Eryiedes Campaign Madness....The Keep on the Shadowfell

Zambatuo

First Post
"I will have to talk to the Mayor of Winterhaven about a re-assignment off patrol duty so that I may join you on your kobold killing endeavor. I feel I'll be much more useful in that capacity than simply walking in circles and killing a couple of hunting parties and stragglers." Shaster offered, agreeing with Gorshak's initiative to return the Dwarf back to town.

"By the way, Douven was it? I am Shaster. I'm a hired hand of Winterhaven and I've been serving the town by patrolling and killing kobolds and other monstrosities. Though I do take side-work if the money is right." the Shifter offered with a wink and a toothy grin.

Eryiedes

First Post
Although the hike back to Winterhaven is in better spirits with Douven's release, it is in "dark days".
The light seems almost straining to overcome the gloom....most animals are not as much silent as they are absent, even the livestock are no longer grazing.
The small fields around the farms of Winterhaven seem empty and untended....the smell of dampness has given way to that of rotting produce.
Stores meant for the castle and town in its siege storage still lie uncollected and exposed to the rain and elements.
Though things seemed difficult before, it seems in the two days of your absence that a distint change has come over the countryside of a most unnatural origin.
Perhaps the dispatch from Kalarel was indeed correct...three days till the portal could be opened.
There isn't much time.
Whether a lie or not...the farmers seem to have abandoned their plots...no doubt to flee to the safety of the towns walls.
(Mardok however seems cheerful enough in spite of this)
It is easy to tell which farmers have fled from the ones who might still be at home.
The ones who fled did so at such a quick pace that their homes still remain unlocked and untended...the ones who are still in their homes are the only ones which are locked up tight as a drum.
As they finally approach the walls of Winterhaven, the ones who fled seem to be almost awaiting the heros as they return.
A population of "refugees" now overflowing from the Tenements and spilling into the streets....most of them barely pausing to give furtive glances when they do at all.
Gorshak: "We weren't gone that long?"
Travis shrugs.
All that is save Delphina....even though night falls quickly, her smile lights up the market square.
Delphina: "I am so happy you are not dead."
Shaster: "What a coinsedence...I am ALSO happy I am not dead!"
Delphina: "Farms were attacked last night along the northfold....places were burned...people were taken...those who were not slain came here bringing horrible tales."
Travis: "Of?"
Delphina: "Goblins."
Mardok after looking at Delphina appreciatively, takes out his great axe (gripping it tightly) and asks her if she would like to discuss townships tragedy of the last two days over light dinner with wine.
He looms over her menacingly as he does.
Gorshak: "Damn it, Mardok...."
Without breaking stride with the moment, Delphina puts a wreath of aromatic wildflowers around his neck (as if to suggest it may help with the smell).
She then not to be rude, does the same to the rest of the Winterhaven Heros but is stopped by Douven who refuses the gift humbly muttering something about "allergies"?
Mardok attempts to wipe the dried gnome blood and vicera off of the tulips.
Travis says he is going to give thanks to Avandra for granting them success and victory (thus far) at the temple and he will join them at the Inn when he has finished.
Fielin and Douven both nod and say; "Drink!" simultaneously.
Fielin: "Your buying."
Douven: "Says the eladrin carrying the sack of gold."
Mardok: "WAIT...you owe me at least a pint for coming here to save your old wrinkled ass!"
Douven: "Would ya jus' LOOK at you cheap bastiches..."
Shaster: "I think I should try and find that Mayor....maybe I can negociate a better deal in light of recent events."
Gorshak says he will try and find the Captain of the guard and ask what has happened.
Quinn: "You will find him at the Warrior's Guild, if he is here at all."
He nods in acknowledgment and goes yonder with a large sack of "confiscated" kobold weaponry to leave with Thair Coalstriker; "Less time spent there....the better" he thought.
As Shaster walks around the town looking for Lord Padraig...he passes many posts that offer (in point of fact) 150 gold and not the stated 100 coins that Padraig had offered earlier for anyone brave enough to go into the abandoned Shadowfell Keep and stop this inhuman force.
Shaster: "He must be getting desperate to increase his reward by 25% a day..." he paused "...or it's FAR more dangerous than he is letting on."
Fielin, Mardok both watch as Douven counted the coins in each pouch, pot or small chest simply by the rattle it made....silver would mess up his count but with gold (like most dwarves) Douven was infalible.
Mardok examined Agrid's mangled amulet and wondered where he could find someone who might know how to mend the once magical item.
He then recalled, the older man he had nearly "eaten" the first night he arrived in Winterhaven...he would know.
Eilian the Elder: "Oh no, you don't want me....you want that guy overthere."
Noting it is only when Mardok needs a question answered, that Eilian the Elder is suddenly no longer a "know-it-all" on the subject at hand and defers to Valthrun the Prescient.
(This makes Selvana Wrafton giggle to no end)
Mardok inhales the sweet vapors from a kobold Gluepot.
Fielin & Douven both shudder at the display.
Mardok: "YOU! I am told you are Valthrun....I require your services."
An older man who had been warming his bones by the fire nearly drops his drink at the half orc's announcement.
(He shoots an angry glance at Eilian who pretends not to notice his discomfort.)
The old man pulls out his specs slowly and deliberately as if pretending not to notice the full size of the barbarian who stands before him.
His eyes go wide as Mardok drops the bloodcaked and severely hacked amulet on the table.
Valthrun: "Not mine?"
Mardok: "This gnome's trinket is defective....it was not axe-proof....are you able to repair it?"
Valthrun: "Ahhh......no....not by me, no."
Mardok: "Then who?"
Valthrun: "It WAS exquisite workmanship....who originally made it?"
Mardok: "Failed to inquire....I was too busy discovering it wasn't axe-proof."
Valthrun pulls out his pipe and while stuffing it in between adjusting his specs while tapping the mangled piece of jewelry with the bowls mouthpiece all the while muttering "gnome" from time to time as he does.
Ninaran: "He knows NOTHING."
Mardok rushes over to the speaker, taking out his axe as he does.
He stands before an elven ranger that sits near the rear of the Inn's common area.
Mardok: "I do NOT recall asking YOU!"
Ninaran: "Just saving you time."
Mardok: "You will NOT interrupt me when I am doing business!"
She holds up her hands as if to motion that she surrenders.
The barbarian turns back towards the not too stealthily departing, Valthrun the Stumblebum.
Mardok: "Answer me now old man."
Valthrun: "No idea."
Mardok: "Very well..." the old man breathes a sigh of relief "...in that case, can you tell me why I shouldn't break your jaw for wasting my time?"
Valthrun's bunghole puckers up again as he shrugs.
Mardok: "Leave before I do so."
At this point Selvana steps up.
Mardok: "I SAID SHUT UP WOMAN!!"
Selvana: "NOBODY tells me what I can and can not do in MY place..." as Valthrun stands to leave she pushes him back down to his seat "...I say who stay and who goes.....care to TRY me?"
Mardok: "Very well barkeep." and with that she puts down Douven's mutton shank and Fielin's ale flagon.
Mardok turns to look for the ranger that had apparently silenced the old man with a word, but she was nowhere to be seen.
Suprised by her stealth he looks around.
Mardok: "Where is that person that interrupted me earlier....who here knows her?"
Almost now out of the picture, Valthrun winces at mention of this and slowly raises his hand.
Valthrun: "Her name is Ninaran"
Mardok: "Where can I find her?"
Valthrun: "She could be anywhere.....she's dangerous."
Mardok: "And I am not?" as he picks dried gnome blood from his caked hides.
Valthrun: "All I know is that sometimes, she comes here....to the Inn...that's all....I hardly doubt anyone in town had even heard her name two seasons before last."
Mardok resolves that he is going to stand outside the front door of the Inn and simply wait for her to show again before the heros decide to depart again and will wait up all night if he has to.....which he does to no avail as the mysterious ranger never returns before thier departure.
Gorshak approaches the Warrior's Guild and recalls Quinn's words concerning Rond Kelfman, the Captain of the Guard.
