Eryiedes Campaign Madness....The Keep on the Shadowfell

Eryiedes

First Post
Taking the opportunity while it avails, the group closed the massive double broze doors and sealed themselves into the room of the Blue Slime.
It's the only room they are certain the goblin's won't venture into.
Probably because whatever has died in here already smells worse than a rotting sphincter.
The entire room in carpeted in moss-like growth...hardly an inch of it isn't.
This might mean a soft carpet to rest upon while they sleep but instead indicates a a surface very effective at absorbing and holding moisture.
Within moments, anything laid to rest against the bed of moss is soaked clean through.
In theory, the group figured that even in a worst case senario, they could sit on their backpacks and sleep with their backs to each other.
This would have been just fine....had Mardok not stripped off his wet armor and clothes after a dip in the Slime's pool and simply sat naked.
Mardok: "Sitting with my back to you lot?"...."NOT gonna happen." and with that went to sit off on his own.
The entire group breathed a collective sigh of relief once he was out of earshot.
Mardok: "I will take first watch....I will yell out if I see anything."
Travis: "I'm pretty sure whatever comes through that door is gonna do some yelling for certain."
Mardok: "What do you mean?"
Shaster: "That thing's not loaded is it?"
Mardok gave the Seeker a confused look.
Travis: "Didn't Douven ever tell you it's not polite to point?"
Mardok: "No, but he told me what to do in case of a smart-ass..." and hoisted his great axe to his lap "....and the first person who tries to wake me up is gonna find out."
Gorshak: "Funny, I seem to remember that one....I'll take second watch."
Quinn: "And I will take the last."
Travis: "Don't get too comfortable...Verithax is going to ambush us for certain."
Quinn: "You don't know that "for certain"."
Travis: "I will wager anything on it."
Gorshak: "Hardly a fair wager...he IS certain to warn Balgron."
Mardok: "He won't escape me again."
Shaster: "He shouldn't have escaped the first time."
Mardok: "Then you've nothing to be concerned about....he's a goblin.....he'll be back."

