Experts, PC and Class Skill Changes - please critique!

Lorehead

First Post
Your proposal is a bad idea, badly implemented. You've had much better ideas, and I think you ought to put this one to pasture and work on something else. This house rule fails even to achieve its stated purpose: in the RAW, an expert and a fighter of the same level who both have Skill Focus will be equally good blacksmiths, whereas under your house rules, an expert and a fighter of the same level who both have Skill Focus will still be equally good blacksmiths. As a side effect, you also remove niche protection for the PC classes' signature skills.

You probably won't consider those facts pertinent, either. Instead of addressing any of the points I raised, you've told me that I shouldn't have brought them up. I see no need to respond to your claims that nothing I wrote was constructive or pertinent to the discussion; anyone who's read this far can judge that for himself. If you don't want to hear criticism of your ideas, I'll be happy not to provide it.

Nyaricus

First Post
You came in here with "Stop trying. Really." and want to claim that you are adding something here? :mad: Honestly, the tone you provide all us lovely ENnies is just downright rude.

I think something has gotten off track...

If I reread this right, the base concept is...
remove Craft/Profession from all the class lists except for Expert..meaning a character has to soak up cross-class skills to become an expert at the Craft/Profession.

Alter the Skill Focus to provide +3 to a skill and make it a class skill, meaning a PC can choose to become an uber Blacksmith, but at a cost.

This would definately make it so experts are usually *experts* compared to the equal level fighter who happens to do some blacksmithing on the side, thereby acheiving the stated goals.

A secondary concept, that has not been fleshed out or even validated, is the use of substitution levels. I would heartily agree that we have a poor implementation of this concept...heck, its only a framework at the moment!

Lorehead, the key phrase in my quote about economic powerbase is "...forget building guildhouses,..."
Without the advantage Craft/Profession as class skills, you either need to up-level every guild member in order to have the economic wherewithal to build a guild. Now, if you want a campaign world without guild houses and the potential political plots that they can create.. no big deal. If, OTOH, you want a heavy population of political powers... then you need to have competant Experts.

I am not sure substitution levels would be worth the effort. I think the base concept {above} would be sufficient for my table.

But.. final note. Both y'all need to step back from the keyboard for a while to rethink the tone in the preceding couple of posts... I prefer mild disagreement and cooperation to finding solutions instead of the way this thread is headed.

Thanks all.. and g'night!

Nyaricus

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
I think something has gotten off track...
Regrettably, yes.
If I reread this right, the base concept is...
Nyaricus said:
remove Craft/Profession from all the class lists except for Expert..meaning a character has to soak up cross-class skills to become an expert at the Craft/Profession.

Alter the Skill Focus to provide +3 to a skill and make it a class skill, meaning a PC can choose to become an uber Blacksmith, but at a cost.
This would definately make it so experts are usually *experts* compared to the equal level fighter who happens to do some blacksmithing on the side, thereby acheiving the stated goals.
Hmmm, see I think Skill Focus that adds +3 and gives Craft as a class skill is too much. If one were to specify that you only make the sub Craft skills a class skill, and not craft as a whole (since each sub-skill entails completely different things) then I'd be okay with that (example: Fighter takes Skill Focus (Craft: Weaponsmithing). He gains a +3 bonus on all Craft: Weaponsmithing checks and gains Craft: Weaponsmithing as a class skill). Point is, experts skill get their niche under this system and otehrs who take that will be giving up a bit for it.

A secondary concept, that has not been fleshed out or even validated, is the use of substitution levels. I would heartily agree that we have a poor implementation of this concept...heck, its only a framework at the moment!
Indeed, it is a flimsy thing at the moment, but I really like the idea of substitution levels (having recently taken a closer look at them) and want to figure out a way to make this worthwhile. I/we shall have to think on it.

I am not sure substitution levels would be worth the effort. I think the base concept {above} would be sufficient for my table.
The base concept, I doubt it, actually needs the expert substituition levels, but I think they might be a neat idea. Quicker crafting times, better quality (better durability, etc), ability to sell them at higher prices, salesman-type bonus and some other stuff, and I think we might have something viable on our hands.

