offense; if you have a problem with that then you might want to advise people, that when they make anti-religious vulgar attacks on me they will have to live with the results. You all want a fight, then you can have one. That quoted comment, that was allowed to stand gives me the right defend myself and I will. I do not take kindly to be called a "BITCH," especially in response to a quite reasonable statement of fact that the quoted poster was responding to.

Last edited:

zoroaster100

First Post
Maybe WOTC doesn't want to help fragment the D&D market by providing help to those who want to support editions other than the one for which they are currently putting out product. Whether or not you agree with that decision, I'm pretty confident that whatever their reasoning, it is based on business and profitability, and not some nefarious scheme to keep a few individuals from playing the edition they want to play.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Llaurenela said:
I do not take kindly to be called a "BITCH," especially in response to a quite reasonable statement of fact that the quoted poster was responding to.
You are taking offense to his sigfile. He didn't call you BITCH.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Llaurenela said:
There are no unsubstantiated accusations about WOTC, just the facts. The truth is all of the OOP products could be sold today, if someone at WOTC did not have an axe to grind against the original game.
Ok, I'm getting tired. Prove it or just go away. Seriously, prove it. Otherwise you're just blowing a ton of hot air.

Llaurenela said:
Anyone who says otherwise must own a lot of stock in WOTC. Or more likely is a complete fool. As for my comment about dcas, that is fact and can be documented if anyone wants to go do some reading.
You know 2 things about me, sweetheart: jack and crap. I don't own stock in WotC and would actually enjoy seeing more of the OOP catalog back in print. However, what I don't like is someone going around making hilarious judgements against companies like they're run by a cliquish pack of high schoolers. Once again, so the documentation. Prove you claims.

Llaurenela said:
It is obvious that you and a few others have a vested interest in the status quo pravda style "truth" about why the OOP are OOP.
Nope. Wrong. BZZZT. I could care less about the status quo. What I don't like is this guns blazing, but hitting nothing style of argumenation that you have. All that I ask is that you prove one single accusation, or at least not attack anyone who disagrees with you as being some moron that can't see the "truth".

<snipped a bunch of stuff>

Llaurenela said:
I do go on the offense; if you have a problem with that then you might want to advise people, that when they make anti-religious vulgar attacks on me they will have to live with the results. You all want a fight, then you can have one. That quoted comment, that was allowed to stand gives me the right defend myself and I will. I do not take kindly to be called a "BITCH," especially in response to a quite reasonable statement of fact that the quoted poster was responding to.

LOL!!! That's his sigfile! Anyone with a modicum of intelligence should have figured that out! LOL!!!!

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Llaurenela said:
Anyone who says otherwise must own a lot of stock in WOTC. Or more likely is a complete fool.

Hey! I'm not a fool! So where are my stocks!!!

Are they included in the books? <starts to frantically search his shelves>

Sigh ... I don't find any. I guess I'm a fool then ... :]

/M

dcas

First Post
zoroaster100 said:
Maybe WOTC doesn't want to help fragment the D&D market by providing help to those who want to support editions other than the one for which they are currently putting out product. Whether or not you agree with that decision, I'm pretty confident that whatever their reasoning, it is based on business and profitability, and not some nefarious scheme to keep a few individuals from playing the edition they want to play.
Exactly.

WOTC is in the business of making money, not in the business of making old-school gamers unhappy. I might disagree with their decision not to support both AD&D and 3.x, but it doesn't follow that their decision is due to some personal animus against the old game.

Now, WOTC could change my mind if they came out with something like the joke "Castle Greyhawk" released by TSR in the late 1980s. Then maybe I could conclude that someone at WOTC has an axe to grind.

Remove ads