Eschaton OOC

Nephtys

First Post
Voidrazor said:
[sblock=Nephtys]The Gate Key would certainly cover most of the costs of the business. You'd still need to pay another 2-32k for off world setup expenses. Also, I'm going to limit the size of postal created by the key to 10'X10'. They won't be compatible with the larger standard Eschaton portals, which (on established and core worlds) tend to be set up with intra-world teleport relays and extremely tight scheduling to maximize efficiency. So the Gate Key won't be 60 times as good as a standard portal, but will still create the potential for excellent profits. And yes, you can use Mercantile Background for a discount on any one item pre-game.[/sblock]

Robots would be OK (and possibly bodiless AIs). There are a few in the robot section of the modern SRD. If you have any other d20 book with sample robots I could probably get ahold of it. Or you can use constructs. I'm a little leary of customized followers, but will consider them.

The world history is above and beyond! Although I was planning on having all the PC worlds be in one big solar system. Otajan 5 could have been moved subsequently to your written history by ... erm ... mysterious forces. Its not the sort of thing that happens every day. But there are certainly potent entities that might be interested in the culture cross pollenation that would result.

Thanks, thanks. :D I was afraid I'd got a bit carried away. I expect my character to be completed today (or at the very latest tomorrow).
-

About the robots. The SRD seems to cover the subject pretty good but it seems hard to translate purchase DCs into GPs and its unclear how many parts of the robot come included in the CR and how much had to be purchased additionally. Without knowing that I can't write-up my robot followers. I expect I will upgrade some of their equipment and programming at my own expense to make some of them very dangerous for their CR, but to be able to do that I will really need the DC => GP conversion.

I have a concept of creating one highly intelligent and skilled bodyless AI with some cool abilities but I need to know how much I can get for a CR between 10 and 12.
I'm thinking 9 HDs (d0s), Wis 20, Int 30, Cha 10, (or possibly having its intelligence depend on the power of the hardware its inhabiting). Smart Hero class skills 9/hd, a racial skill bonus (+15 to Computer Use). The ability to travel physically to any electronic device its able to hack into with Computer Use and (with another skill check) be able to take control of the device. The ability to make a back up copy of itself and some natural/supernatural/sl- abilities that would allow it to "Magic Jar" electronic (or other computerised) devices within a short range of the device it inhabits.

Having no physical (or incorporeal) body it could not be killed directly, but it can be destroyed by the destruction of the devices it and its backups inhabit, or have its operational copy defeated by an opposed CU skillcheck. For the sake of game-balance it could only be operating in a single copy at a time.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Voidrazor

First Post
Nephtys - For the robots just add one or two options and I'll let you know if that would bump up the CR. Or you could buy bots outright. Unfortunately, I haven't found a purchase DC to gp conversion I like. There are some low DC things I think should be relatively expensive and some very high DC things that should be purchasable. So if you list specific things you're interested in I'll come up with costs.

I think I might regret saying yes to an AI follower (at least as proposed). Melanoce could know such a being, but having a loyal trustworthy one ... If its important enough to take at CR 17 (16 toned down) then OK. But otherwise no.

Nephtys

First Post
Its tempting, but I need some more tangible defenses. a 16 or 17 cr is far too high for her needs. Melanoce has a pretty good Use Computer skill anyway, so the AI is probably partially redundant.

I'll put together some sample robots based on the examples in the srd.
--

May I use the Rules for Mecha in the SRD with my robots? For some reason Mecha technology is vastly superior to the technology available in the Robot document (even though a Mecha is nothing more than a hollow robot).

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
If I had to guess, it's because Mecha is traditionally used to emulate anime style adventures, which tend to be much more over the top, far less gritty and realistic than just plain "robotics." Chalk it up to 'protoculture/myomers/AT fields/special super magic that mecha has that ordinary robots don't. ;)

Voidrazor

First Post
Nephtys - Sure, although some clients may not wish to do business with someone who is known to keep military grade hardware around. It wouldn't be a big deal to people who want to buy ordanance. But there are some refined clientele who would overlook the fact that some of your business is in arms sales, so long as you don't have mecha bodyguards. Easily availiable weapon scanners would be able to tell the difference between regular robots and robotically operated mechs.

Nephtys

First Post
Voidrazor said:
Nephtys - Sure, although some clients may not wish to do business with someone who is known to keep military grade hardware around. It wouldn't be a big deal to people who want to buy ordanance. But there are some refined clientele who would overlook the fact that some of your business is in arms sales, so long as you don't have mecha bodyguards. Easily availiable weapon scanners would be able to tell the difference between regular robots and robotically operated mechs.

Good point, I guess I have to diversify then. (I need something to protect myself from all those min-maxed pcs after all ;))

Followers:
[sblock]

Worker Robot (Biodroid)
Purchase DC:
Restriction:
Maintenance Robot: CR 1; small construct; HD 1/2d10+5; hp 10; Mas —; Init +1; Spd 30 ft.; Defense 12 (+1 size, +1 dex), touch 12, flatfooted 11; BAB +0; Grp -1; Atk N/A, FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ construct traits, critical systems; SV Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +0; AP 0; Rep +0; Str 8, Dex 13, Con —, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 5.

