Evocation Druid Build Idea

cooperjer

Explorer
A new AL story will be starting soon. I would like to play a land druid because I never see it played or read about optimization for the sub-class. My current thought is to start with druid 2, then evocation wizard 2. I would move back to druid until probably level 15 when the story should end. I don't have a specific design direction for the character, but I noticed Fairy Fire and several other druid spells are evocation. The thought is to use control or debuff spells with shape spell to keep the debuff off of my team members. What other spells would work well with this build? Is there a different wizard sub-class that would also work well with a land druid?

I would look at the cleric domains to see if you can get a similar effect to what you are trying to do. If you want to cast any of the wizard spells, you will need to invest in Intelligence which may make your build MAD. If you go with a cleric multiclass, it uses the same attributes so no MAD. You will loose spell sculpting but much of the druid's power is in controlling the terrain and the enemy. Even if you sculpt the spells around your party members, they may still be stuck in the middle of the terrain effects. I took part in a 3.5 campaign where we had a druid that used flame strike as his main attack spell. Our solution was for the party members to wear Rings of Fire Resistance and let him cut loose. The rings absorbed most of the damage if we were caught in the effect.

Some of the Druid spell combinations are fun. Cast "spike growth" and then yoyo the enemy back and forth using "Thorn Whip" and "Thunderwave". Each 10 foot movement through the spike growth area of effect does 4D4 damage plus the effect of the Thorn Whip or Thunderwave.

cooperjer

Explorer
[MENTION=6872087]paulclarksaintjohn[/MENTION] I'm not sure this is a MAD build. The 13 Int requirement to multiclass into wizard is potentially helpful. I believe the nature skill would benefit from the int' bonus. My dump stat would be either strength or charisma. I would ensure a +2 dex' with a 14 or us a lower value depending on the race. I would set wisdom as the high value (15) and put a +1 in it from the race bonus. This leaves a 12 for con'. Strength and charisma get the 8 and 10 in any order.

In this particular case I wanted to try out the water genasi which gets a +2 con' and a +1 wisdom. The two levels of wizard and a 13 int' should prevent a player from choosing spells that require a spell attack or save. Shield is one spell that would work well.

Battlefield control is focused on saves by the NPCs. Because of that a 16 wisdom would be needed. Spell attacks from the druid list would use the same stat. So both control and offensive capabilities would not be hampered.

Am I seeing the utility of the build in a manner that makes it appear greater than I should?

Remove ads