Eryiedes Campaign Madness....The Keep on the Shadowfell

Eryiedes

First Post
The Keep on the Shadowfell:
Fallcrest is nestled in a broad borderland named Nentir Vale.
Only sparsely populated, many dangers await those who travel outside the few towns and villages that dot the land....but nearly as frequently, danger comes just as often from within fortified walls as without.
Although a northern land, the Vale sees little snowfall and summers almost seem idyllic.
It is from this quiet place that you recieve urgent dispatch....
A rider on winded mount arrives at the steps of an ancient temple carved into the living stone of the mountain that shields it.
He approaches the pair of dark robed priests who stand like sentinels at the top of the gargantuan stairwell.
Walking with purpose, but mindful to their bow in their presence, the exhausted rider holds up a vellum scroll with a dwarven seal.
The priests simply point to deep within the temple beyond and part for him to pass.
Leaving both blade and shield at the entrance, he gingerly steps into the massive ancient monument.
Seemly swallowed whole by the sheer majesty of stone, rows of monarchs of ages long passed stand like sentries to the nervous riders arrival.
Appearing lost, he calls out...but the only reply are the sounds of his own echos...."Gorshak!!!"
He turns and with a puzzled look ponders his next action, never suspecting the shape behind him is that of a goliath and not a statue.
His massive hand reaches out to alert the rider....
An arm pushes open the front doors of a rowdy tavern.
Lost in the commotion of revelry and gambling another dispatch rider tries to make his way throught the crowd.
Rowdy patrons cheer, drink and shout encouragement to a half-orc savage and a giant human brute locked in an arm wrestling match unlike any the rider has ever seen.
A contraption of pully's and ropes and nails designed to impale the hand of a losing arm wrestling contender.
Not wanting to waste a single moment to this spectacle before him he calls out:
"Mardok...." (The orc raises an eyebrow but does not break focus) "...Dispatch from Arune Staul for Mardok!"
Upon uttering this, the half-orc turn to look at the rider.
Thinking his opponent distracted, the brute tries to capitalize on the moment and exerts the last of his strength to get the orc to budge but with a horrid growl and ease of fluid motion the competition ends in the sounds of human agony and tearing flesh.
Visibly disturbed by the display the rider holds out his trembling hand to give Mardok the parchment....
A trembling hand goes to hand yet another sealed scroll, yet this time to a deva who stands once more in places most sacred.
With a knowing smile...the hooded figure, with only a look assures the rider of his safety as an aura of warmth and light bathes the room in brilliance making it impossible to mistake the recievers angelic origins.
Tension subsided to relief in a wash of luminous intent.
Breaking the seal he begins to unfurl the scroll and and read the contents to himself out loud only to freeze in an expression of shock as he reads the words: "has been lost".
The scroll is dropped by the shaken cleric before he can finish it as he walks out passed the rider, leaving him alone with the silent members of the Order of Bahamut who seem just as confused as the rider is by Quinn's hastened departure....

