Exempting Races from the +1 rule

honestly no it does not speak well of the system, it shows a lack of faith in the design of the game and intelligence of the players in Al
sure sometimes something gets made in a game that does not play well with something else, but when you spread out player info but limit its inclusion, thats a negative IMHO.
now wizard seems to be trying to fix this to a degree with xanths guide but is having to waste space with stuff from sword coast due to the limitations introduced by book +1
this will only grow worse as the game ages, lets assume the crazy possibility that wotc releases a new player book next year, then what.
will xanths 2 have to duplicate important spells invocations etc from xanth 1?
if your running in a forgotten realms setting are we goign to exclude faerun races if we want to play with xanth book 1 or 2?
that makes book + 1 the game more complex then just including non banned stuff.

Have you ever heard the old saying that, "The perfect is the enemy of the good"? How about, "Keep it simple, stupid (KISS)"? Yes, we can imagine a perfect world where learned professionals pour over well-reasoned tomes of game design and forge nigh-unbreakable crucibles of gaming ambrosia that guide us into a dimension of heretofore unimaginable role playing frontiers, where all the characters are strong, all the DMs are good-looking and all the players are above average. But the truth is you're dealing fallible human beings and an organization that is providing entertainment for a large audience of participating members; where anyone from anywhere can sit down at a table and play D&D with anyone from anywhere else and play what is a complex game in its' own right.

As for XGtE repeating earlier content for the sake of AL, I haven't heard that ever being confirmed. I would think AL would be too small a market to warrant that type of major content inclusion consideration. But I could be wrong.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Wizards doesn't really put any thought into AL when designing new content. This is proven by the fact that admins never even see the hardcovers until everyone else does. We had to wait a couple weeks when SCAG and Volo's came out to get the AL take on things. Same with adventures and how there isn't enough XP to level appropriately, plus the glut of magic items. And then there is the fight the admins had to put up against WOTC about the Death Curse for the current season. Also the fact that they're considering allowing using playtest mystic and artificer. No, AL is barely given consideration.

CapnZapp

Legend
As for XGtE repeating earlier content for the sake of AL, I haven't heard that ever being confirmed. I would think AL would be too small a market to warrant that type of major content inclusion consideration. But I could be wrong.

Wizards doesn't really put any thought into AL when designing new content.
Of course. I alway found that idea absurd.

Now, as a justification to not have to come up with original content, as a way to sell reheated old stuff twice, it unfortunately appears many gamers have swallowed this hook line and sink...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Anthraxus

Explorer
As for reskinning, it’s weird that you can have a yuan-ti that just uses the vuman stats.

Reskinning is highly DM dependent. What some will allow, others won't. Myself- I'll allow light reskinning, but not much more. Especially if it is something that goes out of the FR setting.

Remathilis

Legend
The volume of player options in pathfinder and 5e are light years apart in shear volume, so AL simply doesn't have to worry about it.
Well Pathfinder is several years older than 5e, and Paizo has a fuller production schedule than WotC (something avoided for other reasons) but the example stands: a book-by-book breakdown of what is allowed, carefully monitored to avoid power combos (a losing battle) that requires a knowledgeable GM to monitor for potential cheating. The +1 rule is there to try to stop the long lists from eventually happening.

Besides, Paizo limits access to the extra races in the Advanced Race Guide, so I guess they are just as bad as WotC regarding race/class combos...

Runny

First Post
Well Pathfinder is several years older than 5e, and Paizo has a fuller production schedule than WotC (something avoided for other reasons) but the example stands: a book-by-book breakdown of what is allowed, carefully monitored to avoid power combos (a losing battle) that requires a knowledgeable GM to monitor for potential cheating. The +1 rule is there to try to stop the long lists from eventually happening.

Besides, Paizo limits access to the extra races in the Advanced Race Guide, so I guess they are just as bad as WotC regarding race/class combos...

It seems that a rule that says any race is okay is pretty darn easy. The races just aren’t powerful to worry about limiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads