• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Euro 2004 Football discussion

AGGEMAM

First Post
Morrus said:
The BBC is showing it over and over again, and no one can see anything wrong with the goal.

You mean the Portugal goal in overtime right? yeah, that was in! Definately!

All in all a good match and with the right winner. Well, a winner is basically always right, right?

Stebie9173

First Post
Why oh why do us English have to be so sporting. Only playing six men all game and then even taking off our best player! :confused:

Does anyone know which bar Beckham, Scholes/Hargreaves, Lampard and Gerrard were watching the game from?

Admittedly Lampard took his goal well, but the midfield was just not up to scratch. Portugal didn't need us to give thme the ball ALL the time. They are good enough without that.

And of course David "Calamity" James never made a save all tournament (including penalties) that I couldn't save (Yes, I am a goalkeeper, but my last monthly pay packet was probably about £100,000 shy of his, and it wasn't for playing football anyway :p )

Sorry for the rant. I won't even mention the perfectly good goal by Campbell (again). All in all the best team on the night won and I hope they go on and win it - and not in any selfish "we lost to the winners" way.

Asmo

First Post
A night like this I´m sure that there´s a higher power that punishes the defensive-minded teams and favors those who really tries to PLAY the game and not just stay home with all the team and destroy it. Portugal totally dominated this match with creative and offensive play. I´m so happy that we are going to meet Portugal in the semifinals.

Asmo

DarkMaster

First Post
Wow for once the team that deserve to win, win the penality.

Congratulation Portugal you deserved it. When will the english learn that scoring a quick goal and playing the rest of the game in your goalie box will lead you nowhere against strong team. Taught they learned from their defeat with the french, guess not. too bad for you. I think that Figo should retires. things went much better once he was subbed. But got to say that Owen goal was something.

As for the BBC not seeing that the goalie was held down, I am not surprised.

Lichtenhart

First Post
Actually, it's a matter of interpretation of the rules. I think no referee in the Premier League would have disallowed that goal.

And on another matter, I think a team is clearly superior to another when it clearly wins. Why should a team with a defense like Cole and Campbell rush mindlessly to the attack only to please the crowd? They managed to make a goal that was disallowed near the end of regular time, and another goal in extra time, hardly playing only in their goalie box. England was no Italy. Even playing so much so much as you say in the english area, the Portugal didn't do more. Cristiano Ronaldo simply couldn't pass Cole. With Rooney on the field and a little more luck with the penalties it would have been a whole different match and you would be all here cheering Beckham and co. I've seen a wonderful match between two even teams, that ended with a nearly even result. No domination on either part. Very few matches in this tournament can be defined domination, Sweden-Bulgary comes to mind. That is not what I saw tonight.

DarkMaster

First Post
I don't agree, Portugal dominated, England just sit on their lucky goal like they did with the French and they lost again. As for Beckham being the best shooter in the world(Bend it like Beckam and other BS), maybe, but not under heavy pressure that is for sure. In all international game I've seen him lately he always misses penality and free kick really not impressive. None of the English player really impressed me by their talents. Then they blame the penality area. The things is that even if it is true both team were shooting there.

Bah and I don't care I am just happy to see the Brits going home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see all the story on how they were cheated and bla bla because they cannot be beaten after all.

After seeing this game my heart is with Portugal for the final

Last edited:

DarkMaster

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
Actually, it's a matter of interpretation of the rules. I think no referee in the Premier League would have disallowed that goal.
But this is not Premier League. You are like Canadians when they go to international hockey competition, yes but in the NHL it would have been good.
I always answer :This is not the NHL

Lichtenhart

First Post
DarkMaster said:
But this is not Premier League. You are like Canadians when they go to international hockey competition, yes but in the NHL it would have been good.
I always answer :This is not the NHL
You said you weren't surprised about the comments on the BBC. I only tried to guess why they comment that way. That goal would have been disallowed in Italy too, but that was not my point. I dunno about hockey, but I'd prefer UEFA and FIFA could agree on clear rules that didn't leave much space to interpretation. Otherwise the BBC has every right to complain.
DarkMaster said:
Bah and I don't care I am just happy to see the Brits going home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I like this kind of honest statements, but they don't make up for objectiveness in judging a game.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's not an interpretation issue for me, it's a factual issue - I've seen the replay loads of times from various angles in slow motion, and I see no push.

But still, I do agree that Portugal played better, as a whole. I'd have loved to see England go through to the semi-finals, but it wasn't meant to be - I honestly thought we had a shot at the championship. I'll have to wait for the World Cup in a couple of years, now! :)

Lichtenhart

First Post
Morrus said:
It's not an interpretation issue for me, it's a factual issue - I've seen the replay loads of times from various angles in slow motion, and I see no push.
It's not a push. Terry puts his arm on Ricardo's shoulder and he can't jump to take the ball.

Remove ads