The sheet flutters to the ground at the feet of a darkly cloaked Eladrin who is startled by the sound of the city guards pounding on his hostel door.
Hastily he grabs his backpack over one shoulder while skewering the scroll with his longsword for ease of recovery.
Behind him, the door begin's to splinter.
With a taunting smirk the rogue waves at the guards through the newly created breach in the door.
Stepping backwards into a shadow and with all to farmiliar laughter, he vanishes from the room only to emerge from a shadow of the stables beneath his room's window.
He pauses briefly to look at the scroll and has a look of grave worry overtakes his features...
A massive column of wounded men and wagons move in an unending procession from the site of a great battle as marked in the distance by dozens of pillars of smoke that climb the heavens above.
On a wagon for critically wounded, a weary man tends to the dying.
Pushing the blood smeared scroll, the badly wounded rider tries to give the urgent dispatch to Travis.
He clings feebly to the hand of the Warlord who tries to comfort him while pushing the scroll to his hand.
with heavy heart, Morgan drives a misery corps into the heart of the suffering man and in an instant, all is quiet.
Stifling his tears he looks solemnly to the bloodied parchment and wonders what could be worth another brave man's life.
Stepping from the "meat wagon" he joins the procession of walking wounded as the bedraggled and beaten army moves south with the majestic peaks of the Jotenheim's mocking their retreat as they go.
The scene dissolves once more a crossroads at the edge of Nentir Vale.
A massive goliath and a weary human watch as a brutish half-orc and a slender eladrin approach from the South and a luminous deva from the west.
The motley assortment would be half expected to do combat with each other rather than what happens next.
Without a word they all look sullenly to the township that lies before them.....and step as one into the dusk before them.
Fielin: "Well, what now?"
Mardok: "I'm HUNGRY."
Fielin: "(I never would of seen that coming)"
Gorshak: "This is as good a place as any to make camp..."
Quinn: "Then let us make haste...the night is sure to bring its share of perils."
Travis simply nods in agreement and (with a certain degree of satisfaction) FINALLY takes the pack from his back and lets it drop to the ground.
Fielin: "Did you heard that?"
Travis: "What....thats just Mardok's stomach?"
Fielin: "Not that!"
Quinn: "I think I heard it too...."
The party looks warily into the night around them.
Shadows play and dance on the foliage of the forest and suddenly a group of grouse take to flight, alerting the assembled heros to the danger that even now charges through the night at them.
From behind the camp, party is charged by a group of goblins driven insane by an inhuman hunger for the taste of fresh man-flesh.
From in front, another of their Blackbladed bretheren and a Cutter make their advance on the heros.
Looking to the ambushers in the rear, the devan cleric Sears the central most foe with a burst of divine radience that leaves its shrieking foe smoking and bloodied.
Quinn: "CRADLE OF LIGHT!"
The nimble attckers charge the encampment with violent abandon with no regard for personal safety as they charge passed closer targets to strike at their intended.
The goliath paladin towering over diminutive opponent is taunted by the blackblade as he dances around his giant opponent but a slash from the knights kopesh convinces his foe of a different strategy.
Travis, seeing Mardok maybe in danger of being flanked, moves in behind the blackblade closest to him.
The barbarian half-orc takes a mighty swing at his smaller opponent but fails to find his mark in the din of combat.
Holding forth a symbol of his faith, the devan points to his enemy and a brilliant ray of light sears his foe...sparkles of light then linger around the target as he falls but fail guide any of the hero's strikes.
Quinn: "LANCE OF FAITH!"
The sneaky goblins jockey and shift for position and finding a vunerable target, manage to land a ferocious blow on his distant cousin.
Flustered by the savagery of the attack, the barbarian is unable to get his target to stand still long enough to strike him.
While distracted, the sneaky cutter jumps in to attack the deva while he seeks to assist the wounded barbarian and manages to draw blood with his strike.
Quinn snarls in pain....."SMITE HIM"
Gorshaks swing seeks to punish his enemy but his blade finds nothing but air, but it gives Mardok the opportunity to catch his breath against the savage goblins.
Mordak finding himself nearly surrounded attempt to beat his foes back but they are too many and too tiny.
Quinn: "Don't worry friend, I have your back."...as does Travis who moves in and attracts the ire of his enemy who tries to keep him at bay....Quinn, however has more success and the back of his hand makes contact with goblin nose in a sickening crunch.
The Mighty barbarian swings once more but distracted by wounds and is unable to strike at his enemy.
The massive goliath brings his kopesh down with full force on his foe's skull with the wet crunch of bone and tissue his dirty green-skinned opponent slumps lifelessly to the ground....he then looks from bloody sword to goblin, smiling madly.
Seeing an opening Mardok capitalizes on the moment and sends his cutter foe screaming into the afterlife....or whatever it is that goblin's have happen to them when they epically fail their diety and lose the ability to breathe!
Quinn: "Goblins are stupid."
Gorshak: "I'm not complaining...leave it at that....besides what will you accomplish by telling someone with a PINK MOHAWK that they are stupid?!"
Once more with a shout of divine power, the cleric attempts to invoke the power of his god once more but it only results in a haphazard retaliatory swing.
Not wanting to be left out of the mele....Gorshak charges into the middle of the fray only to trip in spectacular fashion fumbling into The Mighty Quinn knocking both of them down in front of the evil blackblades.
Gorshak grumbles loudly at his folly as only a goliath can.
Mardok shakes his head in shame at the "fallen" comrades as Gorshak the Clumbsy gets to his feet.
The Mighty Quinn, dignified immortal of the cloth that he is, simply crawls away from the debacle of shame that is their accident.
As he does, he murmers a prayer to his diety...invoking a blast of white radience from the symbol of Bahamut at his neck...every goblin present is burnt by this stern light and Travis, Gorshak and Mardok instead take heart in their enemies agony as more gobins goto the abyss beyond the pale.
With the din of combat passed the weary heros look to each other once more in triumph....with the exception of the shamed paladin who only seeks to return to his tent in humility.
Mardok: "Who wants the drumstick?"
Disgusted by the notion of eating goblin meat Travis can only wrinkle his nose at the comment until he stops as if he remembered something.
Travis: "Uhhh, fellas....where did Fielin go?"
The remaining heros look at each other in confusion.
View of the village of Fallcrest as nightfall begins to creep in once more.
The heros all gather around a hearth in a cozy and comfortable home obviously belonging to a Dwarf.
The trappings of marriage, war and long life hang from the walls and ceilings of the "miniaturized" homestead.
Arune brings them various breads and cheeses with a selection of water, warm milk and honey and buttermilk tea and a flagon of warm pig's blood for Mardok.
Sitting around Douven's hearth they can recall their youths, spent by this very fireplace as though it were yesterday.
Arune:"Thank you all for coming on such short notice."
"I'll tell you what I know."
"Three monthes ago, Douven went to Winterhaven...still obcessed with dragon's hordes all these years later...I'll never understand-"
"He even had a map this time, claimed it had on it the very tomb he had been looking for.....Dracos Blancos Horribilus."
"If he could find it he said he would finally be able to create his masterpiece...a full suit of white dragonscale armor."
"Winterhaven is not that far away...I should have heard something from him by now...it's been an entire season."
"Don't know who else to turn to....please, you must help me find him."
Her aged diminutive dwarven frame tries to bow before the assembled company but is quickly stopped and helped to stand by Travis.
Travis: "You bow to no one in present company...in fact, it is I who should be bowing to you..."
"...if not for you and Douven I am sure Ogden would have had me living in the shire by now."
"My sword is ever at your service."

END PART I....TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited:

Ftr

First Post
Settled serenely in a comfortable chair by the hearth, Quinn sips appreciatively from his tea and ponders the words of Arune.

"There are those here who would quest for Douven in regards for past favors or in memory of the fleeting friendships of this mortal world. I am not one of them." Quinn declares softly. Gasps of outrage fill the room. Hands stray to hilts. Mardok's unibrow clenches in rising fury. Quinn raises his hand, "Peace. It is my intention to find Douven and return him safely, but for a greater reason. You will please forgive me for droning on, but none of you realize the significance of my presence."

"I was not born of this world as were you. I am not here by chance or whim. I was placed here by Him who I serve to attend to matters that, forgive me Dear Lady, are vastly more important than the life of an old dwarf. I do not know as of yet what this task is that I must complete, what wrong must be righted, but I do know what must be done now."

"What do you mean?" comes a throaty growl from the enormous knight sitting in the corner. "What must be done?" Gorshak wanted to give the cleric the benefit of the doubt. He felt both a respect for his station and a bit sheepish for falling on the priest during the earlier combat. He decided to hear him out before he crushed his small blue head in his fist.

"I mean, Mighty One, that Douven did not disappear because he was careless or weak. He disappeared because fate is usinghim to place our feet upon the path that leads us to our real goal. I submit to you all, that if we find Douven we come a step closer to solving the mystery of my being here at this time, in this place. A mystery that unsolved may well have dire consequences not to a lone dwarf but for every soul in this area. It could be a monster uprising or a dark magic rising from obscurity, or even an agent of evil that my master wishes defeated. We will only know when we locate Douven." With this pronouncement, Quinn sinks back into his chair, letting the flickering light from the fire mingle with the dancing motes of light that seem to shimmer just under his skin.