But.. final note. Both y'all need to step back from the keyboard for a while to rethink the tone in the preceding couple of posts... I prefer mild disagreement and cooperation to finding solutions instead of the way this thread is headed.
I probably should have taken a second, but I typed before I thought about it. :\ Apollogies, Lorehead, if you feel them deserved. I didn't come in here intending to make you feel unwelcome.

Thanks all.. and g'night!
G'night, and thank you for your comments, which were more level-headed than what I came up with tonight. Peace.

Lorehead

First Post
Nyaricus said:
You came in here with "Stop trying. Really." and want to claim that you are adding something here?
Well, yes. I believe that this proposal is a dead end and that it would be better for you to apply your talents elsewhere. It sounds as if I expressed that thought very poorly, for which I'm sorry. I have, despite that, offered several specific proposals to improve it.

I can't defend myself without changing the topic from the merits of your proposal to who's in the wrong, something that I have no desire to argue about. I do, however, owe you an apology for confusing you with someone else and mistaking this for a continuation of a thread lost to the crash. I incorrectly thought that you'd already seen my earlier posts on this topic and had chosen to ignore them without a response. I therefore didn't repeat what I had said before, and my initial comments seemed to come out of nowhere.

When you preemptorily dismissed every suggestion I made, with comments that they weren't pertinent, or weren't reasoning but "baggage," or that I'm in conflict with the very purpose of the forum, I felt insulted. You appear to be attacking my motives instead of my points and telling me that you think I have nothing to add here.

I think Primitive Screwhead is right. I don't like the course this conversation has taken either. I hope that addressing his points on their merits will help steer it back on track.

I believe that you are mistaken about this. Please let me explain why.

The expert with Skill Focus and the fighter with Skill Focus have exactly the same bonus on their craft checks—under either this house rule and the RAW. If only one of the two has the feat, that one will be better, under either this house rule or the RAW. This house rule does nothing at all to stop a fighter from becoming an über-blacksmith. It doesn't even impose any additional cost. It does severely penalize an adventurer who puts a few ranks in the profession for flavor, takes up blacksmithing as a hobby, or becomes the village blacksmith when he retires. It does destroy the niche protection the game gives the existing classes.

If the complaint is that it's unrealistic for a fighter delving through a dungeon to improve at blacksmithing at the same rate as a full-time blacksmith, saying, "Ah, but he had the same Skill Focus as the expert before he went in," or even, "Ah, but he took a one-level dip in the expert class first!" doesn't adequately solve the problem. This is why I say that the proposal fails to achieve its stated goals.

The optional training rules on page 197 of the Dungeon Master's Guide are, in my opinion, a much simpler solution without the undesirable side-effects. (I don't recall whether I said this before or after the crash, so I apologize if I'm repeating an impertinent comment.)

Lorehead, the key phrase in my quote about economic powerbase is "...forget building guildhouses,..."
Without the advantage Craft/Profession as class skills, you either need to up-level every guild member in order to have the economic wherewithal to build a guild. Now, if you want a campaign world without guild houses and the potential political plots that they can create.. no big deal. If, OTOH, you want a heavy population of political powers... then you need to have competant Experts.
Why? What is the reasoning behind this statement?

Absolutely nothing prevents a DM from saying that a certain guild is an economic powerhouse. Indeed, the DMG discusses this possibility on page 138. Since D&D doesn't even try to be an economic simulation, each DM assigns political and economic power arbitrarily. Changing the skill system is beside the point; there is no meaningful link between the few economic transactions, involving the PCs, that the game bothers to represent and the economy as a whole. You could completely revamp Profession checks from top to bottom, and it would make no difference to how powerful guilds are in the setting.

With or without this change, the guild leaders couldn't be both low-level and relevant because a handful of ranks in craft skills make no real difference. Even forced to spend cross-class skill points, characters with a high Intelligence or Wisdom would beat the NPCs' skill checks a few levels later, to say nothing of how easy it would be to manipulate the low-level guildmasters in negotiations.

