Eye Surgery: Myths and Legends?

Infiniti2000

First Post
Arkhandus said:
Why in the Nine Hells of Ba'ator do they tape the eyelids open?!?!!? :eek: :confused: :uhoh: I can't imagine how painful and unpleasant THAT would be....
Methinks it was a joke. Most (reputable) surgeons use a speculum. You know, like in A Clockwork Orange?

ssampier

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Gwarsh durn kids and their disposable soft lenses!

In MY day, we had soft lenses that were EXPENSIVE and you kept them for at least a year or more! AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY!

Take it easy, Gramps! Here, have some prunes.

Hellefire

First Post
my experiences

I thought long and hard about Lasik surgery before I had it done. Part of the dichotomy of me...
1. I LOVE reading and have been programming for 23 years. Hence the need for clsoe vision.
2. I LOVE nature (from Alaska) and have been traveling for 30 years, and never plan to stop. Hence the need for distance vision.

Well, my plan was to not stop traveling unless I financially had to (note, that changed when I met a girl and had a baby...but she's into travelling too and we're going back to it, with the baby, in a couple years, after her brother finishes high school since we take care of him). I had been wearing contacts for 16 years and didn't know where my travels would take me or what the eye doctors in those countries would be like or where I would be sleeping/how clean my hands would be (I've never been able to sleep with my contacts in).

So, I had it done. As they said, my eyes felt liek they had hot sand in them for a day or two (this was in 2002, so things may have improved since). When my vision cleared, it was simply amazing. To be able to clearly see peopel and trees and details from afar, all the time, when I wake up, was just a god send. While I would not trade it for the world, there are a couple downsides...

1. Since I had to stop traveling for a bit and go back to doing some stuff with computers, my eyes get sore looking at a monitor (or reading a book) for an extended period of time. (I ended up with better than perfect vision, 20/15, which is great for distances but nowe I can't focus on extremely close objects).

2. The doctor told me that in about 85% of the cases, if you have star-bursts before surgery you will still have them after surgery (not the candy - is a visual effect where lights are fuzzy, and seem to have little streams of light coming out of them in all directions), that about 10% with them beforehand improve, and about 5% get worse. I think he said that if you don't have them before surgery, the chances of getting them from surgery is one of those next to impossible complications. With me, they either stayed the same, or got a little worse. As someone else stated about his wife, my night vision got slightly worse. I think. I'm not sure because it is a strange effect - and may be caused by the fact that most things are crystal clear while anything that is a light source is blurry. Also, avoid driving through a snowstorm if this happens to you. I drove out of Alaska and hit a blizzard...and lemme tell you, millions of fuzzy dots flying at me out of the darkness got my eyes pretty damn sore.

So, anyway, research the risks and possible good and bad effects. Yes, wait until your eyes finish changing (I'd ask a regular optician about that one). Decide whether distance or near vision is more important, because it's a fact that you have to give up a bit of one to improve the other. (By the way, when I had mine done the doctor told me that the surgery in no way changed the possibility that I would need reading glasses as I got older).

It is a bit scary, surgery with your eyes. Though I had a vasectomy last year, and guess which one scared me more?

Aaron

Xath

Moder-gator
My aunt had Lasik 4 years ago, and my boyfriend had PRK in June. I'll go through the risks/benefits below.

Infiniti2000 said:
1. LASIK - aka Flap n' Zap. Whether the flap is made from a microkeratome (the blade) or another (very expensive) laser doesn't make a whole lot of difference. This produces the fastest healing time but it makes your cornea significantly weaker and the flap never fully heals. It also preserves the Bowman's membrane, whatever that does (note: no one really and truly knows for sure, but the guess is that it's a 'germ' barrier of some sort). I have seen surgeries where a surgeon performed an enhancement two years later, peeling the flap back like a scab. I can upload video if anyone wants. (Okay, no, I won't. Too much trouble.)

LASIK is much less painful than PRK, and the recovery time is theoretically less. However, if you are physically active, LASIK is not right for you. (Hence the reason the military doesn't use it) The thing is, if you are hit hard enough (not necessarily in the eye, just enough to send physical shock through your body) the flaps from the surgery can detach, and then your eyeballs are (painfully) flapping all over the place. I hear it really sucks.