"I wish I could take comfort in that, Holy One." whispered Arune. She turns to Travis and the others. "You...all of you. You will swear to me that you will find Douven and return him to me? I..I fear I cannot go on alone without him..." The old dwarven matron breaks down into tears, sobbing into Travis's chest.

Quinn's gentle voice falls gently upon her ears, "Douven shall be brought home, my dear. You will have many years left to comfort each other's souls. Trust in one who's eyes have seen a thousand lifetime's journeys. Spirits like yours and Douvens have nothing to fear and only blessed travels ahead of you."

"This tea is remarkably good." This last remark of Quinns catches the entire room by surprise and brings a welcome round of laughter and smiles.

Last edited:

FusionCell

First Post
Carefully getting to his feet, hunching under the ceiling, the goliath slowly walks to the window.
"The forge is still in the back garden."
Arune looks up at the massive figure crossing the room, "Y-yes..."
Gorshak stops and rests a giant hand on the small woman's shoulder. "Don't worry, I will find Douven and I will return him, I promise. It is the least we all owe."
The dwarven lady nods and watches Gorshak, slowly and cautiously, leave the room.

He walks into the garden, kneels down in front of the whetstone and begins sharpening his fellows' weapons.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Mardok absently takes a big gulp from the flagon that was given to him, before realizing that it has been filled with some kind of blood.

"What the hell is this crap? Do you really think of me as a miserable blood thirsty beast that I would want this?". Mardok gets to his feet, clenching his large scarred hands into tightly knotted fists. "Did you take a look at me and thing 'oh look, a Half Orc. Rather then waste any ale or spirits on him, as if he were a normal person I think I will go out back and slaughter some random animal and serve him up a nice steaming mug of blood?"

At this point Mardok stops for a moment with everyone else in the room looking at him quizzically with a rather grim thought occurring to him "This is animal blood right? Did you murder someone in the back area just to play this sick goddamn joke on me? I had a #*&! mouthful of it, and it is warm. Did you just cut some miserable unlucky bastards throat and then come back out here and serve us drinks? What the unholy hell is wrong with you?" Mardok shakes his head while looking warily at Arune, making ready for any sudden moves. He draws his Great Axe, and slams it into the floor, keeping it within easy reach, and then retakes his seat. He absently reaches over and grabs the milk jug and carefully looks into it, and then proceeds to drink the entire pitcher directly, all the while keeping a wary eye on Arune.

END COMMUNICATION

Ftr

First Post
"Mardok, please reign in your temper. A misguided attempt at hospitality is no cause for violence. I'm certain Arune thought only of providing for your comfort. Certainly you will agree that she would never knowingly anger a mighty warrior and the possible savior of her husband just as she begs his help?" Quinn's reasoned. His aura of confident tranquility fairly radiated as he held Mardok's stare. "We have a long road to travel together, my friend, and there will be many obstacles in our path. Our fellowship consists of a diverse group with many ways that are strange. You would be well served to bank the fires that rage within until they can be fanned by need in battle!"

The tall cleric rises gracefully and crosses the room to lay a gentle hand on Arune's quaking head. "Let not his fearsome demeanor scare you, Dear Lady. His growl is much less dangerous than his bite, but it only signifies his desire to perform deeds of action than sit idly and drink tea...or blood." Quinn smiles and nods his head. "It may be this ferocious hero who saves your husband in the end. Besides, Noble Gorshak would have something to say were he to hear even an implied threat to an innocent woman...and who is going to argue with Gorshak?"

"I feel that we are almost ready to embark on our mission, but a piece is missing. It may be that our ranks are not yet filled. Fate may yet bring us a champion to aid our endeavors. Soon. Yes. I believe that I will wait outside and see what may come our way." With that, QUinn walks to the front door and goes outside leaving Mardok and Fielin to enjoy tea and cookies with an old dwarven woman. A smile touches his beatific face.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Mardok glowers at Quinn, grabbing the loaf of bread and taking a massive bite out of it before placing it back on the table. Holding Quinns gaze, Mardok then says "Gymph hurr bl angmongle mrfrym. Krmph domp flngle mol krym magrm mf hlmg nrfmp. Mylm glip hff gblmng dalph hoblk flabdidlba dastlulip. Iglphdbmegar marmgip hrm. Wandn hadtobic, hat the hell are you smiling about anyway Quinn?." Looking at Arune, Mardok then says "We will find your missing mate Arune. It will be easy enough. Can't promise he will be breathing when we find him though. But if he is dead, we will bring back his scalp or something for you. But if you want his whole body, that will cost extra."

END COMMUNICATION

Eryiedes

First Post
The party retires to the "barn" out in the back of the blacksmith's property.
Converted to house warriors as they trained, by their own bare hands some 15 seasons ago....it seemed almost strange that it stands to this day in mute testimony of days long passed.
Travis: "It isn't the Fox & Fiddle but after a long march....it'll do."
(He tosses his pack to the hay and lets himself fall beside it...(observant not to fall onto his sword)...only too thankful to finally get his boots off and run his toes through the straw)
"Wintervale is only three days travel from here but if last evening was any indicator of the travels that lie ahead of us, we're gonna need all the sleep we can get....it isn't long till sunrise."
Fielin: "I don't know....I think after tonight, I'd feel safer bunking with the Kobolds than sleeping around any of you guys...."
(Everyone looks at him in grim stoney silence)
"....but at least you fellows bathe more often..."
(They all leave him in disgust standing alone at the entrance to the barn)
"....well, MOST of you anyways."
(He mutters under his breath)
Travis continues; "If there is anything you might have cause to procure we're unlikely to find a place better than this one."
"Also, if you have cause to compose a will....to anyone....now, would be your last chance."

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Mardok gives Travis a questioning look and asks "Are you so afraid of death that you worry about such things? In the event I die, I expect I will be too dead to care much about what happens to my stuff. In the event you die, I am taking anything of value off of your bloody corpse. Wont do you any good, and if your next of kin have any problems with that, they can try to take it back from me.