He apparently has a thing for elves.....(but hey, who DOESN'T?)
As he enters the Guild doorway, the two sentries step back warily as the goliath fills the entrance.
Gorshak: "I am looking for Rond Kelfman."
Though taken aback by the goliath's presence, the various symbols of Kord show that he is a man of "faith" and that they seems more suprised by what he is rather than who he is.
(MUST be the friendly face)
Clivities: "He has been out towards the Northfold accessing the damage for the goblin's raid."
Gorshak: "Goblins?.....How, with NO warning?"
Clivities: "They came from the direction of the Shadowfell and seemingly arrived with the storm..." he continued "...they used it for cover, slew only the most stubborn of defenders and took the rest regardless or rank or station."
Gorshak: "Sneaky bastiches...just like the kobold's, their days are now numbered."
While the present guards all manage smiles at the paladin's bravado, it's easy to tell they are scared and tired.
With all the hungry and frightened farmers overflowing the tenements (and now roaming in the streets), it's all they can do to maintain order as conditions worsen.
No food.
Building hysteria.
Little hope.
Immenant attack on the horizon that was at one time idle speculation but now a forgone conclusion.
Winterhaven is now in real danger of tearing itself apart.
Convinced he can accomplish nothing further, the goliath departs the guild for the Inn.
On the walk back he observes that the guards are indeed correct in what they had told him....perhaps even exaggerated owing to the beaten look on the faces of those he passes.
Farmers and other refugees swamp him as he makes his way to the Inn.
Surrounded by an ocean of hands, all looking for donations, the goliath throws down a handful of kobold spears at their feet much to their astonishment and says; "Kord does not help those who will not defend themselves"....and walks away without another word towards Thair Coalstriker's.
Travis arrives at Wrafton's in time to hear a recent favorite rendition by the local bard.
As he begins to play his lyre, Mardok wrinkles his nose at the melancholic sounds and comments; "BOOOOO....Mardok wants to hear the happy fairy song."
Travis looks to Selvana as he walks passed her; "I gotta live with that."
The Bard begins to sing of a tale about a knight named Sir Keegan who at one time was Lord of the Shadowfell.
So fine was his skill with the blade that he was considered to be, at the time, the finest swordsman in the Vale....absolutely without peer.
Until one dark and stormy night (just like this one) Sir Keegan, without a word went nuts and began to slaughter anyone who managed to get in his way without exception....man, woman or child....all fell before his blade.
The knights of the keep tried to resist, but as was claimed, Lord Keegan's prowess with the sword was legendary and any who stood their ground against him, fell to his sword.
Until at the very height of the storm, a bolt of lightning struck the centre support and brought the keep down on the errant knight's head.
Most figured he must have died but for weeks afterwords, his sorrowful moans could be heard as he wept for his own wife and children...the first to be cut down in his mad rampage.
The bard sings of how it is this forgotten evil and not goblin's that really stirs darkess in the bowels of the Shadowfell.
He sings that if any peace is to be found...Sir Keegan must be put to rest.
Quinn takes notice that Valthrun shakes his head at the bards very "colorful" tale....however Mardok turns in his direction and this expression is quickly lost to concern as he approaches and passes.
Valthrun breathes a sigh of relief at the half orcs interest in drink and not himself.
He turns to come face to face with Quinn....simple enough to know he was there....his aura lit up the table about 5 seconds before he arrived.
While concerned with the titanic Mardok, he seems oddly at ease with the deva....he even points out that he must be so...and is the ONLY mortal so far that he has ever encountered that knew what he was.
Reassuring him with kind words and a refill in his mug, Quinn asks him what he knows about Shadowfell Keep.
Confident Mardok is distracted he claims; "Taeius is only partly correct about Sir Keegan and the night of his rampage."
Quinn: "Go on...."
Valthrun: "I don't believe he was "driven insane"....I believe he was cursed."
Quinn: "What proof have you of this?"
Valthrun: "Nothing directly, but there are some eye witness accounts of people claiming he was sobbing uncontrollably and appologizing even as he cut those around him down."
Quinn: "That is rather conspicuous and difficult to confirm."
Valthrun: "I believe my father...he was there that day....one of the lucky few who escaped."
Quinn: "What else would make you say that....surely there must be more?"
Valthrun: "Shadowfell is not the first structure to be built there....nor is it the first to fall either."
Douven steps forward into the conversation; "You are speaking of the Nareth Empire?"
Valthrun: "Yes....Shadowfell was built over the remains of what was a once a place of great power in the long ancient past."
Quinn: "Built over the remains of what?"
Valthrun: "No one knows for certain...but I believe the Keep was put there specifically to protect against something they had discovered there."
Douven: "The Nareth had immense power in their day...their control stretched from one side of Oerth to the other."
Valthrun: "Incredible dark power...and I think THAT is what the goblin's have disturbed in the keep and not the "Ghost of Sir Keegan" as our local entertainer would have you believe."
Quinn: "Something Kalarel seeks to release."
Valthrun: "Kala-who?"
Quinn: "Nothing old one...thank you for your assistance."
The devan cleric barely has time to share what he has learned from the Prescient old man when Lord Padraig "staggers" into the building and nearly face plants in front of the players upon seeing them.
Travis pours himself a mug of ale which the drunken Lord then takes and consumes as he arrives.
Padraig: "HEY....you found your friend!"...."Does that mean you will be able to help me wit-"
Gorshak: "Yes, it shouldn't be much of a problem...nothing is ever so desperate when you have a big sack of gold right."
Padriag: "And thatsch exactly whut I will give ya....ALL O'YA...I will EVEN pay an EXTRA 50 COINS of gold from my own purse on top of the existing 100 if you will go into and investigate the keep." he continues "The attack along the Northfold was an act of WAR...but none of the local lords will rally to my cause.
Travis: "They think you will lose."
The drunken lord points to Morgan as if to say; "EXACTLY"
Padraig: "So I MUST do something!" and with that he pounds his fist into the table nearly knocking over all the mugs present and then promptly passes out cold on the spot.
Travis takes his mug from the unconcious Padraig and refills his drink; "I guess we should all declare our intensions...we originally set out to find Douven, not try and save a town...even if the "lush" is paying handsomely enough for our services."
Mardok: "He's paying gold and we can keep what we find....I am in...beside I want to find this Ninaran person."
Quinn: "Wait, Mardok has a friend?"
Travis: "Let's not get ahead of ourselves."
Fielin: "Some ranger...definitely had our half orc all hot and bothered....she's been missing for a while now."
Quinn: "He DOES have a new friend!"
Travis: "Of course he needs a new friend....he's still wearing the old one!"
Shaster: "I was not a part of the rescue party, but if there are any who will venture towards the keep...I would sure like a share of that gold Padraig is talking about."
Quinn: "Our true purpose has yet to reveal itself but I sence its roots will be found in the bowels of the Shadowfell....I choose to continue the journey."
Fielin: "That's sweet.....count me OUT of this little suicide mission...idea was to find Douven and we have done just that...so I am taking MY share of the gold and I am leaving."
Travis: "Touching as always...but for once he was honest...I will stay the course."
Gorshak: "I too sence the heart of this evil disturbance lies somewhere under the Shadowfell....and I will not rest 'til such time as we have sought it out and destroyed it!"
Douven: "Boyo's....know that the Nareth were as nasty as a people could get...there's no telling what lies beneath that Keep.....be ready for anything....and know that for those of you who return Fallcrest, once all is done...I will have something special for each of ya as a sign o' me gratitude."
The dwarf raises his mug; "I will NEVER f'rget whut ya done f'r me."
The heros toast to the successful rescue of their mentor...(barely audible over Lord Padraig's excessive drunken snoring)

