D&D 5E Eternal See Invisible

Henry

Autoexreginated
In my game breaking down a door, smashing a chest, or taking a rest triggers me rolling on the random encounters table. Long rest means I roll with "advantage" and take the worse encounter.

Next campaign I am adding rituals to the list of things that do so.

Great point. It's a good way to emphasize to the players the wisdom of thinking of the environment, and of weighing consequences -- as long as one of the possible results is "no encounter."

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
During my Tiamat campaign, I tried to kill our Wizard (in one of the Cult's assassination attempts). He took enough damage to become bloodied; on his turn he spelled himself invisible and ran.
Only one member of the assassin squad survived - but he had a clear view of the room where most of the fighting happened.

During the following week, I found something useful in the Magic Item list: a Lantern of Revealing. Light the wick get the benefits of See Invisibility within the radius of its light.
The next assassin squad, knowing he is able to turn himself invisible, will be properly equipped. :devil:

Henry

Autoexreginated
During the following week, I found something useful in the Magic Item list: a Lantern of Revealing. Light the wick get the benefits of See Invisibility within the radius of its light.
The next assassin squad, knowing he is able to turn himself invisible, will be properly equipped. :devil:

That's good tactics, and excellent DM work. The enemies did not have an auto-counter to a new trick, but the enemies escaped with knowledge, and when they show up again, they will be able to counter the same trick. All good in my book.

I'm not sure it's proper to just give NPC's magic items to counter PC abilities just because it would be convenient for them to have it. Is the game the type that has magic shops around for people to just go get magic items? It would make more sense to me for them to hire/recruit a wizard who knows See Invisibility then to just have a Lantern of Revealing accessible.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Although the see invisibility issue has been resolved (not a ritual spell!), in general the question remains (cast useful ritual X once an hour).

And well... only a completely insane person would spend 1/6 of their waking hours casting the same spell again and again *just in case* it was useful. Jebus.

ProphetSword

Explorer
Quick fix: Whenever the caster tries to spam the spell every hour, take a real 10-minute break while they do so. When the players begin to be annoyed with it, be sure to let them know that their characters are probably annoyed they have to stop every hour for 10 minutes so the caster can keep a spell up they don't need. You'll get your point across.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm not sure it's proper to just give NPC's magic items to counter PC abilities just because it would be convenient for them to have it. Is the game the type that has magic shops around for people to just go get magic items? It would make more sense to me for them to hire/recruit a wizard who knows See Invisibility then to just have a Lantern of Revealing accessible.
Are you familiar with the Hoard of the Dragon Queen / Rise of Tiamat plot? (I'm asking for information, not as a challenge.)

The BBEG who sends the assassins is not an individual but a group. "The Cult of the Dragon" is headed by magic-users who can make their own magic gear, given some time.
In the game history, they invented the draco-lich. A lantern should be easy, by comparison.
Part of my DM prep when I took over was to read as many 3e-era sourcebooks as I could find, steal ideas, and take notes. Among those notes: Old-fashioned CotD cells rewarded allies (and expendable cannon fodder who survived their first mission) with low-powered magic items.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
only a completely insane person would spend 1/6 of their waking hours casting the same spell again and again *just in case* it was useful
I could see casting and re-casting a spell I thought would be useful while my group was in the dungeon where the monsters in question stay. But I'd let it wear off after we had cleaned out the dungeon, gotten outside, and were heading home.

Quick fix: Whenever the caster tries to spam the spell every hour, take a real 10-minute break while they do so. When the players begin to be annoyed with it, be sure to let them know that their characters are probably annoyed they have to stop every hour for 10 minutes so the caster can keep a spell up they don't need. You'll get your point across.
People tend to be willing to put up with a lot of annoyances if it can keep them from getting killed.

Sent fra min Pixel via Tapatalk

Brandegoris

First Post
See Invisible is a ritual spell, and lasts for an hour. Is there anything preventing a wizard from spending 10 minutes every hour of adventuring casting this spell over and over, "just in case"? Would there be any drawbacks to doing this, other than "wasting" a fair amount of time?

Just wondering if any other tables have been dealing with wizards who can see invisible most/all of the time.

I would probably not penalize a player for being smart about it. Depending on the situation however if I felt the player was over the top about it I MIGHT roll for random encounters as he chills and casts his ritual ~ yet again! LOL

Remove ads