END COMMUNICATION

Eryiedes

First Post
With the first light of dawn, the group of intrepid adventurer's set out towards Winterhaven and whatever the future may hold for them.
Glorious death, fame, fortune....perhaps if they we indeed fortunate, they might find all of them but for right now they would settle for simply finding Douven.
While the group gathered outside the front eager to depart, Travis said his farewells to Arune and left her a sealed letter in the event of his death.
He told her; "I carry nothing on me but these modest pocessions...but see that Ogden gets this if..."
She hugged him a final time and said she hadn't time for such nonsence and he would give it to Ogden himself when they all returned and with that gesture bid them all farewell and good journey.
Travelling to Winterhaven, the party was unusually quiet.
Alert to every sound of the trail, unconcerned with foraging.
Nights spent by the fire nearly as silent and wordless as the days of travel that preceed them.
Almost as though the future were bearing down on them like a cyclone in the terrible din before the storm.
A discernable difference was noticed once they had crossed into the hills of the Gardbury Downs.
The birds seemed to stop singing with the dawn....flora a fauna once everywhere became scare and "guarded"....the feeling of being watched or followed became inescapable.
On the middle of the final days travel, Winterhaven finally came into view on the horizon.
With wind cool and the road before them level except for the odd ancient cobblestone jutting up sporadically.
Decades of negligence have taken their toll on this ancient causeway.
Various tracks tell tales of passage but more curious still are many more recent marks made by small clawed feet.
Quinn, Gorshak and Travis walked along the the King's Road proper as Mardok and Fielin keep pace near the treeline and it is fortunate that they did for it was Fielin's eladrin eyes that first detected the ambush.
When the alarm was first raised, the cleric reacted first but in his haste to confront the attackers that Fielin had pointed out, he nearly triped over two other ambushers....literally.
"KOBOLDS!!!" yelled out Travis.
"DIVINE GLOW" was the reply from the radiant cleric but the pair of Dragonshields were far stronger than their brethren and they easily shrug off the divine assault.
Not to let the moment pass, Travis capitalizes to his enemies distraction and slams his shield headlong into is opponents shield and sends him staggering backwards with the force of the blow...but being alone with his enemy, there is no one nearby to take advantage of the opening he creates.
Mardok charges forth to confront the obviously superior Dragonshields and leaves Fielin along the treeline with a handful of Minions, but his axe fails to find a target but at the completion of his swing, he notices another group of Kobolds in addition to the two groups they currently face.
"WE ARE AMBUSHED!!!" growled the Half Orc.
Fielin confronted with two Minions (and more on the way) begins to fall back to the others flourishing his blade as he goes but failing to distract his opponent.
Gorshak sizes up his enemy and then unleashes a valiant strike against his foe now nearly surrounded by smaller opponents.
His Kopesh land with such force that his opponent is cleaved clean in two from head to groin followed by a torrent of gore, meat and splintered bone.
He is however still surrounded by enemies regardless of success and the smaller agile opponents cut mercilessly at their foes.
Two of the attackers have slings and loading special pots, they unleash a volly of Stinkpots.
One finds its mark with Quinn the deva who is choked by the fumes....the other lands near Gorshak but misses the titanic goliath.
As one of the charging attackers tries to pass, Quinn unleashes a beam of radiant light from his outstreched hand but the pyre of light lands only upon the grass of the meadow.
Seeing Mardok has put himself in the middle of the melee once more, Morgan barks out a command while holding his opponent at bay; "THAT ONE...MARDOK...DON'T LET HIM THROUGH!"
The massive half orc swings his great axe around as if it were a twig and nearly sends the Dragonshield reeling bloodied from the force of the blow.
"YEESSS...If I were Gruumsh I would be wary to keep my "eye" on you!"...a simple gesture but it inspires the bloodied barbarian to renewed effort.
Fielin dashes toward the road and drawing his handbow in a single fluid flourish and unleashes a bolt into the mass of Kobolds that swarm them but is unable to find his mark.
Mardok fills himself with the Rage of Tyrants and upon striking down his Dragonshield foe, his great axe continues on in a Great Cleaving arc that fells a second foe in the wake of the first, each fallen enemy filling the barbarian with even greater vigor and frenzy.
Mardok: "DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE!!!"
The single foe not wounded by the half orc's attack would turn to move but the looming shadow of the paladin fell over the Minions cowering form.
Gorshak boldly confronts his enemy searing it with divine light: "Take ME on flea!"
A blade slices near to the charging goliath but hits only air...unfortunately, unflagging courage fail to find favor with his deity but risking all he easily wades in regardless straight into the heart of the combat unscathed!
Suddenly from behind, a pot of flaming ash smashes to the ground behind Mardok alerting him to a new foe.
Mardok: "Think you can take a swing at me...you're gonna DIE for that!"
A mighty effort by the savage warrior fails to strike his foe but forces the enemy back out of pure ferocity.
Another Firepot is flung into the heart of the combat and suddenly the eladrin finds him self engulfed in flames that lick at his cloak.
Quinn though wounded by javalin holds up his symbol of Bahamut and a luminous Lance of Faith stabs out at the Kobold Minion and leaves his smoking, scorched remains lying on the battlefield.
Travis tries to open up his enemies defences with a calculated blow but miscalculates...in frustration he continues to press his assault but it ends as shield crashes into shield to no end.
Mardok presses his attack and would have surely missed his smaller opponent were it not for Morgan's tactical dominance, and a freshly bloodied slinger is his reward.
Fielin, after dropping his smoldering cloak, realizing he is now alone as the combat shifts and is now in danger of being flanked, simply steps into the Fey and emerges else where into the fray.
Brandishing his blade with eladrin flare, his opponent isn't struck or impressed by the display of swordmanship....angered by effort he attempts a further Riposte on this ambusher but begins to show genuine concern that he is unable to assist his companions in the combat.
Moving confidently among the attackers, Gorshak strikes valiantly at the Kobold swarm and culls another Minion from their ranks and yelling to his companion: "You face ME now!"
In the ensueing mele all are struck savagely by the Kobolds but Fielin fares worse than his companions.
Speaking a silent prayer to his dragon god asks for his mercy to heal his friend's wounds.....Quinn has his faith rewarded.
Travis sees another Kobold about to slip through but after shouting a order to the bloody barbarian, axe steel is all that awaits the small reptilian creature to usher him into the afterlife.
Fielin seeks to confound his enemy with dazzling swordwork but is unable to bring the fight to his opponent: "WHY HAVE THE GOD'S FORSAKEN MY STEEL!?!"...he cries out.
Quinn: "Because you left me alone to get mobbed you jackass!"
Seeing the battle turn against them, one of the Kobolds seeks to flee from the melee but just as the last unfortunate soul had discovered...the shadow of the barbarian half orc looming behind him is the last thing he will ever see.
Covered with grue and guts, Mardok goes to roar triumphantly but has the moment cut short when a Gluepot strikes the ground at the Half orcs feet and immobilizes him.
Moving confidently among the battle, a Valiant Strike from the paladin sends another unworthy soul to its bloody end as sword and blade alike simply bounce off him....he roars triumphantly having saved the injured Quinn from certain death.
Quinn smiles his gratitude to the giant holy warrior.
Attempting a last ditch defence against the goliath's onslaught they attack him as one but are unable to strike his titanic form.
Gorshak laughs at the pitiful attempt: "You'll have to do better than THAT."
Still unable to move....the Kobold unleashes a stone a Mardok but it misses the barbarian, who is more concerned with dislodging his feet from the sticky trap than actually being being struck.
With a shrill timber, Quinn calls out to the heaven's: "BAHAMUT, GRANT ME THIS CASCADE OF LIGHT!!!" and a pillar of luminous vengence decends upon the Slinger who had just tried to strike Mardok and he is burnt alive by divine radiance.
Mardok: "HEY, HE WAS MINE!!!"
Pulling an hand axe from his belt and releasing it in one fluid motion, Mardok solves his mobolity problem as his thrown hand axe finds Kobold skull with a wet crunch of bone and tissue.
More inspiring words from Travis help his companion to find the resolve he need and in burst of sheer strenght, Mardok pulls free of the Gluepot and lets momentum carry him on a Howling Charge at his target; "RRAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"
His hulking form simply bowls over the helpless smaller form before him as he tramples all in his path.
Quinn staggers from a combination of the exertion of combat and his wounds.
Fielin's eladrin skill with the blade has become legendary in the Vale...but apparently the kobolds have never heard of THAT place and he continues to miss regardless of the circumstances.
Quinn chastizes the clumbsy rogue; "What kind of warrior are you?"
Gorshak: "Bad day to be a kobold I guess." and sizing up his enemy once more swings valiantly but thinning ranks cause his khopesh to miss the heart of combat.
The cleric snarls furiously "LANCE OF FAITH!!!" and yet another of the lizard-like Minions goes to its maker in a flash of searing radiance.
Morgan tries to drive his shoulder into the Dragonshield before him but his momentum stops abruptly as shield meets shield with a tremendous crash.
Travis: "COME BACK HERE YA LIL'..."
Darkshore then throws his sword to the grass; "Screw this, if I can't hit him...I'll grab him!"...and charges up to the sling bearing foe, is cut by his dagger, but not before the eladrin successfully grabs his target.....FINALLY!
"Let's see you get away from THIS you lil' motherfu-"
From behind Mardok presses his attack and charges upon the unsupecting pair and covers the shocked rogue in the welter of gore that was the sling bearing Kobold he had been holding not a second earlier.
Fielin: " WTF!?!...BY THE GODS!!!....WHERE THE HELL DID YOU COME FROM!?!"
Gorshak: "You face ME now demon!" he bellowed at the remaining enemy combatant.
The Slinger is grabbed by the massive goliath however the Kobold manages to wriggle free but as he turns to run he is seared by the radiance of the holy challenge uttered by the paladin and the kobold gets nary five feet before becoming engulfed by the wrath of a vengeful god.
Quinn: "This place.....is clean."