Also, the expert is too inferior a class to ever become competent. At best, you could design a completely new class around its skeleton, but any viable alternative to the PC classes would be as different from the expert as the bard and artificer are.

Change the fighter to a high-level rogue, and he'll not only be as good a blacksmith, he'll have more feats, know more skills, and be an order of magnitude better at everything else, even if he has to take Skill Focus at first level. Experts remain as useless as before; any character you could build as an expert, you could build better as a rogue instead. Even if you gave experts a few unique class skills for niche protection, and did not allow Skill Focus to make up the difference, that would at most encourage players to take one level of expert and then advance as a rogue from then on: even if they have to buy two skills cross-class from that point on, an exp 1/rog n build remains superior to a straight expert build in every way. Thus, your proposal turns the expert into, at best, a one-level class like the 3.0 ranger.

Finally, you can't logically justify a important guild in 3E run by experts, unless you first rewrite the item creation rules from the ground up. Recall that, as soon as your bonus on a craft skill reaches +10 (which it easily can at first level), you can take 10 and create a masterwork item. For all but a few crafts with special rules, raising your bonus above that point only allows you to create items faster, not to create new items.

If a wizard learns to craft magic armor and weapons, he'll be able to take ten and create his own masterwork items even if he bought his craft skills cross-class. At that point, expert sword-makers become economically insignificant, since even one magic sword can be worth more than all the masterwork swords the expert can churn out in a lifetime. More to the point, the PCs have long stopped using non-magical swords, so even if the experts can make them faster than anyone else, the players won't care. It won't ever be relevant to the game.

It sounds to me as if you're looking for a something that D&D simply can't provide without a major rewrite. This house rule certainly doesn't get you there.

Last edited:

Lorehead, you are correct to say that equal level expert/fighter with Skill Focus {that makes the skill a class skill} would be equally capable crafter.
However, the point is that an equal level expert/fighter without the cost of the extra feat results in the expert being the more capable crafter. For a classed character, there is an additional cost {the feat or cross-class skill} to being as competant.

Something that alot of people forget, mainly becuase I have not seen it in writing since the play-test phase of 3.x..... Max cross-class skills are supposed to be normal. Max class skills are superior abilities. A capable blacksmith is a Fighter who spent max points into the cross-class skill.
This variant makes it easier/cheaper for an expert to be a capable blacksmith while still allowing {at a cost} for classed characters to acheive the same level.
I think this makes the proposal meet its stated goals as it incurs a cost for a Fighter that the expert does not have to pay.

As to Guilds, despite the PC-centric view most modules have, the setting should be more like the majority. PC's are supposedly rare and special, meaning discounting guild's built on low level craftmens based on Craft Magic Item feats is a very narrow view of the world at large. I think this is one of the disconnects that drives this difference between us. I see a need for a world mechanic that favors the low level NPC classes as potential power bases. Yes, I could hand-wave this whole aspect {and often do} but the oddity of an adventurer being as capable at a craft as someone who spends all thier time focused on it... seems, well, odd.
Is it worth fixing? For me.. yes. Altho I would not put that much work into it as the cost/benefit doesn't weigh too much in its favor.

The other question is, does this come up in play? Umm.. for me, no. It really hasn't. Doesn't mean I don't want to tweak anyway!!

:)

Nyaricus, yes I meant Skill Focus provides +3 and makes that particular cascaded skill a class skill. So it would affect Craft{Silly Putty Sculptures} instead of Craft{ALL}

If a substitution level thing were worked out, I would think it should be an expansion over currently available options.. My initial thought is to allow a Blacksmith leveled character to create masterwork items with special enhancements ala Black Company masterwork rules. You could limit the + of the masterwork to the # of levels in the substitution class.
This would work very well for weapons/armor as we have a pre-built/balanced list of special abilities to kludge on. It would not work well for those Craft/Professions that do not tend towards this kind of thing.

eh.. lunch break is about over.. I guess I should get back to work :)

Remove ads