• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Euro 2004 Football discussion

johnsemlak

First Post
But it would be a real shame for Portugal to waste a chance of a lifetime to win the Championship.

Well, tehy're on their way to wasting a chance now. Wow, Portugal played terrible. Figo trying to do everything himself, and the whole team playing together poorly and being outhustled.

Spain-Russia 0-0, Russia playing well after a poor start, this should be good second half...

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
Well, tehy're on their way to wasting a chance now. Wow, Portugal played terrible. Figo trying to do everything himself, and the whole team playing together poorly and being outhustled.

Spain-Russia 0-0, Russia playing well after a poor start, this should be good second half...
Yeah, Portugal's performance was abysmal. But now they're enraged and will tear us to bits, because they have no other choice.
And, alas, we start with a defeat. Chances against the Portuguese and the Greeks are VERY bleak.

MonsterMash

First Post
Well not a great shock seeing Spain beat Russia. Tricky for Portugal now, unless Greece lose to Russia, and assuming Spain beat Greece they either need to beat both Russia and Spain or if they get 4 points they need to score well in the match they win.

Wonder what effect the home team going out in the first round would have on atmosphere. Actually not all that great as most of the other teams have lots of support down there.

Asmo

First Post
This will be a most interesting group to follow.. Portugal vs. Spain could be a killer, looking forward to it!!

Asmo

johnsemlak

First Post
LizardWizard said:
Yeah, Portugal's performance was abysmal. But now they're enraged and will tear us to bits, because they have no other choice.
And, alas, we start with a defeat. Chances against the Portuguese and the Greeks are VERY bleak.
Well, we'll have to see.

Logically, I'd expect the Portuguese to dominate that match, but I wouldn't put any money on it at this point.

Can't wait for the England-France game...

MonsterMash

First Post
England - France

Oh :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: 90 minutes and then thrown away in injury time. And its sunday night so I can't even get drunk now to forget. Realistically a draw would probably have been a fair result as England were better in the first half with France looking better after half time.

Abdomens

First Post
England - France

MonsterMash said:
Oh :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: 90 minutes and then thrown away in injury time. And its sunday night so I can't even get drunk now to forget. Realistically a draw would probably have been a fair result as England were better in the first half with France looking better after half time.
Well, nothing is "fair" in soccer.
I rather liked the result. I had a bet with a friend. I said 1-2, and he said 2-0. So when it was 1-0 and the english got a penalty kick, I wasn't in a good mood. But now I can mock him for some time with that incredible ending.
At least until tomorrow, were Denmark will win 2-1 over Italy (or I hope they will). :)

johnsemlak

First Post
England-France

Wow, what an incredible ending.

As close as England came to winning, I think over the full 90' France may have just slightly deserved the win. It seemed like once England had the lead they were satisfied with sitting on it, and seemed to just be withstanding wave after wave of French attacks, though they did mount a few dangerous counterattacks and Rooney was really dangerous. However, The French attackers are just too good, I think, to be allowed so much possesion in the final third of the field.

The English defence was superb for the most part, especially Sol Campbell. Their task was just too tall.

England really must recover for their next matches; the tourney is hardly over, but a result like that can stay with the players for long time.

Remove ads