Skills: Computer Use 14 (12+2), Craft (Electronic) 14 (12+2), Craft (Mechanical) 14 (12+2), Repair 15 (12+1+2),
Feats:
Equipment:
Frame: Biodroid.
Locomotion: Legs (4).
Manipulators: Task Hands (2).
Armor:
Sensors: Class III sensor system.
Skill Software: Skill Net; (4x12)
Feat Software:
Ability Upgrades: Intelligence upgrade ( +4 ).
Accessories: AV transmitter, Fire Extinguisher, Internal Storage Unit (10 lb), Language Chip (x1), Magnetic Feet, Vocalizer.

Warrior/Pilot Robot: (Biodroid)
CR 8; Medium construct; HD 9d10+10; hp 64; Mas —; Init +9(+6+3*); Spd 35 ft.;
Defense 27 (+1 size, +6 dex +10 armor), touch 17, flatfooted 21; BAB +6; Grp +4; DR 5/energy, Energy resistance 10 (acid, cold, electr, fire)
Atk by weapon or mecha. Ranged +13+13+8, +14+14+9 within 30ft. Damage (Corona Microwave beam) 5d6 fire
FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ construct traits, critical systems;
SV Fort +4, Ref +10(4+6), Will +4; AP 0; Rep +0;
Str 10, Dex 24, Con —, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 5.
Skills: Computer Use 14 (12+2), Spot 16 (12+4*), Drive 20(12+7+1^), Pilot 20(12+7+1^), +10 to navigate checks.
Feats: Mecha Operation, Mecha Weapon Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot.
Frame: Biodroid.
Locomotion: Legs (4).
Manipulators: Task Hands^ (2).
Armor: Integrated Megatanium Armor (+10)
Sensors: Nerve Web* (darkvision (out to 180+60 feet), a full-frequency ear, a sophisticated olfactory sensor, tactile and gustatory sensors, and multiband radar.
Skill Software: Skill Net; (4x12).
Feat Software: Feat Net (4F) Mecha Operation, Mecha Weapon Proficiency, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot.
Ability Upgrades: Intelligence upgrade ( +4 ), Dexterity Upgrade (+14).
Accessories: AV transmitter, Fire Extinguisher, Language Chip (x1), Vocalizer, Survivor Array, Inertial Inhibitor (DR 5/energy), Integrated Cell Phone.

Equipment:

(Mecha Weapon Proficiency) Progress Level 6: Fusion Age, Res (+2)
Corona microwave beam (5d6 Fire 15 ft. Large 15 lb. Purchase DC 19)

Notes:

SURVIVOR ARRAY (PL 6)
Robots are often used to explore environments inhospitable to organic creatures. The survivor array enables the robot to better traverse harsh terrain and withstand hostile conditions. A survivor array includes the following units:
• Topographical and astronomical guidance systems that grant a +10 equipment bonus on Navigate checks.
• A gyroscopic unit that improves the robot’s base speed by +10 feet.
• A pressure-sealed, energy-resistant frame that allows the robot to function normally in low-gravity, high-gravity, and zero-gravity conditions, prevents oxidation and corrosion, and provides resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.
• A nightvision amplifier that grants the robot darkvision out to a range of 60 feet or extends its normal darkvision range by +60 feet.
Purchase DC: 15 + one-half the base purchase DC of the robot’s frame.
Restriction: Licensed (+1).

INERTIAL INHIBITOR (PL 7)
The inertial inhibitor generates a thin magnetic field that radiates out from the robot, slowing the velocity of potentially damaging weapons and projectiles. The robot gains damage reduction 5/energy (the inertial inhibitor does not protect against attacks that deal acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic/concussion damage). The inertial inhibitor feeds on of the robot’s internal power source.
Purchase DC: 29.
Restriction: Military (+3).

NERVE WEB (PL 8)
The nerve web is an advanced sensor array that simulates the function of an organic nervous system. This sensor system includes a full-spectrum eye with darkvision (out to 180 feet), a full-frequency ear, a sophisticated olfactory sensor, tactile and gustatory sensors, and multiband radar.
A robot with a Class IX sensor system gains the scent ability. It also gains a +4 equipment bonus on Demolitions, Disable Device, Forgery, Listen, Repair, Search, and Spot checks. All other skill checks are made without penalty. The robot also gains a +3 equipment bonus on initiative checks.
Type: Audio, Gustatory, Olfactory, Tactile, Visual.
Purchase DC: 28.

TASK HAND (PL 7)
Task hands function just like advanced hands, except that they are equipped with additional joints and often with additional or telescoping digits, enabling them to multitask, as well as to spread the robot’s grip strength over a slightly wider area.
A robot with a task hand gains a +1 equipment bonus on Climb, Craft, Demolitions, Disable Device, Drive, Escape Artist, Forgery, Pilot, Repair, Search, Sleight of Hand, and Treat Injury checks. This bonus improves to +2 if the robot has two or more task hands. At the GM’s discretion, the robot can gain this bonus when attempting certain Perform checks as well.
Damage: Nonlethal bludgeoning only.
Purchase DC: 10 + one-quarter the base purchase DC of the robot’s frame.

