• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

LogicsFate

First Post
Halcyon nods slowly in something approaching comprehension - this answers some of his questions, at least, even if it raises new ones.

"The Forge was created many centuries ago, at the height of Allaria's glory," Halcyon says. His pleasure at being asked is obvious - this is clearly a subject dear to him. "There were many Creation Forges, once. The Kingdom's greatest champions swore an oath that was stronger than death; when they fell in battle they would be reborn from one of the forges, bodies forged anew in steel. The great Kingdom fell many years ago, but one forge still remains functional - my creator, and yours. My making was in keeping with the forge's function and history, but yours... sounds otherwise. It is strange."[/COLOR]

Are you one of these champions? Where do the new souls come from? We were told about the existence of the forge and our likelihood of having been built there by our mentor. He knew little. Queen responds, going back to mimicking minor body movements.

Antithetist

First Post
"Yes, I am," Halcyon confirms proudly. "My spirit is that of an Allarian warrior. As far as I know, there are no new souls in the functioning of the forge, only the continual rebirth of those same champions of old - that is as I was taught."

He hesitates for a moment, pensive. "Yet your existence seems to suggest otherwise."

LogicsFate

First Post
I know not Queens head swivels to take in the rest of the patrons. A visit to the forge may be in order. At a later date.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Gil stands, his head swiveling back and forth, from one construct to the next. Awe and wonder are splattered across his face, as he hastily scribbles notes in silence.

LogicsFate

First Post
Gil stands, his head swiveling back and forth, from one construct to the next. Awe and wonder are splattered across his face, as he hastily scribbles notes in silence.

Gil Queen says simply re-identifying the scholar. The WarForged leans to read the scribbled notes.

CaBaNa

First Post
Queen can see detailed sketches of parts and pieces belonging to each different construct. Notes on the differing levels of familiarity each displays toward the customs of the living. Further down the page is a short section with a list of questions about "The Forge".

Gil looks up from his notes at hearing his name, startled at the proximity of Queen. This is all fascinating! He exclaims, flipping the page and continuing to sketch Queen from the now closer vantage point.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Leonard broods on his fate while slowly eating his eggs and bacon. What a depressing way to end a commercial run; robbed by bandits. Ronen looks at Leonard with snide amusement. The woes of the unprepared are always mildly amusing, especially when you are nearly drunk.

Suddenly a Goliath enters the room boldly. What’s so bold you ask? He wears a ringleader type of top hat. That’s a bold fashion statement to add to a shining armour plate. Through his alcohol induced headache, Leonard hears the innkeeper groans ‘Not again’. His attention perks up. The Goliath is carrying a reasonable amount of magical wares. A successful adventurer... He seems to be scanning the room. Looking for partners? Leonard can’t afford to let any opportunity pass him by and his attention perks up. Ronen on the other hand is appalled at the fashion massacre expertly executed by the behemoth.

The Goliath clears his throat.

-''Good news everybody! Is Ghorgor Bay! He backs to give more opportunity to become great to you fat people. I body trainer to the adventurers. Soon you all know about how good I is and all must want train under Ghorgor. But until then, you get to fight with Ghorgor, watch how great he is, and get paid well to win cooking game.''

Leonard decide he can’t wait for the next opportunity. He needs gold NOW! And he could think of a quick way to gain approval. Quickly he empties his plate on the ground and promptly places it on his head. Soon, bacon fat soaks his forehead.

-''Hello Ghorgor. My name is Leonard. May I say, you have a great hat.''

-''Thanks! But so is you! You have great hat too.'' Says Ghorgor, delighted. ‘’Never seen hat like that. Is very rare. Must be very valuable. You nice man and dressed like sharp. And you smell nice too.'' Says Ghorgor.

-''Err... Yes, my father always said that the odour of bacon stimulates energy and determination. Because... you know... adventures ends with eating bacon so it is nice to be reminded at all time of the rewards that lie ahead.'' Leonard says with all the dignity one can musters with a hot plate on one’s head.

-''This makes sense! Father is wise man! Very wise. I need no know more. You hired!''

And that's how you do it, things Leonard smugly.

Ronen loudly choke on his ale. It’s not just for show; it’s almost fatal and the wizard violently cough his lungs out. Ghorgor turns and look at the wizard curiously. Then he helpfully slaps him on the back so hard that the ale pitcher goes flying as the wizard yelps in pain. As soon as Ghorgor’s attention is diverted, Leonard removes the plate while mumbling; ‘hot, hot, hot!’

-''Are you *cough* out of *AAARRG COUGH* your mind. How do you know that this two bit merchant is even remotely competent? He only seems gifted to be a jester.''

-''What?! You no talk about my mind. Ghorgor is Powerful Mind. Powerful body in powerful mind. Ghorgor is so tough that even dragon teeth no cut. No magic, no trick, just power of powerful mind!'' shouts the Goliath, outraged.

-''Psionic, eh? I hope for your benefit that your powers rely more on a ratio of mind and body. Because if it is a mind over body deal, you will not prosper long.'' remarks the wizard sardonically.

-''What? Wait... what ration? No talk about food. You mean! You are mean, rude man.'' stutters the Goliath.

-''Imagine how this will affect my circadian rythm.''

Ghorgor stares hard at the wizard.

-''I no like you. I really no like you. So... You hired. Pays is at least 400gp to collect rare and dangerous food ingredient and even share of loot.''
Ronen is taken aback but the gold is too good to pass up.

-''I... hum. I am facing pecuniary hardship so I accept the offer.'' He says with dignity.

-''Good. We go at fancy restaurant down street.''

The wizard nods, puzzled but pleased with the prospect of reward.

-''What the hell is that? You offered that jackass a job?'' whispers Leonard, taking Ghorgor aside.

-''First, where is hat?'' wonders the Goliath.

-''Uh... this is not a battle hat. I am preparing for battle so I removed the pl... hat. Now, why did you hire this snob?''

-''Simple.'' Ghorgor smiles. ''Five out of six of Ghorgor’s last companion died horrible death. Last were eaten by ghouls. Ghorgor really hopes Wizards get just dessert as ghoul dessert.''

-''Wait, you didn’t say it was this dangerous. Five out of Six?!''
-''No worry. Ghorgor can’t die. Ghorgor too loveable and mind too powerful. You stay near and you be fine. Now let’s go earn gold.''

The wizard follows them, carrying the bards 'hat'. He quickly cleans the plate and says with a smile to Leonard: "I'm sure we don't need to fight amongst ourselves so soon. Here, you forgot your hat. Maybe we find enchantments to make it finally battle capable..."

-''Yeah... Or I could convince my employer that hats are bad luck. Seems easier.''

OOC: That's more for kicks and for the record than anything else.

Velmont and Walking's Dad new characters are replacing their old ones in 'A chef's Request', the silliest and deadliest adventure currently running on L4W.

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
OOC: And I just made a character named Lenard! I even searched the wiki to make sure I was the only one. Boooo! At least they're different spellings, hehe.

LogicsFate

First Post
Queen watches the proceeding with evident interest before taking stock of the other occupants of the inn and settling back to more familiar conversations.

Remove ads