Eye Surgery: Myths and Legends?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dannyalcatraz said:
No, I agree with the published failure rates. My point was more along the lines of make sure you need to fully understand not only the failure rate, but the failure implications.

"Risk" is a combination of the probability of a failure and the cost of the failure should it occur. Something that is not particularly probable can still be "high risk" because of the costs involved.

We here cannot weigh the risk for another. We canb simply point out the factors involved so that others can make an informed choice.

One thing to note - what we now call "lasik" has not been around for a terribly long time (since abolut 1991, iirc). And not all that many folks had the related procedures that predated lasik. So, what we don't have is a very good notion of the long-term effects. If you're only 20 now, you're going to have to use those eyes 40 and 50 years from now. Will you be more likely to need bifocals in 30 years? Or get cataracts? Or have some other risk of a side effect? Nobody can say, because the data simply doesn't exist yet.

Numion

First Post
Atavar said:
Also, the laser used to reshape the corneas was controlled precisely by a computer, although I think that's true for most cases now.

So is there a possibility of having the blue screen of death permanently etched on your eyes?

frankthedm

First Post
Numion said:
So is there a possibility of having the blue screen of death permanently etched on your eyes?
LOL.

Eye Chirurgery is fine for those who need it see, but those who do it out of convenience deserve the risk they take IMNSHO.

Besides what’s not to like about giving your eyes 3/4ths to 9/10ths cover with glasses?

The radio ads for “discount lazer eye surgery” really are funny.

Last edited:

Atavar

First Post
When I was first consulting a doctor about getting my LASIK surgery he brought up an interesting point. If you are putting contact lenses in your eyes all the time, you significantly increase the risk for infections, which sometimes can result in severe complications (e.g. vision loss). If you don't put anything in your eyes, like if you only wear glasses, then you eliminate these added risks and your eyes are healthier long term. So, he concluded, getting LASIK surgery and eliminating your need for contact lenses actually is healthier for your eyes long term.

Of course, I took all of that with a grain of salt, considering his vested interest in my deciding to do the surgery. But I do see some logic in what he had to say, even if it doesn't show you the whole picture on the matter.

Later,

Atavar

-----

"Robot Chicken is crazy funny." - Atavar

Balgus

First Post
I have two stories- and I believe that the thousands ofdollars poured intos urgery *for me* is better used to keep my eyes safe behing a thin piece of glass.

Story 1-
*A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away*
I applied for a job (four years ago) that required me to lose my glasses (job is irrelevant) so either I had to wear contacts everyday,or get lasik. I hate contacts- the way they itch and irritaet my eyes. I only wear them when I have to, but everyday? I can't do it.

I saw a study being done about Wavefront, boasted as the greatest thing to happen to eye surgery since sliced bread. It was being done at Stanford U, by a doctor who boasts thousands of successful surgeries, and years of practice.

I went in and they said I wasa prime candidate, and since I (along with 100 others) would be guinea pigs, they would pay for 75% of the surgery (-6.25, -5.75) and I would have to sign away my rights to any legal action ... yadadada.

I didn't feel comfortable, so I went to my eye doctor, been going to her for 8 years and trust her completely.

She told me that since my eyesight was still slipping (even slowly) I should not get the surgery because even if it were a success, I would lose my perfect vision in a couple years,so is it really worth it to pay that money? My answer was NO

So, I did not get the job and had to go back to school to get a better job than the rut I was in. Talking with a classmate one day, I found out that she was on her way to the courthouse for letigation. She actually did get the eye surgery from Stanford (as their pig four years ago) and now her eyes no longer makes tears. She has a dropper she uses every couple minutes, and once a month, she has to take an injection right into the eyeball. She is suing, even though she signed away the rights at the beginning.

Story 2-
My boss got surgery at UCLA med. She paid $5500 and got her vision lowered to 40/30/ SO even at UCLA, they can't guarantee 20/20 vision. So she still has to wear glasses to read and drive. Which are the two things I enjoy.

That is 0/2 (a whopping 0percent) Sorry to have no success stories for ya.
So for me, it is not worth it. I don't mind glasses. Would I like perfect vision? Sure. But not at that risk- and without guarantees.

BV210

Explorer
I had LASIK back in October of 2002 and have absolutely loved it. The only part of the procedure that was freaky was when they cut the flap, it kinda sounds like a radial arm saw. But since they give you a valium prior to going back it didn't really seem to bother me too much. ;) The only pain involved with the procedure was when they peeled the tape off of where they had taped your eyelids open.

My wife and my sister-in-law both had it as well, and all of us see at least 20/20 if not better. You'll be overprotective about anything getting close to your eyes for 6 months or so (made it tough with a toddler around the house) but you eventually get over that, too.

I highly recommend it to you and anyone else who's ever considered it.

Captain NeMo

First Post
I've got moderate-ishly poor eyesight (-2.25, -2.75) and have thought about laser eye surgery in the future. I can't get it now, since I'm a few years away from my eysight becoming stable, but I can definately empathise. Since the thought of going blind terrifies me, I'm gonna have to go with the guys saying that it's not worth the risk just yet. Wait a couple years to see if your eyes improve naturally (they did with my uncle from age 20 onwards).

Dirigible

Explorer
MYTH: Doctors will sometimes take your eye out of the socket during surgury and play marbles with it.

I cannot stess enough, this simply does not happen (except that once).

Fiery James

First Post
I've been thinking about it a lot lately, too. My target is to get it done next year. I wore contacts for the past 20 years... and back to glasses for the past 2. I'm ready to be able to see when I wake up in the morning...

Last year's work holiday party, 3 people around the table had lasik and were preaching its merits. I'm still nervous about the whole thing, and figure I'd be the .01% guy who ended up only being able to see backwards or something...

The big comment was that they couldn't believe I'd have a vasectomy before eye surgery... y'know, which would you rather have a surgical mishap with...

Anyway, I'm with you in the nervous part, and the tired of wearing glasses part, and the curious and thinking about it part.

- JAmes

I had it done. It was both easy and effective. My eyesight is perfect. I would highly recommend it. I also know several people who have had it without difficulty.

My recommendation is go to an eye doctor you trust and listen to their recommendation.

Remove ads