• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

extra spell feat

parinho7

First Post
my original concept was for this character to be in melee a lot more than what he is--more of a Battlecaster or Warmage concept
if you like this concept you can take a look at the Abjurant Champion prc on Complete Mage. with your current feat selection you can make him more of a "gish" character. This prc will boost your AC and and the Acrane Boost feature is very good, and it gives full bab. All you have to do is take a proficiency in a martial weapon (rapier is a good choice since you have weapon finesse). and then maybe level up as an eldrich knight.

i recommend to gradually change your spell selection and take spells that buff you, you will not need any metamagic feats except maybe persistent spell, it's up to you

recommended spells:
wraithstrike, critical strike, SHIELD (+9 shield bonus), (if you are good then you MUST take greater luminous armor and your ac will get a +13 armor bonus) cat's grace, bear's endurance, greater magic weapon, flaming weapon, keen edge, HASTE

i agree with the others about the Arcane Strike feat although if you choose the abjurant champion prc it can wait 3 more levels.:)

there is also a trick that i saw once, you can take the extraordinary spell aim (metamagic) feat buff yourself and then cast antimagic field excluding yourself from the field so you will remain buffed and the ones that you attack will loose all they magic benefits. the abjurant champion prc allows you to cast it as a swift action and is automatically extended

Last edited:

parinho7

First Post
and then maybe level up as an eldrich knight.
if you choose this you can level up as a fighter at level 9 (so you don't have to get martial weapon proficiency at level 9) or as an other class that gives you proficiency to all martial weapons (barbarian, paladin, warblade(best choise in my opinion)) and get the arcane strike at level 9 + one more feat

to sum up my suggestion is:

sorcerer(8)/fighter(1)/abjurant champion(5)/eldrich knight(6)
[bab +16, caster level 20]
and feats:
9: arcane strike, +1 more
12: practiced spellcaster
15: extend spell
18: persistent spell

irdeggman

First Post
if you choose this you can level up as a fighter at level 9 (so you don't have to get martial weapon proficiency at level 9) or as an other class that gives you proficiency to all martial weapons (barbarian, paladin, warblade(best choise in my opinion)) and get the arcane strike at level 9 + one more feat

Just remember that the feat martial weapon proficiency gives yo proficiency in 1 martial weapon not all martial weapons. It is a rather sucky feat per RAW. Better off with a single level in a class than grants proficiency with all martial weapons.

from the SRD

MARTIAL WEAPON PROFICIENCY [GENERAL]
Choose a type of martial weapon. You understand how to use that type of martial weapon in combat.

Benefit: You make attack rolls with the selected weapon normally.

Normal: When using a weapon with which you are not proficient, you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls.

Special: Barbarians, fighters, paladins, and rangers are proficient with all martial weapons. They need not select this feat.

You can gain Martial Weapon Proficiency multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

A cleric who chooses the War domain automatically gains the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat related to his deity’s favored weapon as a bonus feat, if the weapon is a martial one. He need not select it.

Thanee

First Post
Arcane Strike is definitely awesome, if you actually do melee (i.e. with Polymorph).

If you can retrain (via PHB2), I would definitely consider to get rid of Weapon Finesse (this level) AND Point Blank Shot (next level), and get some Metamagic instead.

Depending on your spell selection, good first Metamagic Feats might be Empower Spell, Heighten Spell, or Sudden Silent.

Combat Casting is not as good as Spell Focus (Concentration)... BUT... if you consider the Abjurant Champion Prestige Class (Complete Mage), it is a prerequisite, and that class is very much awesome for a Sorcerer (esp. one that also wants to get into melee occasionally).

Bye
Thanee

Dandu

First Post
it only duplicates spells, not powers. If you use full transparency you deserve to have your campaign broken in to little pieces.

A limited wish lets you create nearly any type of effect. For example, a limited wish can do any of the following things.
  • Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
  • Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
  • Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 5th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.
  • Duplicate any other spell of 4th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.
  • Undo the harmful effects of many spells, such as geas/quest or insanity.
  • Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects, such as a single creature automatically hitting on its next attack or taking a -7 penalty on its next saving throw.

1. Powers count as spells under Magic-Psionics transparency, which is the default rule. The 4th level power Psychic Reformation can be duplicated under this clause.
2. Even if there is no transparency, the part where Limited Wish can produce any effect whose power level is in line with the above effects covers it.
3. Having transparency does not break the game. Not having transparency does. If you question this, I will destroy you for your insolence.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads