Evil vs Good: D&D Wargaming

Fieari

Explorer
Things are actually moving very quickly... since players seem to be in "manual transportation" mode on both sides....

But sure. Go ahead.

OldCrowe

First Post
Fieari said:
Things are actually moving very quickly... since players seem to be in "manual transportation" mode on both sides....

But sure. Go ahead.

Fieari, could you give us an idea of how game time is progressing when you post? 2 RT days have passed since I issued my orders, I know that they will take at least 8 hours of Game Time to bring any results, and I know that everyone else has to catch up with their actions, but some idea of how game time is progressing would make things a little less frustrating.

Thank you,

C. Rowe

Serpenteye

First Post
I'm reposting my finished army here for ease of reference, I suggest the other active players do the same, the Rogues Gallery thread is so cluttered.
My strategy is at the bottom of the post.

The Legion of Darkness

Unit Breakdown

Above Baseline Unit:
1 Shadowlord -- CR 15 -- point value 225

Support Units:
114 Toads -- CR N/A -- Point Value 0.
22 lvl1 Clerics -- CR1 -- Point Value 22.
31 lvl1 Wizards -- CR1 -- Point Value 31.
3 lvl4 Fighters -- CR4 -- Point Value 48.
55 Shadows -- CR3,5 -- Point Value 675,75 (12,25 x 55)

Lvl 1 Cleric (Human 22)
Str 8/-1, Dex 12/+1, Con 14/+2, Int 13/+1, Wis 15/+2, Cha 10/+0. (+-Racial bonuses) Unit Speed 15. AC 17. Spells (at least one of each spell in the book, in the entire unit, mostly buffing). Feats a.o. Improved Initiative.
Equipment: Chain Shirt 100 gp, Lg steel shield 20, Heavy Mace 12, minor items 10. AC 16. Cost 142gp -100 (baseline wealth) = 42gp.

Unit Equipment (divided within the unit):
Divine Scrolls:
5x Obscuring Mist (25gp)........125gp
5x Fog Cloud (150gp)............750gp
5x Sound Burst (150gp)..........750gp
5x Invisibility Purge (375gp)..1875gp
Unit cost: 4424 gp.

Lvl1 Wizards (Human 32)
Str 8/-1, Dex 12/+1, Con 14/+2, Int 15/+2, Wis 13/+1, Cha 10/+0. Unit Speed 30. AC 11. Spells (Mostly defensive) Initiative +5 (Dex+1 Improved Initiative +4). Feats: a.o. Improved Initiative.
Equipment: Minor items 20 gp. Cost 20 -100 (baseline wealth) -80 gp

Unit Equipment (divided within the unit):
Arcane Scrolls:
5x Obscuring Mist (25gp)..........125gp
5x Fog Cloud (150gp)...............750gp
3x Pyrotechnics (150 gp)..........450gp
10x Fireball (375gp)...............3750gp
2x Slow (375gp).....................750gp
3x Wall of Fire (700 gp)..........2100gp
4x Cloudkill (1125gp)..............4500gp
Wands
4x Wands of Web (4500gp)...18000gp

Unit Cost: 30425 gp

lvl4 Fighter (Human)
Str 14/+2, Dex 12/+1, Con 16/+3, Int 10/+0, Wis 13/+1, Cha 8/-1. Unit Speed 20. AC 23. HD 4d10+12 = 38,5 HP. Attack +7. Damage 1d8+3 (longsword +1). Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Cleave.
Equipment: Full Plate armour+1 2200gp, Lg steel shield+1 20gp, Longsword+1 2315gp, minor items 10. Cost 5525 gp -6400 (baseline wealth) = 885 surplus.
Unit equipment: 2x Horn of Blasting 40'000gp, Drums of Panic 30'000gp. Unit Cost 66'935gp.

Shadow.
Medium Undead (Incorporeal). Hit Dice: 3d12 (19 hp). Initiative: +4. . Speed: Fly 40 ft. (good). Unit Speed Fly 40 ft. . Armor Class: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 18, flat-footed 14. . Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-. Attack: Incorporeal touch +5 melee (1d6 Str). Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +5 melee (1d6 Str). . Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. . Special Attacks: Create spawn, strength damage. . Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., incorporeal traits, +2 turn resistance, undead traits. . Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +5. . Abilities: Str -, Dex 18/+4, Con -, Int 8/-1, Wis 15/+2, Cha 18/+4. . Skills: Hide 6*, Listen 8, Search 4, Spot 8. . Feats: Blind-Fight, Flyby Attack. . Challenge Rating: 3,5.

Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid reduced to Strength 0 by a shadow becomes a shadow under the control of its killer within 1d4 rounds.
Skills: Shadows have a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks and a +4 racial bonus on Search checks. *A shadow gains a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in areas of shadowy illumination. In brightly lit areas, it takes a -4 penalty on Hide checks.

Equipment: 0gp. Unit cost: 0 gp.

Army Cost: 101784 gp

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PC:

Shadowlord, CR 15.

