• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Euro 2004 Football discussion

MonsterMash

First Post
John,

Agreed that the most important thing for England is thinking about winning the next two matches and winning well. The real disappointment for me was how long Owen was left on given how ineffective he was, if Vassel had come on earlier it might have given a few more chances.

I was impressed by King, playing in such a big game and doing well. Henry didn't look all that good, but Zidane could really stamp his mark on this tournament.

Best of luck to Denmark this afternoon and Sweden this evening.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
ENGLAND! ARGH!

Right, that's that out of the way. Seriously, I'm not going to talk about what we deserved, because I think in football you always get what you deserve - we made two horrible, horrible errors against world class players and we got punished for it. But the timing was awful. Possibly the worst end to a game I've ever seen, personally.

Now I know how Bayern Munich fans felt after Man U won the Champions League in similar fashion.

The positives are there. Lampard and Gerrard were very strong, as was the back four. Rooney was virtually unplayable, the French just couldn't handle him. The weak points were the performances of Owen and Beckham, who were both anonymous, and David James who made the easy saves look easy, and who couldn't deal with Zidane's free kick or penalty.

I think we'll win our final two games in the group and go through, but I have no idea if we'll do any better against other teams.

Looking forward to the Italy - Denmark game later, if only to see AGGEMAM's reaction.

johnsemlak

First Post
You know, I've seen/heard a number of remarks that both Thierry Henry and Micheal Owen, both established star strikers, were ineffective in that game. Could it be that they opposing defences simply concentrated on them?

Hmm, Denmark Italy started...going offline.

MonsterMash

First Post
Owen, seemed to be lacking in energy or desire much more than Henry who was being heavily marked. Seeing how the French defenders were having problems with Rooney I think Ericcson should have substituted Owen for Vassel much earlier as I thought he added a lot of energy up front.

Abdomens

First Post
0 - 0

Hmm, a draw.
Before the match, I would be glad with 0-0, but now I'm a little disapointed. :\
If we'd just got a goal in the first half, we would have won.

PS That referee should be banned. He had some very weird judgments to both teams, as if he just "had" to be the center of attention.

LizardWizard

Explorer
Denmark vs. Italy was a battle of goalkeepers. Both Sorensen and Buffon demonstrated outstanding skill and reaction and made fantastic saves. I think a draw is a fair result.
Looking forward to Scandinavian derby, Denmark vs. Sweden...

Asmo

First Post
Sweden crushes Bulgaria, 5-0 and as usual Henrik Larsson delivers.
Zlatan, Ljungberg and "Chippen" ruled, but as a team Sweden did a fantastic match. I don´t think that I´ve ever seen Sweden play any better than this.

Henke 4 life.

Asmo

AGGEMAM

First Post
Tallarn said:
Looking forward to the Italy - Denmark game later, if only to see AGGEMAM's reaction.

Considering that we were without our two most important players Graversen and Grønkjær I'm ok with a draw. Although, we did play them under the ground. Denmark did show that even without some key players they were able to outclass Italy as I expected.

Last edited:

Remove ads