As the great double doors slowly opened the heros expected to see Balgron himself waiting...but still...nothing in responce to the parties actions.
Travis: "Either they are too close to success and don't feel we are a threat or it's already too late."
Mardok: "Or they are just quaking in their boots...how about that one?"
Gorshak: "Even I doubt that one."
Quinn: "Do we double back to the keep's dungeon and look for Balgron and Verithax or continue through the caves?"
Shaster: "I say we continue through the caves....see where they lead."
Quinn: "Whichever path we take will lead us to our ultimate destiny."
Travis: "As long as we have heavy guard on front and behind, I don't suppose it matters"
Gorshak: "I will watch the man the rear guard...my choice is to press on as well."
Mardok: "I would give my opinion but clearly it wouldn't matter now." and with that he moved forward to the unexplored passage as a very solitary dungeon rat fled from the barbarians heavy footfalls.
As they followed the passage that seemed to wind on forever through the darkness beyond, Mardok stepped up to the edge of a hidden pit unaware of its presance.
Just as he was about to step into it, Shaster motioned him to stop as he drew several quick sniffs to scent the chambre ahead.
Shaster: "Do you smell that?"
Mardok: "That's just Travis...traveller's rations don't sit well wit-"
Shaster: "Smells like..." the Seeker wrinkles his nose at the heady musk "...snakes, I think."
Mardok then at the last moment notices the covered pit no more than a step from his position just as the razorclaw shifter goes to move past him.
Mardok "pretends" to sniff and stops the Shaster.
Shaster: "You smell something other than Travis?"
Mardok: "Yeah, you're about to have a short trip." and then holds him from falling in as his foot triggered the covered pit.
Shaster: "You COULD have just TOLD me."
Mardok: "Yeah...I could have."
Quinn: "Anything else?"
Mardok: "Yeah, one right in front of you as well Blue-Manchu."
Travis: "Sonova-"..."Just mark it and move on."
Mardoks attention was already on the holes that seemd to riddle the far wall.
A foot or two in diametre each all at various heights....no apparent pattern...seemingly natural...and yet something filled the half orc with dread upon seeing them.
Gorshak: "What's the hold up."
Mardok: "Nothing...nothing, I guess."
Taking the torch from Travis, the barbarian cautiously moved into the passage as it turned for the first time in quite a distance.
The party stormed around the corner to an empty passageway with more of those curious holes to one side of the passage.
The nearby Kruthik nest began to scurry to life as the swarm of vicious little creatures began to scamper off to feast on the "new intruders".
The frenzy they get into creates a unique noise and it is that noise that begins to build as the heros move closer to the beasts lair.
Gorshak turns as he hears the sound beginning to emanate from the "holes" in the walls along with an ominous "gnashing" noise that begins to build.
Gorshak: "Uhhh....fellas...." the goliath slowly draws his dwarven-forged khopesh from its wyvern-hide scabbard and the weapon is barely clear of its sheath as the horde comes into view.
All resembling six-limbed reptilian creatures with insect-like traits.
Silvery chitinous plates cover their bodies and short tails, and each has four limbs that end in scythe-like claws.
The creatures have two smaller limbs that have finer digits closer to the body.
Their heads are vaguely reptilian and the lower jaw is a toothed plate flanked by serrated mandibles.
Have long percieved the danger before the others, its no suprise that the razorclaw shifter reacted to the incoming threat first.
As low hushed whispers take on hollow echos with phantasmal timbre, an arrow streaks to the young Kruthiks that block the passage ahead and like a wraith-like fuse, a trail of Elemental Flame traces the shafts path as it sails passed the creatures into the far rock wall and a splash of flame explodes from the impact a moment later, giving only mere seconds of illumination from the miss.
Travis takes out the Kobold Gluepots and loading up Liam's sling he lets a shot fly and shatters the pot off of one of the three young Kruthiks that block the passage ahead and it becomes stuck to the spot.
Travis: "Well I'll be...it actually works!"
The deva holds forth the newly acquired battle medallion as a Lance of light streaks forth at the hatchling Kruthiks that swarm from the walls, but for all his efforts, his attack has little more effect than did Shasters.
The Kruthik with suprising speed burrowed straight through the dirt and rock to lunge at the Seeker and gouged his side deeply in a gnashing piranha-like frenzy.
Lunging froth from the darkness, Gorshak was nearly beset upon all sides at once but Kord favors the valiant and not a single of the nasty little hatchlings manages to draw the goliath's blood.
Not wanting to be caught in the centre of a gnashing horde, Mardok Presses his Attack into his enemies as they swarm around him...sending one wailing as he uses the blunt of his axe to knock a leaping foe "out of the park" as it sprung at his face.
His enemies death fills the half orc with joy but it must be his only comfort as the Kruthik frenzy seems to rend both flesh and rock alike, spilling the humanoid's blood in its wake.
Gorshak shakes his head, unimpressed with these tiny pointy critters.
With a Valiant swing he splits one in two as it leaps for him but before he can return to a guard position the gnashing frenzy in the Kruthik's wake shreds both goliath and armor as easily as meat.
Shaster now seems even more determined by his previous failure to strike in earnest against these reptilian spawn.
In a supreme display of irony, Shaster unleashes an Spirit Swarm to destroy a real one, and watches as tiny "fire flies" explode from the Kruthik's body till the hatchling smoulders lifelessly.
Travis charges forth and rams his shield into a Youngling and while the blow causes little damage, it sends the creature flying with the force of the blow.
Still bleeding from the horde, the cleric unleashes the full fury of his god upon the Kruthiks and sears the beast that is still stuck to the floor by kobold Gluepot....although angered, the beast can not find the strength to free itself.
Gorshak's armor starts to spark and chip under the attack of the horde but their frenzy does little true injury to the paladin.
Shaster does not fare as well and the Kruthik Younglings draw blood from both Shaster and Travis.
As soon as either Mardok or Gorshak strike down one of the hatchlings, another takes its place as the Kruthik frenzy continues to shred anything and everything in its path.