HD: 10 Outsider, 2 Blackguard; 12d10+24 (96hp)

Str: 11/0(11)
Dex:12/+1(12)
Con:14/+2(12+2)
Int: 22/+6(14+8)
Wis:12/+1(10+2)
Cha:36/+13(14+16+6)

Init: +5
Speed: land 20ft, air 40ft.
Height: 8'3"
Weight: --

AC: 20 (10+1(dex)+9(Admamantine Full Plate +1 of Heavy Fortification)), DR: 3/--
BaB: 12
Attack +12
Full attack +13/+8/+3 (Masterwork Longsword)
Damage: 1d8 (Masterwork Longsword)
Fort: 27 (10+2+10+5)
Ref: 23 (7+1+10+5)
Will: 23 (7+1+10+5)
Feats: 5: Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Sunder, Spell Thematics (shadow and darkness), Improved Initiative.

Skill points: 198.
Bluff: 27 (15+10+2), Concentration: 17 (15+2), Diplomacy: 27 (15+10+2), Hide: 18 (15+1+2), Move silently: 18 (17+1+2), Intimidate: 25 (15+10), Knowledge (Religion): 21 (15+6), Kn (Arcana): 21 (17+6), Kn (History): 21 (17+6), Kn (the Planes): 21 (17+6), Listen: 16 (17+1), Sense Motive: 7 (6+1), Spot: 16 (17+1)

Languages: All (Tongues), Common, Celestial, Abyssal, Draconic, Shadow, Infernal, Terran.

Spell Like Abilities: Cl 15: Always active: Antilife Shell, Detect Thoughts, Death Ward, Death Watch, Greater Invisibility, True Seeing, Fly, Tongues.
At will: Command Undead, Dominate Person, Plane Shift, Shadow Evocation, Greater Teleport, Greater Shadow Conjuration.
1/Day: Mind Blank, Nightmare, Simulacrum, Greater Shadow Evocation, Unholy Aura.
DC: Spell level + 23.

Special Abilities: Darkvision, Telepathy, Regeneration 1/Good, Fast Healing 5, Spell resistance 25.

Blackguard Abilities:
Smite Good (Su): Once a day, a blackguard of 2nd level or higher may attempt to smite good with one normal melee attack.
He adds his Charisma modifier (if positive) to his attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per class level. If a blackguard accidentally smites a creature that is not good, the smite has no effect but it is still used up for that day.
Aura of Evil (Ex): The power of a blackguard’s aura of evil (see the detect evil spell) is equal to his class level plus his cleric level, if any.
Detect Good (Sp): At will, a blackguard can use detect good as a spell-like ability, duplicating the effect of the detect good spell.
Poison Use: Blackguards are skilled in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade.
Dark Blessing (Su): A blackguard applies his Charisma modifier (if positive) as a bonus on all saving throws.

Spells:
1: 2, Corrupt Weapon, Cause Fear.

Equipment:
Masterwork Longsword: 350 gp
Adamantine Full Plate+1 of Heavy Fortification: 53'500 gp
Cloak of Resistance +5: 25'000gp
Amulet of Charisma +6: +36'000gp
Portable Hole: 20'000gp

Regeneration (Ex): Only good aligned weapons and spells deal lethal damage to the shadowlord.
If the shadowlord loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6
minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). The creature can
reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Telepathy (Su): Shadowlords can communicate telepathically with creatures
within 100 feet that speak any language spoken by the shadowlord.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My basic plan is to leave my mortal forces (except the 3 fighters) with Crowe's and Pyrax's armies, having them use their many scrolls and wands against powerful enemy units and formations.
My Shadows will be teleported ahead by the Shadowlord (Since Shadows are incorporeal I figure they can all fit in my portable Hole) to the village of Springwell where they will scatter and attack the inhabitants. (Standard Operating Procedure: Attack from underground, Flyby-attacks and Blind-Fighting will enable them to attack the enemy and still end their rounds safely underground)

They (and their new recruits) will then move forwards in groups of five, running underground for cover but peeking up occasionally to get their bearings. They will end every round underground. When they reach the enemy army they will harry the rear ranks, making fly-by attacks passing in and out of the ground, and even use their Blind-Fighting to attack while submerged.
The Shadowlord will observe the battle from his stronghold, teleporting himself and his 3 Fighters to any trouble-spots.

(Insert flavour text here)

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Gee I can already see why Fieari went insane trying to balance this thing! Anyway awaiting the other players to post - and taking another dose of medication:p

Pyrex

First Post
Instead of reposting, I'll just link to it so I only have one post to keep up to date.

Serp, your Clr and Wiz forces are welcome to hang back with my archers, but we still need some heavy infantry to protect them. I just don't have enough wolves to do it.

In 3.5 TP isn't strictly weight limited, there's a limit to how many creatures you can carry.

Also, your general should be using his GSC every freakin' round to drop a combo of Cloudkill and Summon 6 (so many options there...).

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
Pyrex said:
Also, your general should be using his GSC every freakin' round to drop a combo of Cloudkill and Summon 6 (so many options there...).
ooc:
He's got this thing against dying... Since he's so frail I like to keep him in reserve and only involve him in combat when the enemy champions have already committed themselves.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
Between you SE and GSC there are plenty of spells you can cast from far enough away to be safe. I'm all for hanging back for a round or two (my general will be spending at least the first two rounds observing from the ethereal), but your general has too much power not to use it.

Remove ads