The rutted King's Road leads to the foot of a broad hill that holds the walled village of Winterhaven.
Nestled in the foothills of Cairngorm Peaks, the walls of the town are weathered stone topped with defensive palisades.
Small thatched homes stand in the surrounding area, each fronting a small piece of farmland or pasture...now all fallen curiously into neglect.
In the beyond to the west and south lie darkened woods, from whence you emerge and to the north, tall mountainous peaks.
As you walk to the main gates passed the residences that dot the region the typical reactions you illicit from the farmers are those of alarm and fear.
Groups of adventurers are commonplace here to be sure...but half the parties assembled heroes represent demographics not typical to the realm of Greyhawk as evidenced by the shock on the faces of those they pass.
Mardok, Travis and Fielin all know the looks worn on the faces of the guards at the main gates as they pass into the village proper and a visit from the local Sergeant at Arms or other Milita leader can't be far away but to their credit, silence and wide berth are all the party commands for now.
From the main gates, The Wrafton's Inn dominates the view of all who arrive in Winterhaven...to it's side is an open marketplace that is closing up for the night.
Across the market common from the Inn, is a stables.
The party begins to notice that descriptions of a thriving and flourishing town given to them by Arune may be somewhat "outdated".
Fear is in the air and it is not being caused by the party for once.
Travis: "Arune has told me this village is faithful to the tenants of Avandra....if this is true, I must pay homage to The Goddess."
Mardok: "Food!" and with that walks straight to the Inn.
Fielin: "I'd better make sure he doesn't, y'know...eat anyone." and follows after the barbarian with a smile amd a wink.
Gorshak: "I must locate a forge...I shall meet you at the Inn." and he takes the kobolds weapons to the smithy.
Quinn: "Very well, I will make our honorable intensions known to whatever constabulary is maintained here and will return here once I am done..." (looking to Fielin) "...I would say keep him out of trouble, but look who I am talking to."
The group then dispurses throught the market common before them as night falls.
Quinn and Travis come upon an elf maiden who is gathering flowers from her stand before she leaves.
They approach her and unlike the timid farmers, she does not shy away from their attentions.
A warm smile come over her face: "Are you.....lost?"
Quinn: "After a fashion, yes..." he continues "...I want to locate the Sergeant at Arms or the Captain of the Militia."
Delphina: "You would mean Rond, Rond Kelfem...he's the Captain of the Guard for the village...he would far nicer than the Sergeant at Arms....a foul brutal man-" (she looks over from Quinn to Travis who removes his helmet only to blush at her sudden attention) "-he never smiles."
"Many have no cause for joy in these days...you can find him at the Warrior's Guild, he can usually be found there."
Quinn:"Then I won't keep you."
Travis clears his throat nervously and adds; "How is it a vendor of flowers would know the comings and goings of the Captain of the Guard?" he tries not to smile as she meets his gaze.
Delphina: "He fancied me once...." (Travis stops smiling) "...but I didn't return his affections." (Travis begins to smile again ever so slightly)
Travis: "Oh....I...uhhhh....I'm sorry to hear that."
Delphina: "Are you?" Travis blushes and tries not to trip as he recuses himself from the situation.
"Delphina, Delphina Moongem....that IS what you wanted to ask me wasn't it?"
Travis: "So you are a elf-witch who reads minds and hearts as well?"
Delphina: "Only to those who wear them on their sleeves..." (Morgan tries not to beam anymore boyishly and simply smiles as he backs away) "...and YOU are?"
Travis: "Me?" (he continues) "OH, of COURSE me...I mean...who else would y-you....ah-heh...T-Travis-Travis Morgan."
Delphina: "Well, then....good fortune to you "T-Travis-Travis Morgan"...where ever you may roam."
He smiles and continues on his way to the spires of the temple in the distance.
Upon entering, Mardok kicks open the door and stomps in surveying the patrons as he does.
Mardok: "HOW MUCH FOR WINE AND A FEAST FIT FOR THE GODS!?!"
An old man off to the side of the barbarian turns and jests to him; "How much have you got?"
Mardok turns and walks over to the old man and towers over him putting his blood caked knuckles flat to the table with a creak of straining wood; "Are you the Barkeep?" he says with a sarcastic (and very unexpected) smile that grows from ear to ear.
Eilian: "W-why no I-I'm-"
Mardok: "THEN SHUT THE HELL UP!!!"
Seeing the display unfold a an older looking elven woman steps out assuring a large black labrador to remain where it sleeps.
Selvana: "May I help you?"
Mardok: "Food....Drink....Best....Lots of it...How much?"
Seemingly taken aback by the civility and intelligent sarcasm displayed by the monstrous Mardok she replies; "A bottle of our best wine is 5 gold coins...so is our best food...enough for both of you if-"
Mardok: "Forget the eladrin, he can get his own...wine and feast woman, and be quick about it!" and with a loud crash he slams his axe to the table beside him "I will be HERE!"
She smiles and goes to take Fielin's order but is cut off by Mardok; "What are you doing?...I said FORGET him, JUST get my FOOD!"
Fielin shrugs and smiles as if to say: "Hey, I KNOW....but what are you gonna do about it?"
She shakes her head and walks off to fetch drink.
Gorshak takes his bag of plundered kobold weapons in the hopes that it may subsidize the cost of a stay in town.
He enters into the smithy and sees a balding dwarf with a flaming red beard who turns from stoking his fire to the giant goliath and feigns a hint of suprise.
Thair: "WHOA, y'r a big fella...where'd you come from all of a sudden!?!"
Gorshak: "I though you were open but-"
Thair: "Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'm here ain't I?"...."Damn y'r a BIG one ain't 'cha?....Anymore where you come from?...ahhh, nevermind...what can I do for ya?"
"Thair Coalstrikers my name and smithings my game....whatever weapon you need, I got."
Gorshak: "Weapons I have....I was wondering if you needed any?" putting the satchel of steel on the table beside him.
With eyebrow raised the dwarf open the bag and looks at the sorry assortment of kobold gear with a smile.
Thair: "I see you bumped into Winterhaven's number one export."
Gorshak: "?"
Thair: "KOBOLDS ya big lumbering-....(they make ya plenty huge but they don't make 'em too smart where ya come from do they,boy?)"
Gorshak: "I guess they have been a problem in recent-"
Thair holds up a blood and grue cover short sword; "Whatever gave ya that idea?" as he wrinkles his nose at the unwholesome sight "Guess they don't have to make ya too bright when your that gods damned tall, eh?"