Sleep eluded the heros that evening.
With Douven safe it should have been that they were relaxed, but instead the same strange malaize that has gripped the countryside in it clutches has similarly squeezed the enthusiasm from their hearts.
As the heros ate breakfasts, sipped of teas and readied equipment for the coming journey...a crowd began to gather in anticipation of their leaving.
As they walked through the Winterhaven gates towards the Northfold, the refugee farmers and townfolk alike bid the heros an excited and heartfelt farewell.
Travis: "The Heros of Winterhaven?"
Quinn: "Let them have it...sometimes hope is all we are afforded in life...don't deprive them of it."
Shaster: "Frankly, I don't see the problem."
Douven: "It sounds like the sort of name that people are going to expect you to live up to sooner or later..." he looks at the desperate faces that line the Inn "...in your case, perhaps sooner!"
Travis: "Any last minute advice?"
Douven: "Since when have ANY of you ever listened to me?" he ponders a moment "Just try not to get killed."
Gorshak turns as he hoists his pack; "And just HOW are we going to do that?"
Douven: "Keep your head down?"
Gorshak: "You're funny..." he replies sarcastically "...stay to the back paths..." he puts his enormous hand to Douven's shoulder "...be safe."
Fielin: "You too."
Mardok: "Keep your head down?"..."Are you kidding me?"
Douven: "That was just for them...you don't need that kind of advice."
Mardok: "Why is that?"
Douven: "They're just men...you're a tiger."
Mardok: "Could the fool make any less sence?"..."Next time you get lost and need help, don't call me." and he storms out in disgust, still unsatisfied with being unable to locate Ninaran.
Travis: "He didn't mean that...."
Fielin, Travis, Gorshak and Douven all exchange a look in silence and then all say at more or less the same time; "Yes, he did."
They reach the crossroads at the base of the hill upon which the town of Winterhaven is built.
Fielin and Douven take their leave of the group and begin the three day journey back to Fallcrest.
The morning is gloomy, foggy and damp....a light drizzle falls...not enough to soak you immediately but in a few hours (with the help of a great deal of sweat)...everything you own in the world will be completely soaked before the day is half over.
The cheers of the townsfolk now lost on the wind as it howls through the barren hills and fields that surround you.
True to Padraig's words, they were not but a half days travel from the safety of the towns walls when evidence of the recent raids became impossible to refute.
The goblins made no attempts to hide their tracks or those of their captives and just as predicted, they lead to one place.
It was shortly before nightfall when the ruins of the keep came into view.
The road leading up to the remains of this ancient fortress is arduous to say the least.
Ahead, the narrow track widens into a clearing.
Great piles of shattered stone blocks and scorched timbers dominate the clearing, sprawling outwards towards the edge of the woods.
No plants grow in the ruins or within the clearing.
The path is bare dirt and although the forest is beginning to reclaim the path leading here, it has not strayed into the ruins of the Shadowfell.
Yet clearly someone has tampered with the ruins.
In the centre of the debris, stone blocks and timbers have been gathered into a pile.
Someone has cleared a path through the rubble and pulled aside the wreckage to reveal a stone staircase that decends in to the cold, forbidding darkness below.
Travis leans towards Mardok; What do you think?"
The half orc barbarian sniffs deeply from the draft that blows up the stairwell.
Mardok: "Stale, stagnant dungeon air mixed with the strong smell of unwashed bodies..." he pulls out his axe "...someone has been very busy."
Travis pulls out his crossbow and takes up a flanking position on the half orc.
Shaster walks beside the barbarian as Gorshak takes up his six o'clock position with the Mighty Quinn taking up a rear guard position with morning star in hand.
Holding up a torch, Shaster stepped forward confidently into the darkness.
The stairway leading down consists of finely crafted stone.
Gorshak: "Perhaps the work of dwarves."
A breeze chills you to the bones as you take each step down, the flicker of torchlight spills from a room at the bottom of the stairs.
The 30' square room was set with 4 pillars of unusual craftsmanship and light that continued to light the three possible ways out of this first chambre.
With a practiced reliablility of experience and training, the heros fan into the booby trapped guard room unaware of the dangers within.
As he awaited his companions advance, Mardok strained to hear what he could from the corridor to the east but chattering squeaks pierced the otherwise silent ruins making it difficult to pinpoint the sources origin.
He motions his companions forward.
Gorshak had crossed the majority of the room before he was noticed by the Goblin Warrior sentry.
Still commenting on how he hated rats, he didn't notice the goblin take a bead and release his javalin...with the weapon streaking past his face as the first indication of trouble as the goblin shrieked out an alarm.
From behind the Warrior came two more Sharpshooting Archers and from the other two directions, a single Goblin Warrior to block the path of anyone foolish enough to storm the keep directly.
Quinn takes up a flanking position on Gorshak upon word of ambush.
Shaster spun around to see his target but lacked postion for a prime shot but as he moved passed a pillar to set up, he triggered and very nearly fell victem to a covered pit trap filled with a swarm of ravenous dungeon rats.
The actions of the floor rotation was noticed by all though perhaps not simultaneously.
Shaster: "Merde!"
Mardok: "It was just a fart..."
Travis puts away his crossbow in favor of his leafblade and shield against what will soon be a charging goblin Warrior.
Gorshak carefully navigates the trap and prepares to smite his foe when two Sharpshooters take up flanking postions on the front most Warrior.
Quinn is the first to attack the sentry and a bolt of light streaks out as the deva calls upon the radiant power of his Lance of Faith but he misses the shifty goblin attacker.
Upon seeing he has missed, the cleric jumps the edge on the pit closest to him rather than walk its edge.
Mardok seeing Gorshak hesitate, siezes upon the moment and charges, jumping the pits edge to get at the goblin.
Mardok: "Goblin?....You are going to die now!"
He charges the smaller skirmisher Howling like a maniac as he goes.
The strike draws Romyr the Reluctants blood, but has not felled the foe.
Now that he is in optimal position to strike, Shaster unleashes a Biting Swarm at Romyr, as a javalin arcs passed him...but the bees arc around Romyr's hideous visage.
Travis' voice rings out through the goblin war cries; "Attack THAT one!!!"
Mardok looks upon the cowering Lompy the Ludicrous and swings his great axe harder than ever he has swung it before and hits his foe critically.
Happiness is the smell of the hot blood of your enemies spilling at his feet, finishing off the foe before him he wastes no time finding his next victem; "I am DEATH...look upon me and despair!"
Travis nods with satisfaction at the sight.
Mardok is struck by an arrow and a second shaft of the volly whizzes passed the elated Morgan.
Before Gorshak can complain about the barbarian taking his kill, he is struck soundly by a javalin but thanks to Quinn's devotion, he calls upon the power of Bahamut to protect the goliath with the same fortitude as his great platinum scales and the severity of the blow is reduced upon the paladin.
Before he can react, the deva is missed by a javalin heaved from Fenis the Ferocious, a goblin Warrior.
Quinn: "HA, I've a god on my side HEATHEN!"
Goshak's strike almost slays Romyr outright with the wounds he has suffered so far and he utters a Divine Challenge to the Warrior before him knowing he will suffer Kord's disdain for refusal and cowardice.
Quinn looks to Fenis and a beam of light from above sears the goblin Warrior and temporarily invigorates the cleric.
Seeing another opportunity present itself, Mardok charges to foe nearest Quinn and Jumps the pits edge a second time as he does, Howling and brandishing his weapon as he does and for this bravery he is rewarded with a solid strike that bloodies Fenis in a single hit.
The Razorclaw shifter takes aim at one of the Sharpshooters down the hall and releases his Elemental Spirits to infuse the spirit of primal fire into his arrow's flight.
Blix the Bungling is struck by the flaming projectile in the chest and begins to scream out as he is burned by mystical flame.
Travis looks to the other side of the combat and not wishing to jump the pit to reach his target, he calls out to the goliath; "GORSHAK....save away big guy!"
He swings upon hearing the Commander's instruction but reacts to slow and misses the shifty little foe who chooses to remain right where he is to cause the most damage to the heros.
Gorshak: "Today is NOT a good day."
No sooner had he spoke the words, is he struck by the goblin's sword and Travis is in turn hit by an arrow from one of the dark sharpshooters.
Before he can see the source of his pain, a second shaft strikes Shaster, who growls out in pain; "DAMN IT,....Ok, you're going down....whichever one of you it was that shot me!"
In the ensuing mele, the Warrior before Mardok misses him by the most narrow of margins.
Fenis: "You will not fell ME Kinslayer!"
As the goliath's foe shifts his position on the battlefield, he begins to cook and smolder as was promised by the paladin's vow of rightous combat.
He swings valiantly as his foe tries to retreat before the superior attacker still strikes the goblin Warrior with full force and bloodies his foe in the process.
Looking towards Fenis, Quinn calls forth the power of his god but in vain as Fenis apparently hasn't enough faith in him to anger an immortal such as Bahamut.
Fenis: "Is that ALL you've got, blue man?"
With that Mardok spins and throws his hand axe directly into the throat of Fenis who gurgles in a spurting spray of black foulness and falls to the floor at the deva's feet.
Feeling invigorated my his enemies sufferings, the barbarian initiates a swift charge and summoning the power and spirit of a pouncing tiger (just as douven had advised) the half orc easily clears the 10' pit in a single stride and lands his blow, Howling as he does all the way.
Pushing even further in truely epic fashion the half orc pushes to the limits of his endurance and makes a final bullrush across the pit yet again (for a fourth time) to come to a stop beside the two charging Sharpshooters and initiating a great cleave upon his arrival hits both foes in one swing that adds Furiously to his assault.
Both the attacking goblins fall dead in their tracks to his strike as though his axe blade were guided by the great cyclopean god himself.
Gorshak is somewhat struck in awe by the barbarians bravery and heroism...truely inspiring in every sence of the word to behold.
Mardok: "Do I have to kill them all by myself?"....."Come on and let's finish these pukes!!"
Shaster takes aim with his bow but as if mocked by the half orcs heroic acts, his bow string snaps as he tries to notch his next shot.
Shaster: "CRAP!"
Travis: "Mardok?.....Close the door, its getting drafty!!!"
Upon the Commander's advice, he swings both high and low on his enemy nearly splitting him in two.
Mardok: "AND STAY DEAD!!!"
Travis: "Amen, brother!"

