• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Euro 2004 Football discussion

OakwoodDM

First Post
DarkMaster said:
Does anyone knows why the Golden goal rule was removed. I would have prefer to see Portugal win with a golden goal then on the penality shootout.

I imagine it was felt that it was too harsh. Either that or it did the opposite of the intention when it was introduced. It was introduced to give incentive to push forward in search of the goal that would finish the game early, but it may have ended up that teams got scared of conceding and hunkered down for penalties. They do have the silver goal rule in place, though. If someone is leading at half time of extra time, the game ends.

DarkMaster

First Post
OakwoodDM said:
Tough but fair? Did you see him give a free kick against Rooney for being stood on? or Vassell every time he got near the ball? There was no way that performance could be described as fair by anyone other than a Portugal supporter (or an England hater). I just re-read this bit and thought I should point out I'm not accusing you of anything, just having watched the match, can't understand how you felt his decisions were fair.
I don't agree, I felt that the Portugese were also denied important free kick an even maybe a penalty.

Stebie9173

First Post
Penalty spot

They didn't use the other end because, supposedly, it was just as bad. The England team had trained taking penalties at that end the previous day and had, or hadn't depending on who you listen to, lodged a complaint about it/them to UEFA.

Which does reduce Beckham's argument for the defence a bit.

According to Michael Owen's post match interview the pitch is sand based which makes the surface "like a thin crust on a soggy rice pudding" (What film is that a quote from?!). When Beckham (and others) kicked the ball the whole surface of the pitch moved under his feet and in Beckham's case the ball slid to the right as if on a tray... :\

Having seen the earlier disallowed goal decision again today, I still cannot see anything other than 2 English players jumping for the ball. It is the goalkeepers job to outjump them. If he can't then he shouldn't be getting a free kick. They made NO attempt to foul him...

The referee of course will welcome your views at www.ursmeier.ch/referee :p

Stebie9173

First Post
Silver and Golden Goal

After one or two controversal golden goals it may have been that FIFA felt that a team could be robbed of victory by a poor refereeing decision. :]

It's a good job that wont happen again! ;)

Asmo

First Post
After 45 minutes Greece-France is still 0-0, and Greece is the better team in my opinion. The other half should be interesting, can France make a comeback and show us that they can play footboll?
Or can Greece perhaps score in the second half and put some pressure on the French team?
Another match ending with penalities? Not impossible if the French team doesn´t wake up in the second half.

Asmo

Stebie9173

First Post
France 0 Greece 1

Suddenly defeat (of the English) doesn't hurt so much :)

Now I don't mind who wins the tournament. Although, I have to say I'm still undecided on the Dutch. Great people, shame about the team. It seems like Kluivert, Van Nistlerooy, Davids, et al are on a personal crusade to make me dislike the Dutch, despite myself :confused:

AGGEMAM

First Post
OakwoodDM said:
Well, at least England aren't the only ones to have seen their last action of the tournament last night. Once UEFA watches that match, the ref'll be on his way home.

I think not. Urs Meier was fantastically unbiased, a great game on his part. It is you who's biased.

I would love to have him ref' the final.

Besides IIRC it wasn't a free kick he judged, it was offside on both Terry and Campell.

Last edited:

Stebie9173

First Post
Offside?

The linesman had given the goal. It was the referee that disallowed the goal and he is on camera miming a push to the England players and he even says it was a push at the time. My lip-reading skill is not that high but it's good enough for that.

My vote is Nielsen for the final! :]

Remove ads