Thair: "Tell ya what.....(the javalins I don't want) but I'll take the rest off y'r hands for 11 coins of gold if you throw in the shields....but that's me final offer....and I'm being plenty generous....just cause I'm short don't mean I'm stupid, HEAR ME?"
Gorshak: "That would be fin-"
Thair: "Would there be anything else then?"
Gorshak: "As a matter of fact there is-"
Thair: "(OH, would ya fancy THAT, now?)"
Gorshak: "I am looking for a dwarf by the name of Douven Stauls...hes also a smith-"
Thair: "And because I am a DWARF and a SMITH....NATURALLY, I gotta know who this ass-clown is, right?"
Gorshak: "Well, n-no I-"
Thair: "Good thing you have a good friend cause you're none too bright and your far too tall and just plain short on manners."
Gorshak: "Hey wait, what does my height have to do with anythin-" he stops himself from losing his temper with the tiny smith and simply takes his bag of gold as he goes.
Thair: "HEY....if you want "real" coinage, you need to speak to Lord Padraig...he's been offering some kind of reward for any who can help him with this kobold problem...and since they don't exactly seem to be a problem for you...."
"You can find him at his home or in his "office" most of the time."...upon saying the word "office" he mimics the action of drinking.
"If you find anymore of these "lying around" you be sure to bring 'em to me...I can always use scrap metal."
Gorshak simply leaves the smithy without another word leaving Thair alone with the glow of his hearth.
Thair: "Nice fella....talks too much tho...I'll miss him."
Gorshak carries his pouch of gold to the Wrafton's Inn.
With the 34 silver coins from the kobolds earlier they could afford a few evenings of lodging and food with drink should it be required.
He arrives to find Mardok in the middle of his feast and Fielin at the tables far end trying not to be hit by food flying from the half orc eating machine.
Fielin looks to the paladin as he walks up nearly stunned by the barbarian's complete lack of table manners; "You know, he only stops to-"
Mardok beltches so loud that Inn proprietor's black labrador turns from the common room and slinks into the kitchen while whimpering.
Fielin: "Yeah, that would be about right." (as he wipes his face off)
Quinn's luminous aura preceeds him by a few seconds but he steps up to and knocks at the open doorway to the Warrior's Guild.
Two weapon toting brutes go to stand in the clerics path but are motioned to remain still by their captain.
Noticing his obvious station, the deva turns to the bearded human as Kelfem plays with his moustache, attempting to size up the cleric.
Quinn: "You must be Rond Kelfam."
Rond: "Aye...I am." (he puts his hand casually to his sword pommel)
Quinn: "Captain, I wanted to make you aware that my companions and I will be seeking to use your village as a base of operations while we search for a lost friend named Douven Stauls."
Rond: "Sorry about your friend but I've not heard of him... you'd best to tread lightly in these lands in recent days...these are dark times." (the Captain removes his hand from his weapon)
Quinn: "I am curious captain, have you heard of a dragon's burial ground around here?"
Rond: "I don't concern myself with myths and legends."
Quinn: "Is there work to had in these lands?"
Rond: "I am always on the look out for another good swordarm but if you are inquiring about genuine work, Lord Padraig is offering a reward for adventurer's foolish enough to risk entering the Shadowfell Keep."
Quinn looks to the captain with attention fully upon him and the luminous radiance he emits is beginning to make the grizzled captain nervous.
Quinn: "Really?"
Rond: "The people have been looking to his lordship to deal with the problem but he has failed miserably....trade is disappearing...caravans are raided...less and less supplies make it into town with each month."
"I fear it's only a matter of time before the kobolds will grow bold enough to openly attack the town itself."
Quinn: "Where can I find this Lord Padraig?"
Rond looks to his two men and the the three guards chuckle softly amongst themselves; "He is either is his home or more likely he is at the Wrafton's Inn...probably getting drunk and embarrassing himself again."
Rond: "He is afraid of losing his power over the people....if he doesn't do something soon, there may be no town left to protect."
Quinn simply nods, bows and turns to leave.
Rond: "I have been from this side of the Yeomanry all the way to the Ivory Coast.....I have seen a lot of things...but I have never seen your kind before."
Quinn stops for only the briefest of moments as if to silently acknowledge that he was asked the question....then he continues out without a word as his aura receeds with his presence.
Meeting up with Travis on his way back from Avandra's temple, both the deva and the human enter the Inn.
With the party united once more, they drink at their corner table while the ever vigilant Fielin watching both out the window and at the two entrances.
Quinn: "I was not able to turn up any leads as to the whereabouts of Douven or this "dragon's burial ground."
Gorshak: "Nor was my luck any better on that front..." he tosses a bag of gold on the table "...but it wasn't a complete loss."
Fielin's attention is now piqued by the soft clatter of metal coins and his focus rests solely upon the pouch of gold.
Travis: "Nor was I able to discover anything from Sister Linora in my travels at the temple...nothing we don't already know at any rate....ohhh, Douven...where are you?"
Selvana, the Inn keeper, who had just arrived to put down the last of Mardok's feast upon the table interjects; "Douven?....Douven Stauls?....I know him, a dwarven fellow with a golden blonde mane."
The attention of the table shifts to the elven proprietor before them...even Mardok stops in mid-mouthful.
Selvana: "Yes, he had a room he for a while...but he kept company with Eilian the Elder for the most part.....that would be him right over there....the one your friend nearly ate."
she walks away and the party members all look to Mardok simultaneously.
Mardok: "What?" he continues to stuff his face "He's STILL alive isn't he?"
Quinn and Gorshak both rise from the table and move to talk to the man who's table sits across from them bringing a pitcher of ale with them as they go to top up the old man's flagon.
Eilian: "You knew Douven?"...."I always wondered what happened to him!"...."He had questions about an old burial site just south and west of the village....even thought a dragon might be buried there, have you ever heard of such folly?"
"I told him it was probably just an old trash heap but he wouldn't hear of it, no sir!" (Gorshak fills the man's mug) "I even gave him directions to get there, I'm somewhat of a historian around these parts..."
(Valthrun the Prescient snickers at the mention of this.)
Quinn: "Could you give us those directions too?"
Eilian: "Certainly, haven't heard from him since...I do hope the poor man is alright."
Gorshak: "Thank you for your assistance, sir....you may have saved a man's life."