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited:

Ftr

First Post
In my many incarnations, have witnessed countless battles, seen the dead piled like cord wood, witnessed the meanest slave perform heroic acts, and the bravest of knights cower in fear. Nothing should surprise me anymore, but what I witnessed this day I will remember forever. Let me remember...

After Feilin collected his bit of brass and left, we remaining heroes (for we could be no less), made for the keep ominously named "The Shadowfell". Upon arriving, we quickly found evidence of recent activity and an obvious entrance to the under levels of the keep. Without fear or hesitation, we entered the den of mystery.

The stairway down led into a simple entry hall of old, but solid design. With the warriors, Mardok and Gorshak leading the way, we fanned out across the room hugging the walls for safety and some semblance of stealth. This effort was somewhat lessened by the presence of guards. A small troop of goblins had taken positions in the corridors leading off from the hall.

I felt no worry as we confronted the gnarled little sentinels. We had easily triumphed over much greater numbers and much greater threats before today. This minor action would have been a mere footnote in our adventure but for the amazing chain of events that led to our victory!

At the outset , everything went according to plan. We formed two fronts to contain the enemy while Shasti and I peppered the enemy from afar. Then it happened...

Mardok wa facing a goblin warrior of small size and even smaller courage. When faced with the prospect of facing our fearsome company, the goblin shrieked in fear and stumbled forward onto Mardoks axe, killing himself instantly. Mardok was so surprised, he stumbled backwards and in a series of lurching gyrations, crossed over a rat infested pit uncovered in the middle of the room. All his limbs swinging terrifically to maintain his footing, Mardok's axe struck Gorshak's sword which impaled the nearly dead goblin he had been boldly battling.

Recoving his ballance, Mardok foundhimself on the edge of the pit while the enraged Goliath Gorshak roared his disapproval of Mardok's antics. Mardok took a step back and was forced to leap across the pit only to find himself face to face with the two remaining goblin guards. A wild swing ricocheted off the wall and struck off stone chips that impaled the two goblins deep in their tiny heads. Mardok stood there, chest heaving from the exertion, wild eyed and shaking. He was obviously coming to grips with another of his near death experiences.

I have seen it many times in many battles. It is common with young warriors and new heroes. I am confident that someday Mardok will be able to do on purpose what was so obviously a fluke today. Still, I'm sure it will grow into an epic tale by the time we return to Fallcrest.

Now I must clear my head, for we continue deeper into the bowels of this accursed place. I have a feeling that we will need our wits about us in the hours ahead. Besides, someone has to keep Mardok out of trouble....

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Mardok surveys the general carnage in the area. The noise in the rat pit intensifies as the starving rodents smell the blood. Hearing a minor noise from on of the goblins that is clinging feebly to life, even as it draws its last breath, Mardok has an idea.

He picks up the barely breathing goblin, not caring as its intestines start to spool out from its torn abdomen. he quickly loots the still living guard, taking anything that might be of value off of it. The goblin, delirious with pain whimpers softly, not understanding what is about to happen to it, but is clinging stubbornly to life. Stepping carefully to avoid tripping over some intestine, Mardok drops the goblin into the rat pit. The goblin is too weak to scream as the rats consume it. The look in its eyes of pure horror and pain lasts only as long as it takes the rats to tear out the goblins eyes.

Gorshak gives Mardok a strange look, to which Mardok responds "What? I am pretty sure that is what Bahamut would have done."

END COMMUNICATION

Eryiedes

First Post
As the last of the goblin's shrieking drifted out, like stale echos lost amongst the ruined corridors of the keeps dungeon, the party was suprised that no other sentries or guards responded to the initial attack.
Securing the loot, pitiful though it was it has become very quickly apparent that these goblins carry coins most likely taken from the Northfold raid...some of them with dried blood still clinging to them.
Travis: "Blood Money."
Quinn: "We have indeed found the raiders lair."
Mardok sniffing the air then turns to the hallway he had originally intended to explore before being rudely interupted by the sentries.
He cautiously approached a passage off the main hall that was blocked by a heavy hanging tapestry the condition of which would suggest it was recently hung.
Though damp and musty it moved freely and as the heros took up position behind the barbarian as he mentioned casually yet forcefully; "If there is anyone still left in there....I'm going to kill you now?" and upon finishing moved aside the tapestry with his great axe.
Shaster seemingly impatient, and without a clear line of fire, asked in a hushed tone; "What is it....what do you see?"
Acting as if he had been pulled in abruptly, he disappears as the words have barely left his lips, much to the parties astonishment as weapons instantly are set to the ready.
Pushing aside the mangy curtain with his axe again as he giggles in an orc fashion (that to non-goblinkin ears might seem overtly unsettling) and blurts out; "IT'S A JUST STORE ROOM!"..."(You should SEE your faces right now!)"
He turns back into the storage room as his laugh continues to echo through the empty halls of the Shadowfell.
Quinn simply shakes his head; "I will never understand orc humor."
Travis: "At least he doesn't pantomime with severed body parts anymore."
Gorshak: "I ALMOST forgot about that."
Shaster, unfamiliar with the barbarian's quirkier behavior, can only nervously shake his head; "NOT funny....not funny at ALL" and he turns to look at a single worn oak door that lay not twenty feet beyond the passage to the store room.
Mardok continued through the storage room and discovered it led to a living area for the goblin guards that even now were fattening up the ravenous swarm of rats in the pit trap of the main entrance.
Following the passage around he approached the party from the rear as they discussed a mixture of orc etiquette and concern that he no longer appeared to be in the storage room.
As Travis turned he saw Mardok creep around the corner and motioning silence stood directly behind the remaining members and yelled; "BOO!!!"
Shaster: "Are you TRYING to get us caught!"
The towering barbarians giggles then faded to a cold grim stare.
Shaster: "I'll just stand over here now...." and he steps back so that Quinn separates hin from the half orc.
Quinn: "If were done having fun now?" as he put his hand to the rope that made up a jury rigged handle to the swollen wooden door.
On the otherside, stairs decended even deeper into the dungeon.
As the neared the bottom they began to notice the floors are covered with loose dirt that was casually swept aside and footsteps that indicate extensive excavations are taking place nearby.
As the continued up the stoneworked hall, they noticed a passage that branched off to the right of the corridor unlike the one that led to it.
Torches didn't mark the path as they had in the main halls.
From the darkness below came only the sound of dripping water and the squeaking of rats.
Mardok sniffed at the passage...absolute pitch was impenetrable even to his orc eyes...and as he strained to see what he could, Travis handed him a newly lit torch from his backpack.
Quinn still curious about the corridor they had just left looked as far as he could to see what caused the dancing torchlight in a far chambre to flicker as vigorously as it did.
Gorshak noticed the cleric's distraction and kept pace not far behind him.
Travis nudged both Shaster and Mardok who handed the Warlord back the torch and moved forward to see what had caught the deva's attention.
As the group proceeded, out of marching order, to the chambre of the dancing light...Quinn wasn't prepared for what he saw.
Although it was the incomprehensible snarling of a goblin arguement, it was the room's resemblance to an complete disaster and not a proper excavation that drew Quinn's attention from the creatures within that even now mobilized against this new "blue" intruder.
In the room, remnants of the original floor stand like short towers protruding from a depression. Narrow wooden planks connect the patches of the original floor, and a few goblins toil in this room attacking the floors and walls with shovels and picks as they seem to argue amongst themselves.
Dinn the Deceptive was the first to see Quinn with the Longtoothed Guardian Drake that stood beside him.
With a roar, the burly reptilian quadruped reared and charged towards the ramp to reach the deva as the Deceptive goblin raised the alarm and turned to climb the ladder behind him to get a better shot at approaching attackers with his short bow.
Unfortunately, Quinn's awareness of his surroundings is directly proportional to the amount of energy he spends admiring Mardok and he allows Dinn and the Longtooth to react unopposed.
Mardok looks into the room and spots three goblin Sharpshooters taking up positions amongst the dig site.
He just as quickly, realizing there is no ready target for him to charge, pulls out of the room leaving Quinn alone again; "Looks like we have some archers, let's get ready to kill them."
Shaster: "I wish you wouldn't call them archers....they are just idiots with bows."
Mardok: "You mean that ISN'T what archer means?"
Though alone, Quinn turns his seraphic gaze upon the gathering goblins and smiles coldly as if promising a dreadful smiting to come.
Shaster nimbly moves into the room and attempts to harrow his enemies with the power of his Elemental Elders and muttering to the spirit of cold he infuses his arrow with their majesty.
Unfortunately, the loose footing of the excavated room makes for poor aim, and his arrow flies off course.
The pair of Guard Drakes run up the ramp to the heros but the Longtoothed drake reaches the cleric first and with its frenzy heightened by the presance of its mate, the lizard chomps onto the deva's leg and takes a chunk of flesh with it.
Quinn doesn't delay another second to bring forth a Moment of Glory and a blast of light emmanates from him that pushes the Longtooth with enough force to send it flying off the platform to fall to the dig floor below with a tremendous crash but seems unable to effect its mate.
In the aftermath, a glowing protective aura now follows his allies and shields them from harm.
Summoning forth the strength to continue action, he then conjures forth a Shield of Pure Faith and a golden nimbus of light surrounds and protects the friends of the deva from injury.
Gorshak has no time to frivol with righteous prayers and simply lashes out in old fashioned goliath fury and lands a heavy blow upon the Bloodclawed drake remaining on the platform.
He then promises swift vengence in the challenge he utters to his reptilian foe.
Morgan moves into the room and readying shield and sword he shouts a quick command to the paladin as the Bloodclaw tries to get passed the goliath's guard but his successful charge left him off balance and the khopesh slices only stale dungeon air.
Travis: "It breaking through!"
Seeing a path clear through the combat, Mardok charges forth and leaps from the platform clearing 15 feet and the approaching archer, much to his suprise who saw only a wounded deva a moment before.
(He recieved a 8.9 from the East German judge!)
Without hesitation, the barbarian swings around and lands upon the Sharpshooter a Howling blow with his axe that bloodies his opponent.
The half orc was suprised that he didn't suffer the injuries he was expecting from such a leap but was simply satisfied that the cleric was "finally earning his keep".
