D&D 5E Escapist article on SCAG is Brutal.

hawkeyefan

Legend
The reviewer's opinion became moot to me when I read this: "As always, Wizards of the Coast produces the most useful, usable indexes in tabletop gaming". Really? Is that why I have to reference three different index entries to find out what page describes an opportunity attack?

Opportunity attack; see Attack

Attack, Opportunity; see Reactions

Ugh, I hate that. Takes less ink/characters to just put the page number.

Minor rant aside....I haven't gotten my copy yet, should arrive Monday or Tuesday, but I'm not worried about this review. As stated above, it sounds more like the reviewer having false expectations about what the book should be.

Argyle King

Legend
From a brief glance at the book, a few of the options seem (again, from a very brief glance) to introduce some power creep.

How do the options work out in actual play? In particular, how does adding INT to AC work out for a multiclass monk, barbarian, or dragon sorcerer?

bganon

Explorer
From a brief glance at the book, a few of the options seem (again, from a very brief glance) to introduce some power creep.

How do the options work out in actual play? In particular, how does adding INT to AC work out for a multiclass monk, barbarian, or dragon sorcerer?

Well, given that you have to be an elf I'm guessing things work out OK.

But seriously, even if you allow non-elves to be Bladesingers, a 2-level dip into Wizard just to gain INT to AC is not very good for Monks (they already have some MAD issues), terrible for Barbarians (the bonus even goes away if you swing a two-handed weapon!), and Draconic Resilience + INT to AC isn't any better than Mage Armor + INT to AC, so I don't see how the Dragon Sorc is really getting an edge there.

More generally, unless you're an INT-primary or INT-secondary class (and there are very few), you're talking about +2 AC, maaaaaybe +3 with lucky rolled stats. And trading two class levels for a modest AC bonus is terrible.

Last edited:

Eubani

Legend
It sounds like overall the writer of the article is saying the book lacks focus and detail. Not brutal as the OP suggests but certainly not a positive review.

S

Sunseeker

I like the content, but I agree it is overpriced. Still, I bought it anyway.

aramis erak

Legend
THe bard instruments sidebar is, without a doubt, there because (1) not all of the instruments listed are well known, (2) lots of players can't tell a violin from a cello, and some a horn from a flute, so it provides useful reference, and (3) the specific variations listed allow the musically adroit player to figure out just what is "normal" music for Faerun.

Argyle King

Legend
Well, given that you have to be an elf I'm guessing things work out OK.

But seriously, even if you allow non-elves to be Bladesingers, a 2-level dip into Wizard just to gain INT to AC is not very good for Monks (they already have some MAD issues), terrible for Barbarians (the bonus even goes away if you swing a two-handed weapon!), and Draconic Resilience + INT to AC isn't any better than Mage Armor + INT to AC, so I don't see how the Dragon Sorc is really getting an edge there.

More generally, unless you're an INT-primary or INT-secondary class (and there are very few), you're talking about +2 AC, maaaaaybe +3 with lucky rolled stats. And trading two class levels for a modest AC bonus is terrible.

Well, that may be.

Offhand, I picked those classes because they have other AC bumps.

Thinking upon it more, my current character has an AC which enemies seem to struggle against. Adding my INT would make things more extreme. I'm playing a half-elf fighter/necromancer, so I'm already a wizard; considering the bump I'd get from stacking my INT on top of what I already have seems a bit much.

pukunui

Legend
The reviewer's opinion became moot to me when I read this: "As always, Wizards of the Coast produces the most useful, usable indexes in tabletop gaming". Really? Is that why I have to reference three different index entries to find out what page describes an opportunity attack?
I think that was meant to be sarcasm. At least, that's how I read it.

gyor

Legend
THe bard instruments sidebar is, without a doubt, there because (1) not all of the instruments listed are well known, (2) lots of players can't tell a violin from a cello, and some a horn from a flute, so it provides useful reference, and (3) the specific variations listed allow the musically adroit player to figure out just what is "normal" music for Faerun.

It should not have been a substitute for a Bard subclass.

Remove ads