Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

VanderLegion

First Post
Tyris pulls a piece of paper from under his cloak and scrawls a word on it. He pushes the paper across the table to the barmaid as she passes.

She picks up the note and reads it. "Tyris, is it?", she asks, loud enough for the others around to hear. He nods. "Not much of a talker are you?", she says. He shakes his head. "Well, we get all types in here, I'll bring around your drink."

OOC: If the no talking thing turns out to be an issue, I can adjust the character and remove that, just make him talk sparingly. This is my first time doing PbP, so I don't know if having a character that doesn't talk will be feasible or not.

johnmeier1

Explorer
A short man with a slim build enters the Tavern. He wears many layers of camouflaging robes, concealing most of his body and a wide brimmed hat that shades his face. Where it is visible his skin is very pale white and his eyes are pale yellow. He carries an ornate staff of runes in metal in rusted-metal gauntlets. He has a simple staff and pack on his back, and a few daggers on his belt. Attached to his robes is a faintly glowing brooch and peeking out from his sleeves are finely wrought bracers.

[sblock=Insight 25 (23 for Kingdom of Jade)] Raijin uses white makeup to cover his purple skin, which has designs etched in silver all over his body. He is from the Kingdom of Jade and a Stormsoul Genasi. [/sblock]

He pauses, seeming to wait for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. Raijin... he begins but stops speaking suddenly as his gaze falls on Noriaki. After a few moments, he strides over to the table and addresses the seated human.

Greetings traveler, you seem to have come a far distance. May I share your table?

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki looks up at the newcomer, giving a slight, yet charming smile. It was good to see someone with decent manners among this lot, even if he was likely a commoner. "Good day to you, Raijin, was it? I am Noriaki Matsumoto, third son of the House of Storms, sword prodigy trained by Master Hachi Danmyou." Noriaki felt, not for the first or even the dozenth time, that he really needed to advance his sword training to the point where he could start calling himself a Master, instead of merely a prodigy. "Of course you may share table with me." He gestures gracefully to the seat across from him.

OOC: Not rolling Insight. Noriaki couldn't hit a 23 with a natural 20.

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone!

Dekana

Explorer
A young bespectacled man enters the tavern next. A look of great relief washes over his face as he takes the first step inside.

"Aah, to be back in civilized lands!" The blonde man looks around the room before continuing. "I must be the first to return. Well, let it be known that Lenard and his fellow soldiers were successful in the drive against the hobgoblins! Daunton prospers by their deaths, no doubt." He sounds rather sarcastic about that last part.

Lenard notices the thickly robed man and the katana-wielding "sword prodigy" striking up a conversation. He walks over to their table.
"Perhaps you will allow me to join as well? The birds and beasts did not provide much company during these last few days on the road."

OOC: Lenard speaks in yellow as well, but he won't be here too long.

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki gestures lightly another empty seat at the table, giving Lenard a soft smile, noting the man's relatively refined dress. "But of course. Let it not be said that a son of the House of Storms denied a weary traveler the comfort of civilized company. You spoke of being a soldier, yet bear no weapon. Are you skilled in the Arts?"

BenBrown

First Post
The woman with the flute and drum sidles up to the table where Raijin and Noriaki are sitting and bows deeply, then addresses them in their own language.

"Hú Lí is here, ready to entertain!" she says, tapping twice on her drum. "I greet my countrymen at such a perilous distance from our homeland. Shall I play you old songs sung by generations to cheer you as you speak? Shall I tell stories both joyful and melancholy to remind you of the land you have left behind? Shall one of you buy a girl a drink?"

Dekana

Explorer
Lenard takes the seat and nods in appreciation.
"Indeed I am. I specialize in enchantments and the occasional fire spells. Combat with a blade - " he motions to the katana " - does not suit me well. Or rather, any combat at all. I must have been insane to go looking for it this last time."

johnmeier1

Explorer
Raijin responds to Noriaki briefly and politely House Matsumoto? Then once I could have called you cousin. Then he assumes a slightly sullen silence.

He comes out of this when Lenard joins them at the table. Welcome back to "civilized lands" and my congratulations on your defeat of those fiends. I myself returned from savage lands with abyssal threats... finally sealed away.

When Hu Li joins them as well, Raijin raises the brim of his hat to arch an eyebrow at her. He returns in Allarian. I would not prefer a song, for some memories are meant to be forgotten. As for a drink, there is likely little to your taste here.

twilsemail

First Post
The door to the Hanged Man cracks open by about six inches before a torrent of piskies and grigs flow into the establishment. The diminutive creatures flow around the bar and investigate everything they can see, asking a multitude of questions in high pitched voices. Whatever the individuals may be asking is lost in a buzzingly annoying din.

Following after them is a slightly larger Piskie, perhaps two feet tall. He strides in, proud as you please, and takes a choice seat by the fire. Pulling the chair out is only a bit of an effort and he doesn’t even make an effort at moving it back in. Epaulettes on his shoulders mark him as an officer to any who might notice. As their captain settles in, the pixies regroup on the table.

A rather confused looking serving girl approaches the table. She asks hesitantly, “May I… ah… help you with anything?”

“My dear,I am Captain Dartmoor. These are my men, the Dartmoor Irregulars. I shall have a bowl of your finest Ale and a roast of… whatever people eat here.” The Captain’s voice is closer to an acceptable tone than those of his men.

The server blinks for a moment, attempting to sort the whole scene out. Shaking her head to clear it, she asks, “Ye mean a pint, right?”

“Beautiful lady, I asked for a bowl and it is what I meant. My men and I are parched and would dearly like a drink. It has been a long journey.” She nods, dumbfounded, and leaves the table. At the promise of food, the chaos lowers from a rolling boil to just a simmer and general conversation becomes possible again.

OOC: This is my new PC, The Dartmoor Irregulars. Looking forward to playing them here.

Last edited:

rb780nm

First Post
"Perhaps I am no longer the strangest one here," the alien looking 'kreen says, before clattering its mandibles in an approximation of speech.

"Welcome to the Hanged Hobgoblin, good captain."[/COLOR

Remove ads