The reply was swift as the archer answered back with a half hearted swing of his blade that caught nothing but air.
Almost in the same instant, a volley of arrows streaked in towards the party, but bounced harmlessly from the flagstone walls of the chambre.
Shaster made humbled arcane utterances to the Ancestral Insect Spirits and let fly a shaft of buzzing doom at the Deceptive Dinn that transforms from a shaft to a swarm of phantasmal vengence that mercilessly stings the goblin archer.
The drakes mate now recovered, charged up onto the entry platform again and joined in attacking the heros but their defensive formation seemed impenetrable to the drake's assaults.
The cleric holds forth his holy symbol and a beam of radiant vengence streaked through the stone cieling of the keep from the celestial heavens and seared Lompus the Ludicrous as he attempted to face down Mardok the Kinslayer.
Quinn: "There is NO escape from the wrath of my Sacred flame!!!"
He also asks that Bahamut continue to watch over and protect his friends.
Siezing the initiative, Gorshak attacks the Bloodclawed drake without mercy or reprieve, and his accuracy is rewarded with a divine gift of vigor and strikes so hard that he bloodies his enemy in turn.
He reassures the foul beast of his intention to end its days of terror knowing Kord will punish anyone or thing foolish enough to ignore the ancient tenents of combat.
Travis, seeing the drake's mate approach and knowing that its frenzy will increase with proximity, braces his shield and charges headlong at the Longtooth before it can flank the goliath paladin and with a powerful blow, staggers the charging drake and forces it backwards towards the platforms edge.
Quinn: "THAT'S the spirit!"
Travis manages a smile with this praise.
Mardok loomed menacingly over the smaller goblin foe; "Hold still so I can murder you!" but his shifty opponent withdrew from the strike and unleashed an arrow at his antagonist as a responce, but due to his wounds he misses the titanic half orc even at point blank range, much to his (very short lived) shame.
As could be expected, Dinn the "Buzzed" and Verithax fired back arrows at the heros but whether distracted by ghostly swarms or distance, the savage goblinkin are unable to strike the group.
Quinn: "Don't worry men...I have a plan."
Barely finished shooing away the spectral swarm that harassed him last time, Dinn finds their number replenished from zero as the razorclaw shifter renews his attack upon the unfortunate Sharpshooter.
As the beast before him slowed to its wounds, the paladin assured it thats its suffering will not endure much longer and raising his blade high, he brought it down upon the beasts skull and brought forth a shower of meat and spray that bathed the holy warrior.
Gorshak: "Feel the Wrath of Kord!"
Quinn seeing he is in ideal postion do unleash the fury of Bahamut begins to emit a Divine glow which seems to be solely directed at the remaining Bloodclaw instead of including its allies as he had intended.
Morgan attempts to utilize Wolfpack Tactics with his goliath cohort and from flanking position to flanking position, the manuver suceeds but the strike fails to land.
Mardok, now finished ascending a floor tower takes a bead on Dinn (who still swats at mystical insect attackers) on the adjacent platform.
Remembering Douven's words, he charges and leaps the span of the platfom in a mighty 15 foot leap that nearly stuns the goblin he lands in front of.
(He recieves a 8.5 from the Japanese judge!)
Another volley of arrows is released but the protection of Quinn's god still follows the group like a shadow.
Taking aim with the Elemental Spirits of cold to do his bidding, Shaster lets an arrow fly towards Verithax the Venerable but the arrow deviates in flight.
Summoning the energies of the primal forces he invokes the inevitablity of his bloodline and redirects the shot towards a secondary target....its strikes and slays its recipient instantly.
Quinn: "I had warned them there was going to be a "smite-down" coming..."
The remaining drake fought on valiantly even though outmanuvered and outnumbered but to no avail, it was incapable of injuring the group.
Seeing the Venerable goblin firing in the distance, Quinn focused the sum of his seraphic rage upon him and seared his foe from afar with a Lance of Faith.
He then appealed to his god to continue his watchful gaze over the heros and to keep them safe from harm.
Gorshak, having just Valiantly slain the remaining drake turned his attention to the archer in the rear and in a moment of "brilliance", the monolithic goliath tries to cross to an adjoining platform by crossing on a plank made by and for goblins.
The result?
His first step went straight through the wood and sent the goliath hurtling to the ground almost in the exact same spot that Quinn and sent the drake flying into.
Gorshak muttered under his breath; "Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid...."
Owing to the nature of their clerics relationship to his god, the goliath suffers no injury from the sudden tumble...unless you include his pride.
Travis upon having another arrow whiz past his face pulls out his crossbow and fires a bolt at the distant Verithax but discovers why the goblins have had so much bad luck with archery.
Having landed right in front of Dinn the Completely Stung, Mardok presses his attack and not only decapitates the archer but sends his body flying from the platform with ease.
Driven by the smell of his enemies blood, the half orc's frenzy begins to build and no longer being able to contain himself he charges at the final archer only to discover what Gorshak had just realized.
Big people and goblin carpentry do not mix and a mouthful of dirt is the end result of his Swift Charge.
Once more, the protection of Bahamut is guarenteed by the devan cleric and he picks himself up from the terrible fall with nary a scratch.
Mardok: "(Hmm, not bad)"
The Ludicrous archer takes aim upon Shaster but this results in little more than alerting the Seeker to his quarry.
Verithax noticing his allies have all but fallen, pulls back and fires an arrow into the Mardok as he looks to climb the platform he stands on now realizing he has no way out of this room.
Kissing his arrow as he notches the shot...a wisp of icy vapor trails the shaft is it flies towards the floorborn Sharpshooter.
Before the goblin can finish his scream, the misty trail intercepts his fleeing form and the goblin is instantly frozen solid in an smokey, dry ice like explosion of vapor, ice shards and snow.
Quinn: "Say...that's pretty."
Shaster: "Goblin-sicle?"
Travis: "My favorite flavor....dumb and ugly."
While the creatures of the Shadowfell seem to be ill prepared against a force such as Gorshak or Mardok, the idea of climbing a goblin archeological site was not included in Douven's training.
Attempt after attempt sees the goliath and half orc try their level best to ascend to the top of the Venerable goblins platform but to no avail, they discover there had BETTER be more than one way to "skin a goblin".
Travis and Shaster attempt to harass the remaining humanoid with a volley's but the distance proves to great and their opponent is too fast.
Realizing he will die in moments if he doesn't do something, he waits for the two attackers to scale his platform...after having them discover (after a final fall each) that Bahamut has grown tried of this display and he has other followers who require his protection.
Mardok: "Okay, why does that hurt now?"..."I fell worse before and it didn't hurt quite so much."..."YOU HEAR ME UP THERE...YOU ARE GONNA DIE!!!"
Panic overwhelms the goblin and as the two warriors reach his sniper's roost, all the wounded antagonist can do after being cornered is to throw down his bow and surrender.
Were it not for the fact that the goliath beat Mardok to Verithax, it's unlikely he would have survived to be interrogated at all.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Last edited:

Eryiedes

First Post
As the group dressed their wounds, Quinn took a moment to size up their captive.
The goblin knelt with Gorshak to one side and Travis to the other with his head held down.
Shaster collected to various loot that was to be found on their attackers and collected by them in the room....of which there wasn't much but one item caught the deva's attention in particular.
An ancient, tarnushed amulet in the form of a platinum dragon....a holy symbol of Bahamut and boon to those who would do battle in his name.
Holding it up to the others he beamed with pride upon doning it.
Gorshak: "It's too "small" for me."
Travis: "It's you for sure, Blue."
Mardok looked to the remains of the amulet he took from Agrid the Minced; "Wanna trade?"
Shaster returned with the goblin's purses; "Somebody has been paying these foul creatures well."
Verithax: "HEY, that's-" as soon as he squeaked up, the entire party looks at him and are in an obvious foul mood at the shrill timbre of his voice.
Next, the goblin is seen completely bound and gagged, floating on a disc of magical energy as a lit lantern sits uncomfortablely in his lap.
Gorshak: "That's handy...what do you call it?"
Quinn: "A simple conjuration a friend had taught me....learned it in turn from a man named Tenser."
Travis examined the digsite in earnest; "No way out of here."
Quinn turned to Verithax the Venerable, with confidence boosted, and asked him what else awaited them in the depths of the keep.
After yanking the goblin's gag, it snickered in an unholy fashion and chortled at the deva's apparent confusion at his reaction to the query.
Verithax: "Death is the ONLY thing that awaits you here!"
Travis taps the goblin in the head with the flat of his sword as a gentle reminder to "be polite"
Quinn only smiles to the goblin's taunting which brings confusion to the Sharpshooter's face; "Look....this can go two ways."...."The first is you answer my questions, we knock you out and leave you here."...."The other is I give you to the "Kinslayer" and the two of you can work out your differences the old fashioned way....so choose."
He looks to Mardok for a moment, having just finished binding his injuries, and meets his gaze.
Verithax: "Balgron!"..."The keep, the clans, the digging....it's ALL Balgron's....he's our chieftan, strongest of the strong...if anything lives or dies in the Shadowfell it's by his will alone."
Quinn: "I find that hard to believe."
Verithax: "We live or die by his will, but I know he serves another....one of greater dark power....K-Kai-K-K-...KALAREL...that's it, her name was Kalarel!"
Mardok: "You live or die by MY will so be QUICK about it....I'm getting impatient."
Travis taps the errant goblin again on his crown with the flat of his leafsword; "You heard him stinky britches."
Verithax: "I-I will tell you anything you want to know....just don't kill me!"
The once fierce goblin archer (now reduced to tears) can only cower prostrate before his captors and beg for their mercy.
Travis: "Really, did you ALSO shed these "tears" as you cutdown the innocent folk of the Northfold?" he reaches to the goblin's purse and tears it from his belt only to throw it in his face, spilling stolen coins across the torn up stone floor.
Quinn: "What else do you know?" as he gestures for Travis calm himself.
Verithax: "These lands....the keep....everything is Balgron's but there are some places in this cursed keep even we goblin's dare not tread."
Mardok manipulated the goblin's head so he peered down into the darkened cavern that split from the main passage that they had bypassed earlier; "What lies this dark?"
Verithax: "I do not work in that portion yet....I am too delicate for that."
The comment manages to illicit a double take from the majority of the party.
Verithax: "I swear...I do NOT know what lies down there....it's one of those places I told you we do not tread unless its in numbers."
Shaster:"Yet you've no idea what's down there?"
Verithax: "We only find the bodies...sometimes not even that...the rats get to them first."
Mardok: "DON'T TEMPT ME!"
The goblin tries to cower but can only withdraw so much before risking falling off the magical levitating surface he is currently perched upon.
Verithax: "I SWEAR I HAVE TOLD YOU THE TRUTH!!!"
Quinn looks at the goblin thoughtfully for the briefest of moments then turns towards the rest of the heros; "I sence no deception in him."
Mardok steps up to the captive who begins to tremble once more at his approach but instead of killing him (much to Verithax's shock) he merely replaces the Sharpshooters gag; "Hope you're not afraid of the dark?"
The barbarian took Travis' torch and began down the roughly cut steps with the helpless goblin second and Travis directly behind him.
Shaster, Gorshak and Quinn took up flanking positions even as the light from the lantern began to dim from distance.
Travis: "Watch your step."
Before them, the decending roughly hewn corridor gave way to a natural cavern.
The cieling drips with dozens of stalactites, and the floor rises unevenly with loose rocks and stalagmites.
Rocks and debris become thicker to the east and west, and both directions offer only limited unobstructed terrain.
As the barbarian entered the darkened carvern, his attention was focused on the darkness in the distance instead of his immediate surroundings or he would have noticed his attackers sooner.
Nearly a dozen fattened oversized Dungeon Rats charged up at him from all sides from the hollows beyond, their eye's gleaming with hunger and bulging with malevolance as they gnashed their elongated teeth at the prospect of warm orc flesh.
The goblin captive began to scream and fidgit but since he was levitating, the rats seemed to ignore him and charged directly at Mardok instead.
They reacted with suprising speed but many as they were, only a single rat was yanked from his leg as it gnawed on him ravenously.
Letting loose with a half orc war cry, he cleaved his great axe through the first wave of attackers with relative ease leaving only the one who injured him unscathed.
Driven by bloodlust he begins to rampage upon anything in his path as he charges swiftly into the incoming rats but the difficult terrain of the cavern favors the attackers and not the defenders and the barabarian's display is for naught as his Howls echo through the cavern.
Once more the Original Rat takes a chunk from his hand, causing Mardok to drop it into the swarm that forms before him.
Shaster unleashes the Primal Elemental Forces of flame at the swarm before the barbarian sending ash and flame into friend and foe alike.
Holding the symbol of Bahamut before him, Quinn watched as his intentions manifest as a Lance of light that streaks out from the dragon idol's eyes and frys the Original Rat instantly....little more than ash remains.
The paladin steps forth, brushing aside a stalactite and stalagmite alike; "You dirty rats!"..."You will pay dearly now!"
From the darkness, a huge rat, much larger than the rest, leapt from out from the darkness at shaster and took a chunk from the Seeker's bow arm....the reaction is abrupt enough to dislodge the King Kat from the razorclaw shifter.
Travis steps forward and tries to step on the unnaturally large rat but poor terrain and lighting shield the King Rat from the Warlord's wrath, who nearly falls to the ground as a result of his clumbsy attempt.
Travis: "I lost it...where did it go!?!" as he looked around his feet frantically (just in the nick of time) the giant dungeon rat leapt from the darkness at him hot on Morgan's heels.
Mardok turns and throws his axe into the King Rat before it can reach either Shaster or Travis.
Invigorated by the thrill of the kill, the barbarian fails to notice a giant dark shape that approaches rapidly at him, even over the broken terrain of the cavern.
Shaster pointed to the massive gelatinous form before it was partially visible...moving with nearly impossible speed towards them, noticing how even the Dungeon Rats have fled the cave now that this new apex predator had entered the fray.
The beasts crimson colored gelationous form undulated towards Mardok with menacing intent.
The Seeker unleashed an arrow that trailed with wispy fingers of icy fog towards the Ochre Jelly but the shaft was swallowed by the darkness of the room followed by it's echoed impact on a far unseen wall.
Quinn still flushed from the first use of the Medallion of Battle, focused its power on the Jelly before him but the light from his Lance of Faith was the only benefit to the combat.
Quinn: "BACK ABOMINATION!"
Travis: "I've never seen anything like it before."
Gorshak: "I hope you brought toast..." and even as Gorshak raised his sword, a translucent shield of golden energy began to form near Mardok, protecting him from this ageless evil.
The same could not be said for the blow he landed, which had no apparent effect on the jelly's large gelatinous body.
Gorshak: "DEMON!!!"..."You'll NOT escape my blade!" came the challenge as he shook his fist defiantly at the Ochre menace.
Travis seeing the beast distracted gestures to Mardok as he positions himself, the gesture consisting of bringing his fist into his palm.
Mardok wheels spinning his great axe and buries it deep into the body of the Ochre attacker as a responce to his command.
The Jelly lashed out at Mardok but the half orc opponent was nearly as nimble and mobile in darkess as the ancient evil before them and its tentapod destroyed the stalactite behind him with a casual swing.
The display of raw strenght displayed by the Ochre Jelly was enough to render the captive goblin unconcious.
Mardok completes a Furious Howling Assault upon the Jelly and sends huge chunks of gelatious crimson splatter all about the cave as his strike cleaves its body in two, failing to notice how its acidic body scorches and burn anything it touches.
Thinking himself triumphant he begins to yell out in victory but instead has it end in suprise as the two pieces of the Jellies body begin to move independant of each other....one of them oozing towards Gorshak and the other piece towards Mardok.
Shaster: "Why won't it DIE!?!" well then, why not turn its own strenght against itself...and notching a new arrow, promising strong willed tempestuous spirits that they will have a chance to be free and sinks the shaft into the closest jelly mass.
Almost instantly, like a "soda bicarb reaction", the Jelly swells for an instant (as primal chaos erupts within the Jellies body) and as it ruptures, releasing these spirits...the wounded Jelly lashes out brutally at its counterpart in an attempt to strike at the tempest that leaks froms its bubbling acidic body.
Quinn attempts once more to focus his intent through his newly acquired medallion, but the radiant energy has no effect on the ageless horror.
Bubbling and lashing forth in anger the Jelly halves do little more than create more debris as they swing at the heros blindly.
Striking out once more without reprieve or mercy, Gorshak is rewarded by Kord with a gift of divine vigor for his faith, and a freshly wounded Jelly as the blade slices through the remaining mass, causing it to shudder from the wound.
Gorshak: "So you DO know pain, demon!"
Travis points out a vunerable point to Mardok but his location in the combat ensures he is unable to capitalize on this information as the Formless foe flows across the debris towards the half orc opponenet.
Shaster sends a Buzzing Swarm in the wake of his arrow straight into the smaller mass and its body begins to bubble and pop as phantasmal insects buzz to the surface and dissipate.
Shaster: "Won't this thing ever die?"
Now angered by his past failures, the deva focus' his intent and bathes the larger mass with radiant light as his Lance of Faith cooks and sears the Jelly leaving blackened flaked portions alongs its exterior that bubbled forth with boiling hot, acidic goo and made whistling popping similar to a wet log that had finally had the moisture heat out of its core in the centre of a bonfire.
The goliath brought his khopesh down into the mass of Ochre that flowed passed his feet and it squealed out swinging defiantly striking the paladin, leaving a burnt acidic patch on his armor and near rock-like flesh.
Gorshak: "No escape for you now abomination!"
Travis notices that the Jellies wounded quarter is towards the barbarian and he gesture once more for a quick and decisive strike on his behalf.
The half orcs great axe dislodged large chunks of the Jellies body with the force of the strike...pieces of which were potent enough in death to melt the various fresh Dungeon Rat corpses that litter the floor.
Spinning from the sucessful swing he Presses his attack and is rewarded with a hit that sends the reduced mass of the Jelly before him flying away from him with a wet, sizziling splat.
Taking a moment to reaccess the situation, the razorclaw shifter awaits to see which remaining Jelly mass is more dangerous before commiting to the attack.
Quinn continues to pour the "heat" onto the scorched Ochre Jelly as radiant energy flowed from the magical medallion and continued to boil and evaporate it as it tried to flow away from the deva.
Shaster drew his next shot and in doing so nearly tripped over the unconcious goblin as he lay on the cavern floor.
Shaster: "I think you lost sonething?" he quipped as he released the arrow into the same mass and noticed how the effect of the spectral insects bubbling forth from the Jellies melting form reminded him of popcorn.
The larger mass flowed towards the half orc and slamed him as it bubbled by.
The barbarian winced in pain as the flesh on his arm began to melt from the glancing blow.
Gorshak wind up to swing at the Jelly before him but his khopesh stops shy of contact when it hits a stalactite and not the Jellies body.
Seeing the Jelly preparing to take advantage of Gorshak's position, he call out to him to continue his assault on the amorphous foe before it can escape.
Unleashing the full force of his goliath fury, he takes note that his foe's condition seems to indicate imminant defeat as a result of his devastating attack and the Ochre Jelly's remains begin to settle amongst the debris into the caverns excavations.
Mardok allows water to flow from the cieling to his "melting" wound and within moments, the caustic Jelly has rinced away, causing the injury to desist.
Some Inspiring words from Travis to his half orc companion help him to overcome his grievous injury.
Quinn: "What in the name of the gods was that thing?"
Travis: "Hopefully single."