My aunt had LASIK 4 years ago (as she is not in the habit of being forcibly active) and she liked it. However, now she still needs to wear glasses for driving and reading.

2. PRK - The epithelium (and Bowman's layer) are removed. This is about 50 microns of tissue, but the epithelium grows back. The fact that it grows back and the loss of it in the first place is why this method is a lot more painful and takes longer to heal. But, the integrity loss is far less than LASIK. Also, because of the much greater healing that must occur, it is far less predictable. The removal of the epithelium can be done with alcohol or a wire brush or even the laser itself (this last one called transepithelial PRK). This is the method that is recommend by the US Armed Forces, btw, and the only one allowed for entrance into certain special forces. At least, it was a couple of years ago. I dunno if they changed that.

This procedure (at least in the Army) takes about 12 minutes. They numb your eyes and use metal implements to force them open. They then pour an alcohol solution over the epithelium to dissolve it, and then use a wire brush (that sort of resembles a miniature cheese grater) and they grate away the dissolved layer, actually forcing the layer into the correct shape. (You get to watch them do this). Then, they put giant contact lenses in to replace the epithelium until it grows back (about 7 days). You get lots of eye drops, and you'll have to put them in every hour (regular "tears" and stereoid drops to help the eye heal faster). You'll get stupid goggles to wear while you sleep so you don't accidently poke yourself in the eye, and you have to wear them in the shower too. You will need to wear sunglasses every time you go outside for about a month (recommended).

The third day after your surgery will suck beyond all belief. You will feel like there is crap behind the contact, and your eyeballs will feel like they are coming out of their sockets. You will call your doctor, swearing something is wrong. He will say this is normal, and that the 10 other people who had PRK with you have just called him to say the same thing. You will curl up in pain and sleep for most of this day. Don't worry, it goes away.

After the first week, they'll remove the contacts and you can stop using the stereoid drops. PRK might suck, but it's got a much lower rate of recurrance and a lower rate of complications. With PRK, the eye does fully heal.

GlassJaw

Hero
Xath said:
LASIK is much less painful than PRK, and the recovery time is theoretically less. However, if you are physically active, LASIK is not right for you. (Hence the reason the military doesn't use it) The thing is, if you are hit hard enough (not necessarily in the eye, just enough to send physical shock through your body) the flaps from the surgery can detach, and then your eyeballs are (painfully) flapping all over the place. I hear it really sucks.

This is only true after the first few weeks to a month or so. Hence you wear a protective guard while you sleep. Scratching your eye most commonly happens while you are sleeping.

After the flap fully heals, an optometrist won't even be able to tell you had the procedure.

Xath

Moder-gator
GlassJaw said:
This is only true after the first few weeks to a month or so. Hence you wear a protective guard while you sleep. Scratching your eye most commonly happens while you are sleeping.

After the flap fully heals, an optometrist won't even be able to tell you had the procedure.

I was told (and I may be wrong here) that that's not true for most people. Most people take up to 3 months to fully heal, and some don't heal for up to 2 years.

GlassJaw

Hero
Xath said:
I was told (and I may be wrong here) that that's not true for most people. Most people take up to 3 months to fully heal, and some don't heal for up to 2 years.

Again, it all depends on the person's eye type before surgery, the type of procedure (there are even different kinds of LASIK), etc. Three months maybe but anything beyond that, especially up to two years, would have to be considered a special case.

Atavar

First Post
Arkhandus said:
Atavar, could ya maybe send me the info though that you offered the original poster? About the doctor you got eye surgery from in Michigan? If I ever do get the chance to move back to Michigan before I'm too old and cranky to enjoy it, I might want to look into this. You can e-mail me from my EN World user profile or something (just click on my name above my Vash avatar pic).

Done!

Hellefire

First Post
healing time

I drove out of Alaska, down the Cassiar highway to Washington, in 3 days, about 4 weeks after surgery. I was supposed to go in for a 'last' checkup (assuming everything was fine) at something like 6 weeks, but I already had plans. While I don't suggest ignoring doctors advice/check-ups, the standard healing time was basically 6 weeks, in 2002.

Aaron

Remove ads