• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

European Gamer Poll

European Gamer poll - what country in Europe are you from?

• I am not from Europe

Votes: 35 18.2%
  • Greenland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iceland

• Norway

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Sweden

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • Finland

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Denmark

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Denmark (The Faeroe Islands)

• Eire (Ireland)

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • The United Kingdom (England)

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • The United Kingdom (Wales)

• The United Kingdom (Scotland)

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • The United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • France

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Portugal

• Andorra

• Belgium

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • The Netherlands (Holland)

Votes: 24 12.5%
  • Luxumberg

• Germany

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Switzerland

• Lichtenstein

• Italy

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • San Marcos

• Austria

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • The Czech Republic

• Slovakia

• Hungary

• Romania

• Bulgaria

• Slovenia

• Croatia

• Bosnia/Herzegovina

• Serbia

• Macedonia

• Montenegro

• Albania

• Greece

• Turkey

• Estonia

• Latvia

• Lithuania

• Belarus

• Ukraine

• Moldova

• Russia

• Georgia

• Armenia

• Azerbaijian

• France (Corsica)

• Italy (Sardinia)

• Italy (Sicily)

• The United Kingdom (Gibrator)

• France (Monaco)

• Greece (Crete)

• Cyprus

• Malta

• Portugal (The Azore Islands)

warpmind

First Post
dani_gp said:

Soc del Penedès !

Estic per ENWorld des de que era una web dedicada a publicar rumors sobre la 3ª Edició de D&D, deu fer uns 3 anys... però no participo massa en els forums.

Salut !

Jo de BCN. Doncs a veure si em passes el teu mail. Jo duc uns quants anys jugant a dungeons. De fet jugo a rol des dels 11 anys. Els meus col.legues estàn viciadíssims a la 3ª edició. Envia'm algo al correu meu i m'expliques más coses.
jdelapuente27@hotmail.com

blaster219

Explorer
Re: Re: GB Counties

I just copied and and pasted from a website that said it listed them all.

Sometimes my knowledge of US geography is better than my knowledge of my own country. Damn Project Subliminal Assimilation!

ninthcouncil said:

Ah, you old stick-in-the-mud. Some of these counties haven't existed since the local government reorganisations of the 1970's, and many of the others have had border changes. Greenwich and Bromley , for instance, aren't in Kent anymore, but in Greater London. Rutland has ceased to exist, and in fact a third of it is now underwater (that's a reservoir, not catastrophic coastal erosion! - it was a VERY small county).

ninthcouncil

First Post
Re: Re: Re: GB Counties

blaster219 said:
I just copied and and pasted from a website that said it listed them all.

I thought you might be using an old encycopaedia :)

[political nerd mode on]
The 1974 reorganisation did away with a lot of the smaller counties in favour of larger administrative units; Scotland and Wales changed completely. This wasn't universally popular and a lot of people still hanker after old counties such as Rutland which were swallowed up in larger units. Greater London in particular absorbed a lot of bits and pieces from surrounding counties (like Greenwich and Bromley from Kent, as I mentioned), including the
entirety of Middlesex; though the Post Office still recognise it as part of an address, it has no government apparatus.

Things got more complicated again a few years back (1998?) when some areas were created which merged the responsibilities of county and district governments - these so-called "unitary authorities" were generally urban chunks out of larger counties (such as the Medway Towns in Kent). Also, under Mrs. Thatcher, and almost entirely for partisan political reasons, Greater London ceased to exist as a government entity and was broken up into its constituent boroughs (though it now has a mayor with overall authority in certain specific areas, such as transport and policing - and, guess what, it's the same guy who was in charge of Greater London when Maggie evicted him). Yes, that's right, the largest city in Britain had no central authority...
[political nerd mode off]

Anyway, if you want to indulge nostalgia over the dead counties, or confuse yourself with the current wacky system, here are a couple of links.

Old Counties (pre 1974) -
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~jimella/countmap.htm

New -
http://www.abcounties.co.uk/newgaz/map2.htm

(Corrected links!)

Last edited:

FriendlyFiend

Explorer
Re: Re: GB Counties

ninthcouncil said:

Ah, you old stick-in-the-mud. Some of these counties haven't existed since the local government reorganisations of the 1970's, and many of the others have had border changes. Greenwich and Bromley , for instance, aren't in Kent anymore, but in Greater London. Rutland has ceased to exist, and in fact a third of it is now underwater (that's a reservoir, not catastrophic coastal erosion! - it was a VERY small county).

Ah but Rutland's back since the last local council re-organisation (why they can't make their minds up is anyone's guess).

ninthcouncil

First Post
Re: Re: Re: GB Counties

FriendlyFiend said:

Ah but Rutland's back since the last local council re-organisation (why they can't make their minds up is anyone's guess).
So it is - it's one of them new-fangled unitary districts.

Is there any other country in the world that likes to mess around with its internal borders as much as Britain?

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Edena_of_Neith said:
:snip:
I know that in Germany, German is spoken differently from Lander to Lander (province to province.) I doubt Bavaria considers itself like unto Essen in the north...

Yap, absolutely. I was born in a city near Essen, and learned the dialect (Ruhrdeutsch) of that region. When I was in southern Germany in Baden-Württemberg, I had some troubles to understand their dialect there, same was for Bavaria. My father speaks sometimes Plattdeutsch with his brother (it sounds like some mixture of dutch and german), but that dialect is rarely used. Hope it does not become extinct...
BTW, it is quite common that there are slight differences in one dialect when you go from one village to an adjacent one.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
For those in the London, England Area, I say ... remember your history with pride!

We do, here in the United States of America.
Just ask anyone raised in Texas.
Or ask anyone raised in New England.
Or ask anyone raised in the South.
Ask anyone raised in California.
Or ask anyone, raised anywhere in our country.

As for changes, you should see the proposed changes some people have wanted to put on the ballot here:

To break California up into three states.
To break Texas up into five states.
To remove the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma Panhandle, part of Kansas, and part of Colorado, and make it a new state.
To break Michigan up into two states.
Those are just the ones I know of.
Of course, if such measures were taken, politics would demand other compensatory measures be taken in other states (that is, more states would be broken up or new states created from bits of other states.)

Locally, they proposed breaking up the county I live in, into 3 counties plus one independent city!
The measure never got on the ballot, though.

So yeah, here in America they are always trying to rearrange things.
The biggest rearrangements occur when the cities grow and expand into neighboring municipalities.

For example, the Statistical Metropolitan New York Area now includes:
All of long island.
All of New York State below the city of Newburgh.
A part of the state of Connecticut.
Most of the state of New Jersey.
A small part of the state of Pennsylvania.

And at the rate New York City is growing, southeastern lower Michigan will be a part of it's Stastical Metropolitan Area in about 200 years.
By European standards, 200 years is not a long time.

Gez

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
the French provinces of Lorraine and Alsaac (sorry if that's the wrong spelling)

Alsace and Lorraine.

You may have -ac names in France (like Bergerac), but not -aac.

Remove ads