Eye Surgery: Myths and Legends?

My wife had LASIK in Jan. Age 37, severe nearsightedness (-8.0 was her best eye).

She came out of the surgery seeing 20/30, and had some complications -- difficulty with night vision, some blurriness, coronas around light sources, that sort of thing, which can be expected initially but got worse rather than better over time. They gave her a "touch up" surgery on one eye about two months later, and eliminated the problems. She now sees 20/20 to 20/30 and is very happy about the entire process.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Atavar said:
If you are putting contact lenses in your eyes all the time, you significantly increase the risk for infections, which sometimes can result in severe complications (e.g. vision loss). If you don't put anything in your eyes, like if you only wear glasses, then you eliminate these added risks and your eyes are healthier long term. So, he concluded, getting LASIK surgery and eliminating your need for contact lenses actually is healthier for your eyes long term.

Gah, I don't really have anything to add to the LASIK conversation, but I had to call this out. If you take care of your eyes and your contact lenses, there's just about as much chance of an infection as there is complication from the surgery. That was a total bullcrap selling line.

My biggest thing about the LASIK surgery is because of things like this. IMO it's extremely hard to trust these people doing the surgery, because it's not an established medical procedure. I don't want to go out on a limb and say it's cosmetic - there are certainly people who benefit vastly from it, many of them in this thread, from what I understand. However, the surgery right now is treated as a cosmetic surgery, in much the same way botox and breast enlargement are, and there's a degree of acceptable risk and quality control that, IMO, is simply not as standard as you would get in an actual hospital, or hospital-affiliated practice.

Harmon

First Post
The wife did it, it kinda lessened her night vision, but she is very happy to have gone through it and would not go back.

Note that it is gonna take a few days to get your visual accuity back, but it should be fine.

Oh, and from what I hear you might want to wait just one more year to see how your eyes fair, if they continue on the path of stability then do it then rather then now.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
If the surgery goes wrong, it doesn't neccessarily mean you go back to wearing glasses, or your prescription is just not as good as you expect- it could mean trading in your glasses for a seeing-eye dog and a white cane.
That's actually impossible IMO unless you're already blind in one eye. Any such complete failure in a surgery will be immediately noticed and the bilateral surgery (obviously in this case) will not be continued. But, keep in mind that at least in the US you will have to agree to a bilateral treatment. If you wish, just space the surgeries apart.

Thus, at worst you would be blinded in one eye, not two. Unless, of course, you go to LASIK R US. ;)

There are three main treatment modalities being performed in the world (you can look up the acronyms if you really give a flip):

1. LASIK - aka Flap n' Zap. Whether the flap is made from a microkeratome (the blade) or another (very expensive) laser doesn't make a whole lot of difference. This produces the fastest healing time but it makes your cornea significantly weaker and the flap never fully heals. It also preserves the Bowman's membrane, whatever that does (note: no one really and truly knows for sure, but the guess is that it's a 'germ' barrier of some sort). I have seen surgeries where a surgeon performed an enhancement two years later, peeling the flap back like a scab. I can upload video if anyone wants. (Okay, no, I won't. Too much trouble.)

2. PRK - The epithelium (and Bowman's layer) are removed. This is about 50 microns of tissue, but the epithelium grows back. The fact that it grows back and the loss of it in the first place is why this method is a lot more painful and takes longer to heal. But, the integrity loss is far less than LASIK. Also, because of the much greater healing that must occur, it is far less predictable. The removal of the epithelium can be done with alcohol or a wire brush or even the laser itself (this last one called transepithelial PRK). This is the method that is recommend by the US Armed Forces, btw, and the only one allowed for entrance into certain special forces. At least, it was a couple of years ago. I dunno if they changed that.

3. LASEK - very similar to PRK, but the epithelium is weakened, pushed back, surgery performed, and then reset into place. This is still kind of new and I don't recall the plusses and minuses off-hand.

Since I'm not an ophthalmologist, I cannot recommend one modality over another. I know world-class, excellent surgeons who perform each. I'll try not to get on a soapbox about specific technologies (e.g. wavefront is not what you think it is), but I'll point out that the surgery itself is (now) incredibly safe in the hands of even a semi-skilled surgeon. But, boy do I have some horror stories from the past (of course all with competitor's equipment). I would look at the surgeon's results. I would not go to a surgeon who's 20/20 value was less than 99%. I know surgeons who are obtaining 20/16 90% of the time, with 20/12.5 50% of the time. Of course, this is with our latest stuff, not available in the US.

Disclaimer: I write software (design the surgical algorithms) for one of the laser manufacturers.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Infiniti2000 said:
The removal of the epithelium can be done with alcohol or a wire brush ...

*screams at the thought*

I've considered surgery a couple of times, but if I still have to have reading glasses afterwards (I'm 44), there seems to be little point. The only reason I'd have it done would be to free myself from glasses and contact lenses.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's actually impossible IMO unless you're already blind in one eye.

Extremely rare, but not impossible- like I said, there is a doctor where I live who is litigating just such a botched surgery, having been rendered legally blind by the procedure, and is consequently unable to continue to practice medicine.

Details as to what exactly happened are hard to come by, since, as I mentioned, this is current litigation, so neither side is free to speak at this time.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Atavar said:
When I was first consulting a doctor about getting my LASIK surgery he brought up an interesting point. If you are putting contact lenses in your eyes all the time, you significantly increase the risk for infections, which sometimes can result in severe complications (e.g. vision loss). If you don't put anything in your eyes, like if you only wear glasses, then you eliminate these added risks and your eyes are healthier long term. So, he concluded, getting LASIK surgery and eliminating your need for contact lenses actually is healthier for your eyes long term.

Of course, I took all of that with a grain of salt, considering his vested interest in my deciding to do the surgery. But I do see some logic in what he had to say, even if it doesn't show you the whole picture on the matter.

Later,

Atavar

-----

"Robot Chicken is crazy funny." - Atavar

That's why you thoroughly wash your hands before touching your lenses. And keeping your solution/eye drops as sterile as possible.

ssampier

First Post
Darth K'Trava said:
That's why you thoroughly wash your hands before touching your lenses. And keeping your solution/eye drops as sterile as possible.

Also, discard your soft contacts at a regular interval. I must admit that I keep longer than specified--three weeks instead of two. I have relatives that keep them much longer than that (ie until they lose them or they become damaged).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Gwarsh durn kids and their disposable soft lenses!

In MY day, we had soft lenses that were EXPENSIVE and you kept them for at least a year or more! AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!

Arkhandus

First Post
BV210 said:
The only pain involved with the procedure was when they peeled the tape off of where they had taped your eyelids open.

Why in the Nine Hells of Ba'ator do they tape the eyelids open?!?!!? :eek: :confused: :uhoh: I can't imagine how painful and unpleasant THAT would be.... Can't they just, like, hold the eyelids open with some non-sharp metal device that doesn't give the worst eyebrow-and-eyelash-removal experience of your life? I really, really don't want to experience that if I ever get LASIK..... *twitch* *twitch* o_O

Atavar, could ya maybe send me the info though that you offered the original poster? About the doctor you got eye surgery from in Michigan? If I ever do get the chance to move back to Michigan before I'm too old and cranky to enjoy it, I might want to look into this. You can e-mail me from my EN World user profile or something (just click on my name above my Vash avatar pic).

Remove ads