MEGATANIUM ARMOR (PL 8)
Sandwiched layers of crystal carbon and neovulcanium held in a magnetic matrix, megatanium represents the apex of robot armor. It is exceedingly hard and durable. Bioreplica robots and liquid-state robots cannot have integrated megatanium armor.
Equipment Bonus: +10.
Weight: One-quarter the weight of the robot’s frame (rounded down).
Speed Penalty: –5 feet.
Purchase DC: 10 + one-half the base purchase DC of the robot’s frame.
Restriction: Licensed (+1).

LANGUAGE CHIP (PL 6)
This chip allows the robot the read, write, and speak one language as though it has the appropriate Read/Write Language and Speak Language skills.
Purchase DC: 12.

SKILL NET (PL 7)
A skill net consists of a series of interlocking programs that allow the robot to acquire ranks in multiple skills. The number of ranks in any given skill cannot exceed the programmer’s ranks in the skill being emulated. A factory-built skill net typically holds 4, 8, or 12 ranks in as many as four different skills. A robot can have multiple skill nets. Skill nets allow a robot to benefit from skill synergy.
A skill net can be reprogrammed one skill at a time. Replacing one skill with another or increasing the number of ranks of an already existing skill requires 1 hour of work and a successful Computer Use check (DC 20 + number of skill ranks emulated by the software).
Purchase DC: 18 (four skills at 4 ranks each), 21 (four skills at 8 ranks each), or 23 (four skills at 12 ranks each).

FEAT NET (PL 7)
A feat net consists of a series of interlocking programs that allow the robot to emulate multiple feats. A feat net holds as many as four feats.
A robot can have multiple feat nets, but the total number of feats a robot can have installed cannot exceed 1 + one-third the robot’s Hit Dice (rounded down).
The biggest advantage of the feat net over the feat progit is that you only make one Wealth check to purchase a feat net, whereas buying individual feat progits requires separate Wealth checks. A feat net can be reprogrammed one feat at a time. Replacing one feat with another requires 12 hours of work and a successful Computer Use check (DC 30).
Purchase DC: 15 (one feat), 17 (two feats), 19 (three feats), 20 (four feats).

STRENGTH UPGRADE (PL 5)
Parts of the robot’s frame, including its joints and hydraulic components, are reinforced or replaced with similar components made of stronger materials. The upgrade provides a +2 bonus to Strength.
Purchase DC: 5 + one-half the base purchase DC of the robot’s frame + robot’s Strength modifier before the upgrade.

DEXTERITY UPGRADE (PL 6)
The robot receives replacement joints or ligaments that are more flexible, and the robot’s tactile sensors are modified to improve manual dexterity. The upgrade provides a +2 bonus to Dexterity.
Purchase DC: 5 + one-half the base purchase DC of the robot’s frame + robot’s Dexterity modifier before the upgrade.

INTELLIGENCE UPGRADE (PL 6)
Modifications to the robot’s artificial intelligence allow it to think more creatively. The upgrade provides a +2 bonus to Intelligence.
Purchase DC: 10 + one-half the base purchase DC of the robot’s frame + robot’s Intelligence modifier before the upgrade.

AV TRANSMITTER (PL 5)
A remote audio-visual unit consists of a video camera and microphone connected to the robot’s visual and audio sensors, with a transmitter to send the information to a computer or a remote control unit (see Remote Control Unit, below). The AV transmitter includes a transmitter with an effective range of 1,000 feet. This unit does not allow a remote operator to control the robot (but see Robolink, below). It merely allows the operator to see and hear what the robot sees and hears.
Purchase DC: 16.
Restriction: None.

FIRE EXTINGUISHER (PL 5)
This unit, available only to Small or larger robots, ejects enough extinguishing chemicals during a move action to put out a fire in a 10- foot-by-10-foot square. A robot’s extinguisher tank holds a number of shots of chemical spray based on the robot’s frame size: Small 2, Medium-size 4, Large 8, Huge 16, Gargantuan 32, Colossal 64.
Purchase DC: 5 + one-quarter the base purchase DC of the robot’s frame.

INTEGRATED CELL PHONE (PL 5)
An integrated cell phone enables the robot to make and receive telephone calls without resorting to the use of its manipulators (which may not be delicate enough to operate a standard cell phone, in any case).
Purchase DC: 11.

VOCALIZER (PL 5)
This unit enables a robot to speak any language it knows. It must have the appropriate Speak Language skill, either acquired through class levels (for heroic robots) or skill software (for nonheroic robots).
Purchase DC: 10.

MAGNETIC FEET (PL 6)
The robot comes with electromagnetic grippers that allow it to cling to ferrous surfaces, including iron and steel. The robot using its magnetic feet gains a climb speed of 20 feet and need not make Climb checks to scale ferrous surfaces.
Purchase DC: 12.

[/sblock]

If you approve or set new CRs I'll consider my character finished.

Last edited:

Remove ads