Gorshak: "Still not impressed."
Shaster's features begin to become more animalistic as his wounds begin to wear upon him but summoning forth the strength to continue (even though close to succumbing) sends Possessing Spirits to do his bidding.
As the light from the infused arrow begins to fade, the Youngling swings at the Youngling beside him uncontrollably but is unable to strike its nestmate.
Still he is unable to find refuge from the Kruthik frenzy and more of the Seekers precious life's blood is lost.
Unfortunately for Travis, he discovers that Wolfpack Tactics seem to have little effect upon this swarm of attackers.
Still, his actions keep the swarm at bay while he catches his breath, retreating and swinging his torch at the horde as he does.
Now angered, Quinn summons forth a Sacred Flame that engulfs and consumes the closest Youngling in divine radiant light.
The devan cleric then says a prayer for Shaster that spreads a soothing halo of silver light upon the razorclaw shifter and as his wounds seem to vanish, so do his features return to normal.
Caught in the centre of a Kruthik swarm, Mardok is caught by the full force of the enemy and is nearly bloodied to a fall but his Half Orc Resiliance prevents him from being overcome but he strays on the edge of life and death.
He then uses the last of his strength and unleashes his Great Cleave upon the horde.
As his assault reaches Furious proportions, the barbarian goes on a Rampage and sends his axe blade Howling into even more of the swarm.
Seconds before the gnashing frenzy of the Kruthiks can overcome Mardok, he quickly consumes the potion they had recovered from the Kobold Lair and suddenly finds that strenght returns to his body when it was certain that all was lost.
Mardok: "OWWWWW....okay, THAT hurt!"
Gorshak: "Kord grant me strength." and with that the paladin swung with as much Valiance as he has ever had and once more sees his enemy drawn and quartered.
Summoning forth Kord's strength, Gorshak continues to act and with a roar barrels down the passage passed Hatchling and Youngling alike.
The paladin's blade cuts deeply into the Kruthik but the gnashing frenzy continues to wear at the goliath.
A wild shot ricochets down the hallway from the Seeker trailing sparks of Elemental Energy as is bounces.
Noticing Mardok is not yet out of danger, Morgan shouts words of encouragement to the barbarian along with warning of the Kruthik that sneaks up on him.
With a wail, the half orc's axe blade nearly splits the Youngling in two with a single swing and drenches the warrior in Kruthik blood.
Mardok: "Thanks."
Travis: "Anytime."
Quinn's prayers to Bahamut are answered and healing radiant light showers over the barbarian, healing his injuries.
The tone of his prayers turns harsh and diverting his attention to the Kruthik before him, burns the creature with his Sacred Flame but the terrible gnashing horde is unstoppable and the cleric is cut by the swarm again.
As the Kruthiks surge forward again, both Quinn and Mardok are injured by the ravernous savage onslaught and still the "glued" foe remains stuck to the spot.
Travis: "That kobold glue is stronger than I thought."
Mardok: "Not getting away that easy you bugfaced fuc-" and with that scream let loose a Howling Strike against the horde that culls more from the swarms numbers.
Seeing Shaster in dire straits, Gorshak wades in and swings Valiantly at the Youngling before him and draws thick Kruthik blood with his attack that splatters across the cave.
Gorshak: "You shall face Kord's wrath or MINE demon!"
Once more another of shasters Swarm arrows bounces from walls like an errant roman candle thats sends ghostly insects like sparks from its wake.
A swing from Travis' shield staggers the Kruthik Youngling as is finally pulls free of the goo that trapped it.
It spat back at the Warlord defiantly.
Quinn's Divine Glow (much to the deva's suprise) has very little effect upon the swarm before him and all who are near are shredded by the gnashing frenzy or attacked by the Youngling that remains as Mardok discovers when his leg is split open by the reptoids attack.
Pressing his attack to cover ground, Mardok Fells another Kruthik as he advances unopposed.
The paladin walks up to the last Kruthik without fear and splits its chitinous shell open with his sword....it's not enough to kill the creature but bloodies it easily.
Gorshak: "Hmmm....I think I need a bigger sword?"
Shaster goes to unleash the Elemental Insect Spirits once more but slips (on a Hatchlings body) in the dim light of the passage and accidently fires the arrow straight into Gorshaks back.
(EPIC FAIL)
Gorshak scratches his back near the arrow wound as though he had been bitten; "OwwwWWWWW!!!" he yelled as he pulled it out to examine it...suprised that he wasn't looking at a Kruthik.
Shaster sheepishly looked to the paladin; "Uhhh, that's mine."
Gorshak: "Uh-huh...you don't say?"...."Well, it's MINE now but don't you worry...you'll get it back, EVENTUALLY."
Shaster found it hard to swallow for a moment as he pondered exactly what he had meant by that comment.
Once more a beam of light Lances out to scorch a Kruthik but does little more than burn the rock wall with radiant energies.
Mardok Howls in triumph as the last Kruthik falls violently before his axe blade and his frenzy is sent ever higher by his enemies sufferings...for the first time eclipsing the gnashing frenzy that at one time surrounded them.
Mardok: "AND STAY DEAD!!!"
The heavy breathing of combat still fill the ears when the raspy growling voice of the Seeker piped up; "Uh....what's that?"
He pointed to a section of cave far in the rear of the Kruthiks lair.
A pile of coins and other glittering items could be made out against the shadows.
Spending only what time was needed to tend to wounds and gather what little remaining trove the horde had collected from its "dinners" in the past, the heros soon discovered that these caves went no further than this one.
Shaster: "What now?"
Mardok: "We can go look for Verithax?"
Travis: "Anything to get out of these caves.....it stinks like sweaty bung in here."
The group are finally able to see the flagstone walls of the keeps dungeon just at the top of the stairs.
Dim torchlight seems almost too bright after a day in Cavernous Gloom of the Slimes.
Gorshak: "And to think you were actually worried about Verithax..."
As the party reached the top of the stairs and began to douse their torches and sunrods, Mardok had barely turned the corner when the goblin's ambush was sprung!

TO BE CONTINUED.....

Last edited:

Remove ads