• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Existential Crisis With The Life Cleric

Syntallah

First Post
I was helping one of my players update his character sheet [High Elf, Cleric w/ Life Domain] upon leveling up, and something jumped out at me, leading to a slight existential crisis:

The Disciple of Life and Blessed Healer class features both use the term ‘spell level’ when talking about a bonus to his healing (i.e. “…regain hit points equal to 2 + the spell’s level.”) Now, up until this point, I have glossed over the reading of those lines to mean ‘spell slot’, but I believe I have been over powering these abilities the whole campaign because spell slot and spell level are two different things…

So, my question is, when a Cleric of Life casts Cure Wounds [a 1st level spell] using a 4th level spell slot, does the bonus from Disciple of Life and Blessed Healer grant the victim A). [2+1=3] or B.) [2+4=6] hit points?

Ganymede81

First Post
"When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting." PHB, Page 201

Remove ads