Explore the Winding Streets & Canals of Swords of the Serpentine!

The city of Eversink, in Kevin Kulp and Emily Dresner's upcoming GUMSHOE-powered Swords of the Serpentine fantasy RPG (you can preorder it now) is full of canals, tiny streets, and tall buildings. Cartogrpaher Jérôme Huguenin created the map below!

The city of Eversink, in Kevin Kulp and Emily Dresner's upcoming GUMSHOE-powered Swords of the Serpentine fantasy RPG (you can preorder it now) is full of canals, tiny streets, and tall buildings. Cartogrpaher Jérôme Huguenin created the map below!

eversink.jpg

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space
Nice and obviously inspired by Venice. I don't know how well the Gumshoe system fits with fantasy, though.

It fits incredibly well. GUMshoe may have started as investigative-focused rulesets with ho-hum rules for everything else, but various iterations have evolved dramatically.

Timewatch was streamlined and pulpy, as is Serpentine (itself an evolution of Timewatch). Both have, by Gumshoe standards, stripped down skill lists.

Like the cherries used in Nights Black Agents to add spy type high action, Serpentine has basically expanded Skill point expenditures to become little grenades of awesome.

It has a freeform but simple (and oh so corrupting) sorcery system, beautifully elegant maneuvers system designed to emulate Conan-style combat, flavourful character creation, sway rules for verbal sparring/insulting, etc. that work just as smoothly as combat and sorcery, and a superb setting (especially if you love Lies of Locke Lamora or Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser).

It is, to be frank, insanely likely to be one of the front-runners for multiple RPG awards this year, and I say that as a veteran freelancer and nominee for Best Rules ENnie in 2010.

I honestly wish I had written it, it's just that good.

There's a big thread on it with lots of details on RPG.net too.

Cheers,
Colin

atanakar

Hero
Well, well, well. My last foray into GUMSHOE was with Ashen Stars. A fantasy variation sounds very interesting. Added to my wish list. Do we know when the book is coming out?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Do we know when the book is coming out?

Pre-order includes a PDF copy of the rules pre-layout, available now. With stuff going on in the world, I don't know that we can expect them to give an exact date on when physical books are going to be available.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nice and obviously inspired by Venice. I don't know how well the Gumshoe system fits with fantasy, though.
You'd think, right? I actually wrote a blog post about it here talking about it. The trick was realizing the Investigative ability spends are nothing more than nuggets of exciting narrative control, and then using those to make a combat system that feels fun and epic.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads