• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Euro 2004 Football discussion

OakwoodDM

First Post
Lichtenhart said:
My vote is for Collina. It's becoming like a consolation prize for us italians. :)

I truly wish him to get it too, as he is the undisputed best international ref. However (and take into consideration this is at least third hand knowledge) I have been told that he has been given one of the semi finals and so would be ineligible for the final. THat is a real shame, as this will be his last major international tournament, since FIFA rules force him to retire (I think) at the end of next season.
The up side to this, however, to watchers of Premiership football, is that he may end up reffing here, since the English FA forces retirement 2 years after FIFA.

OakwoodDM

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
I think not. Urs Meier was fantastically unbiased, a great game on his part. It is you who's biased.

I would love to have him ref' the final.

Besides IIRC it wasn't a free kick he judged, it was offside on both Terry and Campell.

I'm perfectly happy to admit I'm biased. However, no-one can tell me that Meier was unbiased and competent. The man gave a free kick against Wayne Rooney for having his foot stepped on (I'm not saying it should have gone the other way, I'm saying there was no foul), and Darius Vassell couldn't get near the ball without the ref making up an excuse to give a free kick.

If I were you, I wouldn't be hoping for him in the final. If Denmark face Portugal and he's there, I fully expect him to bottle it again.

Asmo

First Post
Tonight we have Sweden (yay!) vs Netherlands. If Greece could surprise France I can´t see why we couldn´t. If Larsson, Zlatan och Ljungberg and most importantly Isaksson plays at their very best we actually might win.
I´m a little bit afraid of our right wing where we have a big problem with Nilsson. It would feel much better if Lucic is on tonight.
I´m sure that it will be an open game with a lot of goals.

Asmo

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
I'm still stunned by that France loss yesterday. Totally deserved though, the french team really didn't seem to take the match seriously.

Some would say that all the traditional heavyweight European football nations are out now--England, France, Spain, Italy, and Germany.

Asmo

First Post
This is one of the worst moments of my life. Oh how I hate penalities.
I feel totaly crushed, I can´t belive it.
So close and so far away.

Asmo

Stebie9173

First Post
Congratulations, Asmo. You are now an honorary Englishman ;)

Although, I do believe the Dutch have lost out 4 times before in penalty shootouts, too. So you can be an honorary Dutchman if you want :D

NewbyDM

First Post
i CAN'T believe it, 'we' actually won a penalty shootout :) EVEN hit 5 of 6 penalties!!! :) man, im soooooo happy. after 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2000 this is a relief! 'We' actually won.....with PENALTIES! :D

johnsemlak

First Post
Wow, what a match.

Van der Sar is definitely the 'keeper of the tourney for me. Between that match and the saves he had against the Czech Rep (albeit for a losing cause), he's been a tremondous force.

I'm really looking forward to Czech Rep - Portugal...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads