Exempting Races from the +1 rule

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I really hope that PHB+1 is not a design philosophy. If WotC comes out and says that "we only want to test the official material we charge you for against the the PHB and ignore the other sources" then that's really half-a...done and not worth purchasing additional books because then I have to do the design work of testing all of the material in the book unless I[m willing to drop all of the other expansions I bought from them.

Basically, if PHB+1 is a guiding philosophy, then I don't see the need to purchase any more expansion books since WotC is saying hey may not be balance-compatible with the expansions they have already sold me. There's plenty of other RPGs out there were expansion material is well integrated with each other where I can vote with my wallet.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
It's an AL rule, alright. The fact it originates from one part of the organization rather than another doesn't change the fact it is only within the AL the rule exists.

Perhaps you meant to say "a WotC-mandated AL rule"? View attachment 90161

Um...several times an ADMIN has told you it is a WOTC rule, not an AL rule.

You then essential said, "I'm not calling you a liar, but you're a liar" and told him to source it.

So he sourced it with a tweet.

Now you claim that doesn't count, because it's "Still AL".

Except the tweet was a Crawford tweet, and Crawford has nothing to do with AL. He's the rule and design guy. Mearls and Lindsey are the AL guys, and Mearls is the lead design philosophy guy.

Really, what will it take for you to actually believe an ADMIN, who knows way more about this than you since he's actually, you know, in contact with WOTC? Or are you just trolling?

CapnZapp

Legend
I really hope that PHB+1 is not a design philosophy. If WotC comes out and says that "we only want to test the official material we charge you for against the the PHB and ignore the other sources" then that's really half-a...done and not worth purchasing additional books because then I have to do the design work of testing all of the material in the book unless I[m willing to drop all of the other expansions I bought from them.

Basically, if PHB+1 is a guiding philosophy, then I don't see the need to purchase any more expansion books since WotC is saying hey may not be balance-compatible with the expansions they have already sold me. There's plenty of other RPGs out there were expansion material is well integrated with each other where I can vote with my wallet.
Thank you for being a voice of reason.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Um...several times an ADMIN has told you it is a WOTC rule, not an AL rule.

You then essential said, "I'm not calling you a liar, but you're a liar" and told him to source it.

So he sourced it with a tweet.

Now you claim that doesn't count, because it's "Still AL".

Except the tweet was a Crawford tweet, and Crawford has nothing to do with AL. He's the rule and design guy. Mearls and Lindsey are the AL guys, and Mearls is the lead design philosophy guy.

Really, what will it take for you to actually believe an ADMIN, who knows way more about this than you since he's actually, you know, in contact with WOTC? Or are you just trolling?
Do you want to misunderstand?

In general parlance "a WotC rule" suggests a rule affecting every D&D player. This rule does not affect every player. Hence, I don't see it as "a WotC rule".

Outside of AL, I don't care who wrote a specific AL rule. It doesn't concern my non-AL play.

Other than that, read Skerritt's last post. It's a good one.

jasper

Rotten DM

In general parlance "a WotC rule" suggests a rule affecting every D&D player. This rule does not affect every player. Hence, I don't see it as "a WotC rule". ohhh I is going to play wordy games.

Outside of AL, I don't care who wrote a specific AL rule. It doesn't concern my non-AL play.

..EN World mobile app
Well shucky darn there old fart. If ewe all ain't playing AL, why is you griping about Al rules. Go play with the regular folks.
eye is is all in favor of loyal opposite shun but u is taking it a mite to farr.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer

In general parlance "a WotC rule" suggests a rule affecting every D&D player. This rule does not affect every player. Hence, I don't see it as "a WotC rule".

Other than that, read Skerritt's last post. It's a good one.

Yes, I dod read Skerritt's last post, and he said, once again, that PHB+1 is a design philosophy of 5e. As has Crawford. As has Mearls.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

In general parlance "a WotC rule" suggests a rule affecting every D&D player.

Given that the DM and players for each group decide & consent on the rules they're going to use for their game, I would submit that WotC has no power over those decisions whatsoever. If they wanted to add the Betty Crocker Cookbook as a source book for ritual spells, that's their business and WotC could care less. If they want to use all the WotC books released thus far as well as whatever they've found online and applied generous helpings of houserules to them, again WotC likely endorses that.

On the other hand WotC is intimately involved with what passes in AL and has designated PH+1 as a rule. This extends to their own design methodology because that works for them. The back of SCAG says it's for use with the PH, MM and DMG, for example. That's their promise to their customers. What those folks do from there is their own business.

thethain

First Post
The back of SCAG says it's for use with the PH, MM and DMG, for example. That's their promise to their customers. What those folks do from there is their own business.

I don't really take their copy and paste boilerplate message for much. It says the same on the back of Storm Kings Thunder. So according to this line of logic you shouldn't use any info from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide in Storm Kings thunder. Two books which go together ALMOST as much as the dragon queen series. Caveat emptor!!

In Fact... Rise of Tiamat has the same message. So you SHOULDN'T use it with Hoard of the Dragon Queen. The book which is meant to go along with it.

Remove ads