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Eryiedes

First Post
With Jelly remnants still sizzling the bodies of Giant Dungeon Rats, the heros tended their wounds and gathered their wits, Quinn had his attention drawn to the goblin captive as he lay bound and prone.
Even while gagged is was readily apparent that he wished to say something urgently.
With Gorshak's help the mumbling humanoid was proped back on the floating disc and his pleas went ignored.
Gorshak: "If I never see one of those things again, it will be too soon."
Quinn: "Perhaps Valthrun knew what he was talking about afterall."
Mardok: "Perhaps if we talked less..." he hoisted his great axe to the ready position and gave with an impatient snort.
The bound Sharpshooter began a cresendo of muffled tones and emphatic weaving that distracted the barbarian from his "zone".
Mardok: "What's his problem?"
Shaster: "You mean aside from being captured by people who would just as soon kill him as wink at him?"
Travis: "What...is it tuesday already?"
Mardok: "Shut him up or I'm gonna put a hole in him and let the air escape that way instead."
Travis steps back so Quinn can now see the half orc who shrugs in responce and then turns to pull the gag from its mouth.
Quinn: "I can only guarentee your safety for as long as things do not become complicated...making all of that noise, REALLY complicates the situation."
Verithax: "I will do whatever you say...you want me to go ahead...I will go ahead...but at least untie me and let me walk...let me die on my feet if I must!"
Quinn: "I can sence no deception."
Mardok: "I don't care if you can sence Angelic Hordes riding to our rescue...shut him up or I bleed him."
Motioning to Morgan, the Warlord cuts the bonds on the goblin's feet and the Sharpshooter rises quickly enough that Travis puts the knife to Verthax's throat; "Not so fast...Not so close." and the Sharpshooter simply throws his hands up in responce.
Verthax: "You'll see....good choice....VERY good choice....you'll not be sorry-"
Gorshak: "I'm already sorry."
Mardok: "I'd BETTER not be...so start walking." and he nudges the goblin forward with the point on the tip of his axe.
As the tunnels twisted deeper into the cavern, the captive lead the party to a set of huge bronze double doors.
They are green with age and are stained blue and purple with a thick layer of fungus.
Scratched into the fungus in common speech are the words; "STAY OUT, REALLY"
Mardok slaped the goblin on the back roughly and the Sharpshooter began to tremble; "What's in there?"
Verithax: "I don't know...only once did I hear of a goblins going in there....they never came back out again."..."It's one of the places we dare not tread."
Gorshak: "Not today my friend...today...you are going to be the first one in there!"
The goblin began to tremble...as if he were about to cry...till Mardok grabbed him firmly by the collar; "Ready?"
Within the sealed room, fungus coated stairs lead down into another natural cavern.
Much of the chambre is filled with a stagnant pool of brackish water.
A patch of land rises from the foul water at the pool's center.
On this little island, bones, spilled coins, and other small objects are visible among the carpet of fungus.
Mardok sniffed at the air hesitantly as he looked for signs of movement.
Travis held his torch up as he stepped into the room passed the hesitant goblin.
Travis: "You wanna live forever?"
Verithax: "I was working on it."
Quinn came floating into the room on his conjured disc and slowly drifted to the edge of the water.
As Mardok looked at the booty on the island and gauged the distance, he took notice of ripples in the pool of calm water as if something moves beneath its surface.
Mardok: "What is that?"
The dank water suddenly disgorges a blob of blue slime.
The amorphous mass pours forward, extruding long pseudopods that end in appendages of dripping caustic goo.
Verithax let out with a shrill cry as he backed along the wall towards the doorway.
Mardok stepped from the shore towards the island and in the instant he did he discovered that the brackish pool is a lot deeper than it seems and in an instant he disappears under the surface.
He broke the surface in the next instant; "Watch that FIRST step, boys!"
As the slime seemed suprised to bump into Tenser's Floating Disc, it thrashed and recoiled in response to this newly percieved arrival.
The half orc took advantage of its confusion and swam to the little island as fast as he could.
Quinn: "Leave walking on water to the deva."
Shaster leapt to the bottom of the stairs and taking aim down his arrow...muttering to the Spirit of Fire, he releases his strike into the beasts mass as it trails flame from the bow.
Just as Mardok reaches the island the beast begins to thrash.
It narrowly misses the cleric but the barbarian is not so lucky and he is struck with nearly the full force of the monster behind the blow.
Mardok: "Is THAT all you've got!?!"
The abomination before them begins to bubble and swell, growing with each passing second.
Travis: "I don't think its gonna stop..."
The Large Blue Slime then explodes in an eruption of slime than hits and burns nearly everything near it.
Travis reassures himself with old dwarven sayings as he contemplates further action and Douven's teachings bring him comfort and renewed vigor.
He then, seeing that the creature is nearly flanked, (providing it even has a back in the first place) barks an attack order to the half orc barbarian but he is unable to get good footing for a swing and does not want to risk stepping into to the water this close to the beast and so the half-hearted swing misses verily.
Quinn's softly spoken prayer spreads a gentle silver light that bathes him in soothing warm radiance that invigorates the angelic avatar.
As the pitch of his prayer begins to build, a beam of light streaks from the cieling of the dungeon and begins to boil the azure menace as it shifts and looms menacingly before the group.
As the slime from the creatures last attack finally stopped reacting with the stagnant air of the grotto, Mardok's half orc Resilience kicks in from a state of bloodied delirium...he is once more able to find focus and summons for the Rage of Tyrants to guide his attack.
As his axe cleaves the creatures body, his Assault reaches Furious proportions and he Howls as he Strikes into the formless creatures body of ichor and bile.
Charging forward without regard for his own safety, Gorshak punishes the slime with mighty swing of his khopesh...Mardok is able to take a brief repose from the combat as a result and is able to regain his much needed strength.
Summoning the strength to continue, he strikes out Valiantly at the slime and sends chunks of its body flying with his swing.
Gorshak: "Prepare for the end demonspawn....you may have hid here for centuries, but you die THIS day!"
With no one stopping him from flight, Verithax turned heel and ran as fast as he could from the heros to warn his lord and liege, Master of the Shadowfell...Balgron Lardlump...with the sound of screams and the din of combat growing more distant as he fled.
Shaster: "Damn it....the goblin ran!"
Travis: "I KNEW it."
The Seeker nimbly drew and cocked his arrow, sound of ghostly insects already carried on the wind as a whisper of doom to the intended, in this case...a Blue slime of record size that even now bubbled and popped as the phantasmal swarm fought to be free of the body of bile that entrapped it.
The massive slime reacted violently then began to bulge and bubble once more.
Gorshak: "ITS GONNA BLOW!!"
The deluge of slime and acidic dripping goo bathed the cave and water of the pool in an even spray leaving all the players burning and smoking as they cringe in agony from the caustic caldera.
With unheard of speed the beast surges forth to slam both Travis and Gorshak but their shields take the brunt of the monter's attack.
Travis: "You need to do better than that!"
Pointing his sword to the half orc, the Kinslayer completes the thought and brings his weapon down upon the slime with enough force to bury the blade as the liquid lumpy body instinctively tries to creep away from the cold dwarven steel of the great axe.
Seeing the beast distracted by the barbarians strike, he launches his own assault but the darkness and confusion of the moment causes him to miss a sure strike.
Quinn fixes his gaze upon the creature and golden light blazes forth in every direction scorching the Blue Slime and bolstering his allies strength and resolve in the process.
Reaching deep within, Quinn calls forth the will and energy to go on, further aided by his great skill as a healer.
Summoning forth divine strength, the deva bathes the Slime in a Sacred Flame that scorches the foul entity while allowing the goliath to recieve a temporary boon of divine endurance.
As the barbarian flicks his axe to get some of the caustic sludge from it, a pseudopod lashes out and slams him...he goes to hold the wound but refrains knowing the burning that will await the cradling limb.
He instead leaps from the tiny island with the strength of a Tiger to land beside the menacing beastie.
With a Howling war cry he attacks the slime in violent abandon and sends large pieces of it flying with the strike.
Mardok: "Yeah?...You LIKE that do ya!?!"
Seeing the barbarian is wounded worse than most, the paladin's hands channel the power of Kord to heal the bloodied Mardok.
Gorshak then hastily inscribes a glowing rune on the ground which provides divine protection to all who ally with the goliath...then attacks the slime without mercy or reprieve and is rewarded for his accuracy with a gift of divine vigor.
As the battle continues and Shaster's wounds begin to worsen with the combat, his already animalistic features become more bestial.
Appealing to the ancient eternal swarm, the Seeker sends a ghostly swarm to harrow and sting his foe mercilessly as the shaft buries deep in the creatures amophous body.
The shapeless form of the creature engulfs everything near it and a massive bubble ruptures beltching forth a cloud of stench and foulness which catches the Mighty Quinn off guard and weakens him.
Morgan attempt to reassure himself that victory is JUST beyond their grasp but in just a few moments, it won't be.
Before the beast can shift along the shoreline the Warlord orders for Mardok to block its escape.
The formless horror tries to lash out at the half orc but a swing of his axe sees the creature lose another of its seemingly endless supply of dripping limbs to the Kinslayer.
As the deva moves the magical disc away from the combat to recover from the stench of the creature, the breeze of cave air is enough to clear his sences (in as much as he discovers that there are other things in the cave that smell MUCH worse than the Slime does)
With Gorshak to one side and Mardok on the other....the slime was given no reprieve of quarter.
Axe and khopesh cut into the creature as though they struck as one...the sound of the blows, echoing into the caverns around them.
The creature lashes out at the goliath and lands a savage blow upon him that leaves him burnt and sizzling.
With nearly all involved in constant danger of dropping from their wounds it becomes a war of attrition between the beast and the heros.
The noise of the Seekers bow sounds in the cave...followed by the sounds of otherworldly buzzing and then the sound of an arrow striking rock wall, followed by the snarled cursing of the bloodied razorclaw shifter.
Both Mardok and Travis are hit by the beast and this time Morgan's shield will not protect him as it had in the past and both of the heros cringe from the injuries they recieve.
Travis: "Why won't it DIE!?!"
Gorshak: "Everything dies."
Travis: "Fine...YOU hit it then."
Gorshak; "With pleasure..."
With that, the paladin wound up and severed a large chunk from the horror's torso as it bubbled and "squealed" in reponse.
As the beast recoiled from the Commander's Strike, Morgan was struck by a Flash of Insight and as the beast reared its mass up upon a single boulder, Travis kicked the rock over tossing it into the shoreline.
Travis: "Eeeuugghh!!!"
Holding forth his Amulet of Battle, he focuses Bahamut's power in a Lance of Faith at the azure enemy that burns the formless abomination without reprieve and it sinks smoldering and popping into the murky depths of the stagnant pool.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Last edited:

Eryiedes

First Post
Travis looks around at the carnage of the scene and notices once more that their captive has escaped in the confusion of the battle.
He throws his shield to the ground cursing; "GODS DAMN IT!!!"...."I warned you it was a mistake...now, he's going to sound the alarm all through this place!"
He limped to the shoreline and used the brackish water to rince still sizzling slime from his arms.
Travis: "I swear....I see him next time....he's DEAD." he continued "The next time the captive says; "You can trust me to remain unbound"....you answer him; "NO!"
He continued to mutter as the last of the slime was rinced from his armor.

Zambatuo

First Post
Shaster smirked as Travis complained about the little goblin's running. "I told you so's doesn't make the situation any better for Quinn. No worries, as soon as we see that little invertebrate and his friends, we'll take no prisoners and leave none alive to tell the tale. After all, note even the ancestral spirits like a coward." He stated, walking up to the pool to follow Travis example and washing any latent acid off of him, nearly gagged at the prospect of using the fetid water to wash his skin and fur.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
In the aftermath of the battle, Mardok looks around, then stares hard at the Deva. "Quinn, if that miserable inbred 'friend' of yours calls every goddamn humanoid in this dungeon on us, I swear to Grummsh that your first memory in your next life will be of my axe sending you onto out of this one."

The pain of the acid burns from the last few fights were bad, but the pain was not an issue. Mardok took a moment to wash himself off as best as he could to get all of the acid off of himself. "Damnit, I hate these goddamn goo monsters. Killing them is just not very much fun. They do not have blood, so you cannot make them bleed. They have no bones for me to shatter. They do not even scream, and lack the good sense to know that they are alive or dead. At least there was some loot this time."

After cleaning out his own wounds, Mardok made sure his axe was cleaned off as well. The blade had not dulled much, but the acid from the last two fights had corroded the metal a bit. There was nothing to be done for it, and in any event, Axes were not that hard to replace. Frustrated, he started to clean and sharpen his weapon to prevent further damage. "And another thing, the whole goddamn 'Kinslayer' bit is really pissing me off. I have killed many Kobolds, Goblins, a few Hobgoblins, sent several human 'Pelors Witnesses' to their puny god for waking me up in the morning asking if I had 'found Pelor'. A few Gnomes in the battle of the Deep Burrows died by my blade, as did some Elves, and that one Dwarf in a barfight. And his son. Or was that his nephew?", Mardok paused while recalling many happier kills. "I could have done much that could earn me many great names, like 'The Kobold Killer', or 'Goblin bane' or 'Head Splitter', but no. The one thing that all of those miserable humanoids ever want to remember is that one time I murdered my sister. I swear that the next goblin that brings it up will have a chance to discuss it with her in hell.".

END COMMUNICATION

Remove ads