At dawn the groups set out once more only this time back south from whence they came along The King's Road armed with the directions of Eilian the Elder to guide them.
Optimism bubbles to the surface and hope even dare show its head with the news of Douven's travels.
The party picks up its pace eager to make time to their destination but in their haste, with thoughts of heartfelt reunions filling their heads, they marched forward blindly into unseen dangers.
Mardok was the first to discover this as he blazed a trail through the underbrush off to the side of the causeway.
In doing so he came face to face with an ambush party of Kobolds!
Mardok: "TO ARMS!!!"
But before he can react he is struck twice...once by the blade of a Dragonshield warrior and the other a spear from the adjacent Skirmisher.
As the blood began to flow freely and the battle is joined, warcries break from the underbrush as several small figures dart from hiding places.
With Mardok in dire straits, Morgan screams out a command to his half orc companion: "HIT 'EM HARD MARDOK!!" and as if on cue, the mighty warrior lands a blow with such force it bloodies his opponent in a single sweeping blow.
Unfortunately with all the commotion of the ambush, only Travis and the barbarian are in a postion to strike and in the ensuing mele, Mardok is wounded twice more by Kobold blades just a viciously as the last attack.
Angered and flushed with rage, he swings his great axe with a Great Cleaving strike that only adds to the barbarian's Furious Assault.
He is bathed in a black misty spray of kobold blood.
Travis instructs him to strike again while the anvil his hot and the half orc is rewarded with another solid hit as the rest of the party scampers into position, unfortunately a moment too late.
Blow after blow hits the barbarian mercilessly...pink mist sprays and snaping made as blade kisses bone till there is nothing left for Mardok to do but succumb to his injuries and he falls to the ground motionless.
Travis, without regard for his own safety, leaps into the fray with a battlecry to help the fallen warrior.
He is unable to reach Mardok through barrier of enemies that swarm around him but is able to buy the half orc precious time needed to rise where he had fallen and rejoin the battle from beyond the pale.
In doing so, The Warlord is just missed by a sling stone that surely would have caved his skull in had it connected.
Fielin moves into position by stepping into the Fey once more and emerges only to have an orb of mystical ice energy hurled at him by the kobold's shamanistic leader, their Wyrmpriest.
Gorshak the goliath charges in heedless of the dangers through the underbrush only stopping upon making contact with his foe but his rampant charge has spoiled his aim and his swing cuts nothing but the bushes around him.
Fortunately his Shielding Strike enables him to guard the bloodied barbarian through times most dire.
Gorshak yells a goliath curse at his foe and shakes his fist in a challenge to the Wyrmpriest.
Fielin and Quinn attempt to position themselves to more effectively strike later in the combat.
Travis still concerned with the flow of the combat reasesses the situation quickly and correctly; "MARDOK, THAT ONE!!!" but the wounded warrior missed his target but words of courage from The Warlord to his beleaguered companion give him the boost of strength needed to carry on the battle.
Mardok, now invigorated, Presses his attack forward and lands a blow so devastating it slays its recipient outright.
Mardok: "YESSSS!!"
A sling bearing Kobold tries to sneak passed Fielin but a flick of his blade and a flash of his smile convinces this foe of a better course of action.
Quinn points his finger at the Wyrmpriest and screams furiously; "CASCADE OF LIGHT!!!" but the the kobold shaman holds up his staff and the blast of radience is mostly neutralized by a barrier of cold.
Fielin continues to attack his target without mercy and finding an opportunity, sneaks his blade into his foe where it will do the most damage and the kobold wails out in agony from the eladrin's well timed strike.
One of the remaining Dragonshields turns to face the The Warlord and in a swift stabbing motion manages to draw blood from Travis with his attack.
The Wyrmpriest steps back from the centre of combat and unleashes Dragon Breath at the barbarian who is momemntarily frosted.
The paladin charges forth and he is struck by an enemy blade as he does...heedless of pain he pushes forward into his foe but his khopesh fails to find its mark.
Gorshak: "You shall fight ME now demon!" he yells.
Fielin and Travis, now seeing the battle has turned in their favor, delay their immenant attacks to maximize the damage.
Quinn casts a Divine Glow across the span of the battlefield and the radiance of Bahamut claims another victem in a burst of luminous fury.
Mardok, not waiting for anyone, Presses his attack forward once more and smites his foe so hard he is staggered by the force of the blow and bloodied by the end of the swing.
Darkshore feeling confident again moves in and catches his foe unawares....his blade skewers his opponent and the reptilian adversary drops lifelessly to the ground.
Travis, not to be outdone, charges forward into his foe and slams his shield directly into his foes face with a horrid wet smack that ends his enemies suffering at the hands of the savage Mardok.
The Wyrmpriest begins to chant and dance in a dance of blood that Incites Faith in his remaining lizard-like followers.
A skirmisher tries to make The Warlord pay dearly for his action but his swing is too slow and Morgan is far too fast....likewise is Gorshak missed by his opponent in the ensuing combat that follows.
Charging at the pagan kobold shaman, Gorshak raises his blade and lands a Valiant Strike once more and decapitates the dancing priest as he tries to appeal to his deity for protection.
Mardok tries to attack the remaining skirmisher, but the dance of blood had protected his foe and the barbarian's Howling Strike fails to land.
Both Fielin and Travis join Mardok and Gorshak in surrounding the last attacker as the paladin chastizes his enemy and vows vengence; "There is no escape for you NOW!"
Miraculously the final kobold is able to extracate himself from the heart of the mele only to succumb to radiant vengence of the paladin's god as he flees.

