D&D 5E Escapist article on SCAG is Brutal.

Fedge123

First Post
I like the book. I run my own campaign and don't do AL, but I enjoyed reading the history and fluff, it's all stuff that inspires my own work and gives me ideas.

The quality is good, but I think they should have included some of the maps as pull-outs, the ones in the book are just too small for my old eyes. A poster would've be nice.

The price I don't really care about, it costs me the same to park my car in the city for a day :)

As I've said elsewhere, this is a player's guide. People should be comparing it to books like 3e's Player's Guide to Faerûn and 4e's Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, not to campaign setting guides.
^This

I think the problem is everyone expected this to be a big FR Campaign Setting or a splatbook despite all evidence to the contrary. As if wanting it to be more hard enough would change to book.
The book wasn't a disappointment, their own expectations were.

gyor

Legend
Why am I not surprised that the person who negatively reviewed the SCAG without even owning it is the one who posted a link to complement their prior vitriol.

This one line made it clear that the author willfully ignored the content of the SCAG press release.

"The book's not quite sure whether it's a campaign world sourcebook, a framework for adventures, a companion to published adventures, or a supplement for specializing player characters in the Forgotten Realms."

The book was always meant to be all of the above in a single package. Instead of releasing separate books for players and DMs, this book features both types of content. Remember that part of 5e is a reduced release schedule, and this book lines up perfectly with that design principle.

It gives enough of the overall history of the FR without reprinting many materials already found in previous edition sourcebooks. No sense wasting page space on things already found in a wiki. Putting in too much fluff would be overload for DMs who are new to FR, likely resulting in fewer sales among DMs.

People who run their own homebrew worlds knew from the get-go that a portion of the book would not apply to them at all. That's the price they pay for not playing published content, there will always be wasted space in their eyes. Therefore, those complaints should be viewed as coming from a vocal minority, and not representative of the greater D&D community.

The only thing that I agree with in the article is the treatment of maps. The inside covers should have been the maps.

Everything else in the article is ranting of someone who can't accept the new 5e release schedule and how that affects the content of non-AP releases.

Its a flawed design principle, which lead to a flawed book, they tried to make it all those things and then refuse to give it the space to do all that.

And the Authors give an example of this sort of book done right, 4e's Darksun, which should have been the model for this book.

As for it really being the equivilant of the 4e Forgotten Realms guide, as flawed as that was, no it isn't, that was focused mostly on players, and it had tons of player content, a whole new class, races, feats, Paragon Paths, plenty of powers, ect...

SCAG has a handful of player options, some of which are good, my bone isn't with the writers its with the decision makers at WotC, but its has a few subclasses and subraces, and too few of those, and 2 of the subclasses are heavily race restricted, and some backgrounds, and 4 cantrips, no feats, no classes, no new races, they lets out too many of the Gods.

As for my brain fart on reviewing the book based on internet spoilers, I've apologized for it and read the book, so you can stop hiding behind that.

I have complimented parts of the book, my problem isn't with the designers outside of a few things, its with WotC that sabotage them from the word go.

It does answer a few questions I had, such as what happened to Tymanther and the old empires region.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The review is actually kinda positive.

The high quality of the core 3 and pent up demand may have led to unrealistic expectations, but it actually sounds OK.

I can think of various reasons why WotC may have shied away from a more in depth treatment. Not that we won't get one at some point.

pukunui

Legend
As for it really being the equivilant of the 4e Forgotten Realms guide, as flawed as that was, no it isn't, that was focused mostly on players, and it had tons of player content, a whole new class, races, feats, Paragon Paths, plenty of powers, ect...
So is the SCAG. From the product page: "While the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide is a valuable resource for Dungeon Masters, it was crafted with players and their characters foremost in mind."

The SCAG *is* the 5e equivalent of the 3e Player's Guide to Faerûn and the 4e Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. It is *not* the equivalent of the 1e or 2e box sets, the 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide. Nor is it the equivalent of the 4e Dark Sun Campaign Setting.

It is *not* a campaign setting book. It is a player's guide. It even says so on the cover. It's an "adventurer's guide". Player's guides often have some setting info in them. It's there to help players ground their characters in the setting. Yes, sure, maybe this book could've had even more crunch than it does. Yes, maybe it could've included even more gods than it does. But that doesn't mean it's failed at what it was designed to do, which is present enough "Realmslore" for players to get their feet wet while making a character for adventuring on the Sword Coast. It also contains a few things for DMs (but nothing that players shouldn't be allowed to see) so that they will find the book useful as well.

Fedge123

First Post
Just read the review ... the writer lost me when he mentioned "... 4th Edition's unique and interesting Warlord ..." ;) *eye rolls*

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Just read the review ... the writer lost me when he mentioned "... 4th Edition's unique and interesting Warlord ..." ;) *eye rolls*

Sorry, you had my attention, but just lost it with this. (I love warlords and the kind of play they bring to the table)

I was so excited about the book, but I'm still on the fence. $40 is no small money, and I'm not that big into the realms... Well it is $32 on the book depository, but I could buy like six books from my wishlist with it...

transtemporal

Explorer
Oh god, I was looking at this thinking "Why do sea trolls get a whole book?!" lol

I'd agree with that review. Setting books can be a chance to try out new, exciting mechanics to improve or reinvigorate classes but so often the FR books just fall back on pure conversion of old stuff to new edition. Disappointing really.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
It's cheaper than that on Amazon (I got it for $24). I'm having it shipped to New Zealand and it still comes out just below $32 with packaging. I did buy it with out of the Abyss so I split the postage costs between them.

Amazon on my country isn't that good. The discounts force you just shy of the $35 threshold, so you have to buy more of the pricey stuff -because the "cheap" books are always magically not available- or pay delivery. So no, form me the book depository has the best offers overall. They are very honest with their stock, easy to navigate and those $32 are the only $32 you need to pay, no extra cost for delivery.

Edit: And no paypal, what kind of barbaric shopping site forces you to use a credit card?

Last edited:

Remove ads