D&D 5E "Evil" options limited to the DMG?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
10 points to Gryffindor for [MENTION=1288]Mouseferatu[/MENTION] 's pun.

I'll tell you this - first Death priest I make in 5e is going to be a follower of Baron Samedi.

That guy knows how to party.

Well, it's as I said, there are more Neutral and Good Death Gods than Evil ones, and that's even with the blatant cheating of counting the Finnish ones* and the vague racism/xenophobia of CE Kali (not Remathilis fault) :) Regarding Death as "Evil" in a game where the PCs go around gleefully deploying spells which would count as "Weapons of Mass Destruction", and where it's very rare for an adventure to not have a body count in the double-digits seems like the worst kind of early-2E-style cultural cowardice.

That said, it's unsurprising since we're back to "Evil Clerics do Necrotic damage"-type silly business (imo) as a default. Hopefully the DMG also has optional rules to say "bollocks to that!".

* = Only Tuoni is an actual "Death god" - Tuonetar would be the goddess of the Underdark and monsters in D&D, and Surma the god of murder/death in violence.

I'm with you on this one. The DMG ought to be a player-free zone, rather than a storage area for variants. 3E was guilty of this: PrCs were introduced in the DMG, but thereafter PrCs appeared in every player supplement. What [gave]?

That said, I don't believe anyone has provided a source for the confirmation that the DMG will have some subclasses, so we have have no good reason to even think it's true.

True, nobody has linked to an actual quote. They do exist though. Posters here (including me) have seen them. I expect that most of us just aren't interested in spending the time to find the quotes. Since I believe they were in Twitter, it's also fairly difficult to find them. I do think that the word of several posters on here is "a good reason" but then again, I tend to assume honesty unless I have reason to believe otherwise.

So you can take our word for or it or not, it doesn't much matter because it's only a few months until we see the finished product.

Happy gaming!

True, nobody has linked to an actual quote. They do exist though. Posters here (including me) have seen them. I expect that most of us just aren't interested in spending the time to find the quotes. Since I believe they were in Twitter, it's also fairly difficult to find them. I do think that the word of several posters on here is "a good reason" but then again, I tend to assume honesty unless I have reason to believe otherwise.

So you can take our word for or it or not, it doesn't much matter because it's only a few months until we see the finished product.

Happy gaming!
I thank you for your post, because at least now I know I'm [-]not crazy.[/-] not just imagining that I had read this somewhere.

Last edited:

kiness

Explorer
Never had more fun than playing evil. You generally wind up as an end justifies the means type. Mafia vs. Nazis. You get to laugh off the protection from good spells, use undead as party henchmen, porters and all around meat shields. Orc zombies have no better purpose. There's always bigger baddies to fight and the good guys pay you to fight them. Until you raise your undead legions...

Remove ads