So ends Part II of The Keep on the Shadowfell....stay tuned for the next installment in 7 days.!!!

Peace & Light

Last edited:

Ftr

First Post
Quinn rested, leaning against a large rock, eyes closed. He was weary from both the battle and from his efforts at patching up his companions after the ambush. Almost everyone had a few injuries o attend, including himself. Although none were serious or had been flash mended by magic during the fight, some showed signs of the original wounds. Mardok's in particular were quite ugly and would no doubt produce scars that would be shown off for years to come.

With a small frown, Quinn reenacted the skirmish in his head. What he saw was both encouraging and worrisome at the same time. While they had ultimately won the battle, it was sloppy and very nearly cost them dearly. Most of the party was eager to work as a team and this was good. Later it may mean the difference between victory and certain death. It seemed most of the companions were getting comfortable in their roles, playing their part as it were in the dance of combat. All except Mardok.

Mardok is a barbarian warrior, more used to standing alone against all comers, even to the death. But he must learn to function within a team or soon either he will find himself meeting his god very up close and personal or he will cause the death of another. Charging into a group of enemies may sound great in a bard's tale by the fire, but it can get you killed swiftly in real life. Mardok's charge into a group of kobold's today was foolhardy. They quickly surrounded him and cut him to shreds. It was dumb luck and the intervention of Morgan that saved his life. Another few seconds without help and … Well, we shall see, thought Quinn. He will learn or he will die. I only hope he doesn't take anyone else with him.

I think we are at last close to where Douven was reported to have gone. I can only hope that he lies injured and unable to travel. If not, then I can think of no other reason for him to be absent that does not mean greater danger be it more kobolds or whatever foul beasts have taken up refuge in a dragon's burial grounds. With any luck, Douven will be walking with us back to Winterhaven on the morrow and we will be on our way to investigate this mysterious keep that Lord Padraig named the Shadowfell.
I can only pray that we be carried through tomorrow's dangers with divine strength.

Quinn lets himself drift off to sleep, every minute of rest was precious. Perhaps he would dream of blue haired girls dancing to otherworldly rhythms. Maybe he wouldn't dream at all...

Remove ads