• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excel party xp calculator for 3.5e!

Davin

First Post
morpheous1777 said:
Here is the chart I use :
I'm sorry I didn't mention you. I knew that you (and several other people) have spreadsheets for XP's, but I wasn't remembering who had which versions of what data.

And I agree that you could do this with a single Excel formula, but like you said - it'd be awfully complicated.

Jadinna

First Post
Davin said:
Yes, it handles everything in the 3.5 DMG + 3.0 ELH, with a spot-on match for everything (except the typo previously noted @ 5550). It handles the Level < 3 exceptions and the CR = 1 exceptions, plus divides as appropriate for CR < 1. The exceptions can be turned off, as can the 7-level-difference-limit, and it computes it either as a DMG match or with the single-formula correction. There are no upper limits on Level or CR.

What else? Oh, yeah ... if you really wanted to I think you could jam the whole thing into a single, LONG, Excel formula that can be used anywhere (or everywhere) you need it.

Is there any chance that you could either post, PM or e-mail this? I am very interested in getting my hands on this. :)

morpheous1777

First Post
Jadinna said:
Is there any chance that you could either post, PM or e-mail this? I am very interested in getting my hands on this. :)

What Programming launguage you want it in ( Excell, C, C++, VB, Java, .NET, APL, Cobal, Pascal, etc.., etc...), There are allot of programmers here at enworld (including myself), we could create a function for it in almost every laungage there is, depends on how ya want it :)

Jadinna

First Post
morpheous1777 said:
What Programming launguage you want it in ( Excell, C, C++, VB, Java, .NET, APL, Cobal, Pascal, etc.., etc...), There are allot of programmers here at enworld (including myself), we could create a function for it in almost every laungage there is, depends on how ya want it :)

OooohhhhHHhhhhh..... So many options.. Where do I start... Pascal? Hmm Nope. Cobal, Nope. .... -minutes later- .... Java, Nope. VB? Definately not. I think Excel might be the safest.. unless someone here can MUSHCode? ;)

morpheous1777

First Post
The more I atempt to create a function in excel for experience, the more I dont think it can be done properly without using excels visual basic (because in any formula i create so far, i need "looping" or recursion, unless i wanna use a million "IF" statements) and excel doesnt handle those that well.

Davin, or Planesailing, since we know how the experience chart was calculated/created, why dont we see if we could come up with that LONG excel formula, or some other way besides a huge chart for excel to use

Davin

First Post
Ok, let me give it a try. Since my APL code has options in it, let me ask how you'd like yours flavored.

1) Do you want a duplicate of the DMG+ELH charts (which uses two different patterns), or would you rather have the "corrected" version the only uses a single formula/pattern?

2) Do you want it chopped off at the +/- 7-level limit, or extended indefinitely?

3) Do you want the CR1 column maximized to 300 like the normal chart (I assume so)?

Davin

First Post
Ok, are you ready for this?

=IF(ABS(COLUMN(A1)-MAX(ROW(A1),3))>7,0,IF(AND(COLUMN(A1)=1,ROW(A1)<6),300,ROUND((300*MAX(ROW(A1),3))*(POWER(3/2,CEILING(MAX(0,COLUMN(A1)-MAX(ROW(A1),3))/2,1))*POWER(4/3,FLOOR(MAX(0,COLUMN(A1)-MAX(ROW(A1),3))/2,1)))/(POWER(3/2,CEILING(MAX(0,MAX(ROW(A1),3)-COLUMN(A1))/2,1))*POWER(4/3,FLOOR(MAX(0,MAX(ROW(A1),3)-COLUMN(A1))/2,1))),0)))

This should give you a table pretty much like what you're used to seeing, except that it's been "corrected" to use the single formula/pattern throughout. Let me know if you'd like it varied in some other way.

BTW, the ROW(A1) is used to determine the Party/Character Level and the COLUMN(A1) is used get the CR/EL. You may paste this text into cell A1 and copy it as far as you want. Or you may replace the row/column stuff above to use whatever you need for the the levels to be calculated.

Impressive enough?

morpheous1777

First Post
This should give you a table pretty much like what you're used to seeing, except that it's been "corrected" to use the single formula/pattern throughout. Let me know if you'd like it varied in some other way.

Could you make it so it goes on indefinitely ??
(I like the way you did it, my formula was similar to your formula, but what I am having a problem with is making it extend indefinitly, I prefer to give exp for CR's +/- 7 or more away from level)
(I still cant see how to make it extend indefinitly without looping/recursion/etc.., Is there a way for excel to perfrom loop's or recursion (besides VB), maybe circular refrencing, or a macro ??)

Davin

First Post
morpheous1777 said:
Could you make it so it goes on indefinitely ??
Oh, that's an inherently unlimited formula. :cool: If you'd like to remove the 7-level limitation, just take out the IF at the beginning that looks like:
IF(ABS(COLUMN(A1)-MAX(ROW(A1),3))>7,0,...)
...and it'll go as far as you want to copy it.

The only other IF is the one that limits CR=1 to 300XP max.

And it contains no looping, recursion, or outside references. It's all done with multiplication, division, and exponentiation, so you'll have to overflow numeric precision before you get out of range (e.g. a level 5 party against a CR 500 monster - oops!).

It gets about 50% longer (with an additional IF) if you want it to use the (only barely erroneous) double-pattern formula exactly as listed in the books.

(Actually, I'm pretty pleased that it came out as compactly as it did.)

Perhaps that's enough to impress you? ;)

Remove ads