• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

FlervaFlerv

First Post
Flervin takes note of his surroundings, but does little else to draw attention to himself. He simply and politely listens to the stories being shared around him.

Last edited:

FlervaFlerv

First Post
Lilli listens to the Dwarf speak and the cogs whirr, "Oh, you're from the Valley of Bone! How interesting! I've seen a sample of your Magari heiroglyphs, but haven't yet had the time to crack them," she says in her more 'classical' Dwarven.

"All," she announces to the room in Allarian, "This is Flervin, a Druid and indeed a stranger to this city, of which he has been most complimentary."

She bows to the dwarf.

After a hot meal and some time to shake off the weary effects of a long journey, Flervin pips upright and realizes the misunderstanding he had made earlier with Lilli.

He grabs his plate and flagon, and makes for the bar to return and get a refill. Seeing Lilli:

"I am terribly sorry for the misunderstanding on my part from earlier, Lilli. For having been tired from a long journey, I fear my interpretation of 'hieroglyph' was incorrect. You were speaking of our alphabet, of which I would be happy to show and explain. I have often wondered about your runes as well, perhaps an exchange of knowledge?"

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli is enthusiastic, "Oh, certainly, I could draw you up a list of the more basic runes for you to start with and their meanings and uses in Allarian (which I hope you can read). I learned how to read the dwarven language through a study of a dwarven scholar's religious manuscript, Patriarch Mordinion’s Treatise on Religious Affections in the Age of the Isles, which though incredibly informative, was sometimes quite a daunting read."

Hearing the exchange between Flervin and Lilli, Malakai gives a little snort as he continues to read the passages in the cryptic and rune-heavy book before him. The Tiefling had a cursory knowledge of the arcane arts, but his was mostly a self-taught journey. He didn't "know" magic... he felt it deep within his being. Magic came naturally to him, it wasn't something he had to ponder and think over. This left him, in his current situation, quite out of sorts trying to force on himself an understanding of things that, even were they not encrypted in the myriad random patterning and scribblings of a mind that was likely not completely there, and likely left certain things out (because "anyone who knows magic, should automatically know the information that was missing"...), he wasn't likely to fully understand them. With a defeated sigh, Malakai closes his book (at least for the moment) and takes stock of the intellectual dwarf talking with Lilli.

Clearing his throat, and bringing himself mentally back to a time in his life when he actually tried to behave, Malakai turned up the diplomatic (and manipulative) charm he had trained himself to learn those many years ago on the streets.

"Flervin, right?" he began, his voice lighter than Lilli and Dina had ever heard come from the Tiefling. In fact, his voice was almost sickening in its polite tone. They may not have realized it had they not just spent the last few days with the Tiefling, but the person speaking before them just wasn't the Malakai they knew.

"You seem to be quite the intellectual student. Would you perhaps know anything about decoding manuscripts of an arcane nature? I would be so pleased if you could assist me with this tome I was given by my mentor. He never got the chance to teach me anything about it, but I would very much like to discover what knowledge lay within it. Come, sit over here and let me buy you a drink and a meal."

FlervaFlerv

First Post
Lilli is enthusiastic, "Oh, certainly, I could draw you up a list of the more basic runes for you to start with and their meanings and uses in Allarian (which I hope you can read). I learned how to read the dwarven language through a study of a dwarven scholar's religious manuscript, Patriarch Mordinion’s Treatise on Religious Affections in the Age of the Isles, which though incredibly informative, was sometimes quite a daunting read."

Attempting to conceal his excitement to learn something new, Flervin replies;
"That would be much appreciated, and I shall do the same for you, friend." Flervin pulls out a piece of parchment and a quill to begin his task when his attention is pulled away by Malakai.

"You seem to be quite the intellectual student. Would you perhaps know anything about decoding manuscripts of an arcane nature? I would be so pleased if you could assist me with this tome I was given by my mentor. He never got the chance to teach me anything about it, but I would very much like to discover what knowledge lay within it. Come, sit over here and let me buy you a drink and a meal."

With full sincerity, Flervin responds;
"Your words are kind, though I can only offer an attempt. With luck, and a bit of arcane knowledge we will hopefully get you started. If you will kindly allow me a few moments to complete my current task for our friend Lilli, then I shall be more than willing to help you in your understanding. Your offers of food and drink are much appreciated, Tiefling."

Malakai, not usually a patient one, nods calmly at the dwarf and even flashes a smile at him. "But of course. On your own good time, sir." Normally Malakai would be irritated at not immediately being placated, however, the volatile Tiefling sees a means at staring down the path of power, and meeting his father (or at least some demon that could point him in the right direction toward the ends of meeting his father). A burning light flashed in his eyes for just a moment as the dwarf turned back to his discussions with Lilli.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"There is no need to wait." Sounds the bass, jadite accented voice of Sheng, who is standing right in Malakai blind spot. He was drinking tea seconds ago, on the other side of the tavern... or wasn't he? At any rate, the jadite monk unfolds his hands from his sleeves, and continues. "Knowledge must be pursed with the most urgent haste, its intertwined nature, and the nature of time, make its unearthing a most pressing need. I happen to be expert in The Art; perhaps not as theoretically proficient, but much more than you. Perhaps I can aid you." Anyone that had adventured with Sheng Zim would have raised an eyebrow at his altruistic offering.

Malakai is slightly taken aback at Sheng's sudden appearance and offer, and the Tiefling actually flashes a real smile! Of course, Malakai wasn't exactly the best at detecting when he was being manipulated (he was far more suited to being the manipulator), and would catch it were Sheng to have an alterior motive.

"Any help you could provide would be most appreciated."

Malakai looked over at Flervin. "And that is no discounting of your skills at all, good dwarf. Knowledge can be discovered by many people in many different ways, and a different perspective is always appreciated. So I'll take you up on your offer as well...when you have the time."

Malakai wasn't entirely sure how cooperative these people would be were they to discover the contents of Dein's tome, however, as unbeknownst to Malakai, the tome contained the description and processes of ancient rituals designed to bind ones self to a being of the elemental chaos, most specifically a demon. It also describes the true names Dein was able to collect of some low-ranking demons, which could be used in the ritual to bind ones self to those specific demons. Malakai is not-so-blissfully unaware of this information, but he has a slight clue, knowing that Dein was a warlock and had some ties to the elemental chaos.

FlervaFlerv

First Post

"And that is no discounting of your skills at all, good dwarf. Knowledge can be discovered by many people in many different ways, and a different perspective is always appreciated. So I'll take you up on your offer as well...when you have the time."

Flervin sits up a bit more, and with a jovial tone in his voice.
"But of course, I am willing to offer my services to any who desire a hand. I shall continue my current task while Master Sheng has a look. Upon completion, I shall see if I can appraise any new information for you, Warlock."

Anyone privy to his actions can tell Flervin is sincere in his offer.

Remove ads