• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Experience II

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Well, that didn' work. Anyone got a prybar made o' diamonds or somethin?" Granite asks through clenched teeth. It's obvious he is one frustrated dwarf. "'Cause if not, I'm heavin' this thing overboard!"

Thanee

First Post
Silvermoon

Fifteen minutes later, Silvermoon gets up and her book quickly vanishes in the secure depths of her backpack.

“Now, let's hope that this works...”

Then she heads towards the coffin and casts her spell on it to get through the magical spell, which is sealing it shut, and to be able to open the box.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
The spell strikes the coffin squarely, and has no discernable effect. It appears that the abjuration magics warding it are not intended to keep closed any entrances; the spell has in fact proven that, aside the slit through which the cloud has issued, there are no such entrances. Most likely, the wardings are to prevent spell effects permeating through the box to affect the creature inside.

Thanee

First Post
Silvermoon

“Well, that didn't work either. Looks like this coffin cannot be opened, other than with a force brutal enough to cleave right through the adamantine casing, and we do not seem to be able to seal the slit through which the vampire can travel. There's also not enough room inside to fit in together with the corpse, I already tried that. Let's just throw it overboard, I have no idea how we could otherwise keep that abomination from preying on us again and again and again. Hopefully, the water will cause the burning one some trouble...”

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Good, now... I may nee' some 'elp, so go git some o' the others. 'is thing t'will be 'ard to budge," Granite says, starting to shift the thing towards the stairs to see how heavy it is.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
The chest is monstrously heavy, but Granite is now monstrously strong. Though picking it up would be impossible, especially in these cramped quarters, he is able to manhandle it up the ladder, up a second ladder onto the deck, and (presumably) push it over the edge in a place where the damaged railing has not yet been repaired. It sinks without any bubbles of air, nor is any movement whatsoever visible as it drops straight to the bottom of the river.

Thanee

First Post
Silvermoon

Seeing the adamantine coffin drown, Silvermoon turns to Granite and says:

“Let's hope this fiend can't get out into the water at least...”

She then proceeds to go looking for the captain and explain to him what happened, that there was some kind of fiery vampire inside the case who had killed the nightwatch already and was about to steal more souls, if they had not intervened.

OOC: BTW, the Polymorph spell must have ended already, since it only has a 12 minute duration and Silvermoon needed at least 15 minutes, but I guess we should be able to get the thing up and overboard somehow, probably with help from the sailors... at least they managed to get it in there, too. ;-)

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Tarkson listens to Silvermoon's explanation, but seems suspicious. Not suspicious of the story, necessarily, just generally suspicious of anything dealing with these bizarre travelers on what is now his ship. He does not, however, voice any objections.

OOC: Yeah, you would have managed it eventually without the spell.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
The ship drifts downriver for four more days without incident. On the fifth day, there is a bizarre experience in which the ship briefly falls into open space, then turns and falls in a different direction; following this, the vesser seems to be rising.

After five days of travel in this fashion, one of the sailors sees light ahead. Within the hour, the Sea-Gallop has returned to the surface, somehow in a tropical swamp. There is barely room to maneuver, and Tarkson orders the anchor dropped to keep from being dragged onto one of the many sandbars. The air is hot and humid, filled with the drone of insects and the call of strange birds. The sun blazes high overhead, its harsh light filtered by the gigantic trees.

Thanee

First Post
Silvermoon

“What kind of weird place has this journey brought us to?” Silvermoon asks without expecting an answer.

“I hope we will find signs of civilization here... and I hope they will be friendly towards us.”

As they emerge in the swamp, the elf casts a spell for her protection.

Letting her gaze wander about the surroundings, she is looking for any signs of life or significant landmarks.

OOC: Prepared spells updated. Casting Superior Resistance. Silvermoon has cast the following spells on the last evening (on the last few days), before resting: extended Mage Armor, extended Familiar Pocket, extended Deeper Darkvision, Energy Buffer.

Remove ads