D&D 5E Eternal See Invisible

discosoc

First Post
See Invisible is a ritual spell, and lasts for an hour. Is there anything preventing a wizard from spending 10 minutes every hour of adventuring casting this spell over and over, "just in case"? Would there be any drawbacks to doing this, other than "wasting" a fair amount of time?

Just wondering if any other tables have been dealing with wizards who can see invisible most/all of the time.

It's a problem with all rituals in 5e, although that spells isn't one. Without a meaningful drawback or opportunity cost for time spent doing things, rituals simply trivialize various mechanics.

thethain

First Post
It's a problem with all rituals in 5e, although that spells isn't one. Without a meaningful drawback or opportunity cost for time spent doing things, rituals simply trivialize various mechanics.

90% of rituals are non-combat minor utility things. And 10 minutes is a meaningful drawback, its 1/6 of a short rest. If you have unlimited time to complete your objectives then most objectives become trivial.

If you're wandering around a long-abandoned tomb then a ritual to look over a glyph-encrusted doorway with Detect Magic and other helpful ritual spells isn't so bad. If you're exploring a living dungeon that houses significant threats then taking ten minutes to cast a spell in the middle of hallway or commonly-used area is not a good thing.

Staccat0

First Post
In my game breaking down a door, smashing a chest, or taking a rest triggers me rolling on the random encounters table. Long rest means I roll with "advantage" and take the worse encounter.

Next campaign I am adding rituals to the list of things that do so.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
In my game breaking down a door, smashing a chest, or taking a rest triggers me rolling on the random encounters table. Long rest means I roll with "advantage" and take the worse encounter.

Just out of curiosity, does this roll indicate attracting creatures/monsters that are actually there, or does the roll indicate extra creatures/monsters on top of those you've already planned for in that location?

merwins

Explorer
The fact that See Invisibility is not ritual spell solves the problem.

And beyond that, it is not a matter of benefit or convenience, but of CONSEQUENCE.

Per the spell description, "...you see invisible creatures and objects as if they were visible." This means you cannot distinguish a visible creature from an invisible one.

It matters, because people may see you walk around or otherwise react to things that they can't see. Can you imagine doing the "pardon me" dance with an invisible creature on a moderately busy street? Trying to start a conversation with something that can't afford to talk back and reveal itself? Peering intently into clearly visible areas to track an invisible creature trying to hide?

Most people with those behaviors would be considered insane. Or worse, they *attract* those nefarious creatures, making them appear out of nowhere to cause mayhem.

Fanaelialae

Legend

Seems like an obvious one to me, right up there with walking through the dungeon banging two pans together.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In a previous campaign I gave out a mirror-bladed dagger that you could see the invisible in at any time. Of course, that meant you needed to be carrying around an unsheathed weapon and keep moving it around to reflect all around you, a narrow band at a time. I love double edged gifts. (Okay, pun intended, I'm like that.)

Remove ads