Eyes Of The Lich Queen

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, human cleric

DEFCON 1 said:
He turns and looks down at the elf boy, still ravaged by what had occured in the central room. "The fiends that were locked away in Khyber by my ancestors millenia ago still use every means possible to see to their freedom. This young man is proof of that. What happened here could easily happen again if the object were to fall into the wrong hands. Have any of you ever dealt with cultists dedicated to The Dragon Below? If so, you know what they are willing to do."

"Are there any further questions?"

Donovan listens attentively to all of the dragon's answers, then asks his follow up. "It seems unlikely a relic this powerful would be hidden away without some form of protection from those who might stumble upon it. Has your research told you what we might expect by way of obstacles, and what might be done to most easily overcome them? Have you any other allies in the area we might call upon should the need arise? Especially given the disastrous results of ignorance we saw earlier, any information on whatever or whomever we might face would be welcome."

drothgery

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
"This answer should be most obvious... I am that which the artifact can subdue. My brethren in The Chamber and I wish to find the Eye and bring it to Argonessen for safe keeping. Should anyone else gain control of it, the consequences could naturally be disasterous."

"Could not this 'Dragon's Eye' be used by a dragon as easily as anyone else? I would trust few of my own kind with an artifact that would offer control over humans; I would seek to destroy such a thing before someone yielded to the temptation to use it." Khalia asks.

DEFCON 1 said:
He turns and looks down at the elf boy, still ravaged by what had occured in the central room. "The fiends that were locked away in Khyber by my ancestors millenia ago still use every means possible to see to their freedom. This young man is proof of that. What happened here could easily happen again if the object were to fall into the wrong hands. Have any of you ever dealt with cultists dedicated to The Dragon Below? If so, you know what they are willing to do."

"I have. As has master Osten." She says.

Last edited:

Mista Collins

First Post
Having a seat as the others talk, Rogan appears to be examining the sharpness of his blades. His true interest and attention belong to the others gathered here. Usually the one who enjoys the talking, he takes this time to listen to what each has to say while trying to weigh and measure their personal worth and character.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ari continues looking into the fire, an unusal, somber attitude for those that know him well. Something is weighing on his mind, but he does not speak it. He lets the dragon speak its words.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Donovan said:
"It seems unlikely a relic this powerful would be hidden away without some form of protection from those who might stumble upon it. Has your research told you what we might expect by way of obstacles, and what might be done to most easily overcome them?"
Sur'Kil nods at the insightful question that is asked, and replies in kind. "The temple is now used by a tribe of lizardfolk worshippers of some half-fiend dragon god. From what I understand, they demand tribute from other lizardfolk tribes in the region, so I would expect them to be armed and capable. However, the temple and its inhabitants are merely an obstacle."

As he speaks and the others listen, the sounds of mumbling can be heard from the prone form of Jango Silversun... as though he was talking in his sleep. Cerrill continues trying to calm and pray over the young man, and the mumbling lessens.

"I believe that the Temple of Kha'shazul hides a deeper secret, one unknown even to the current inhabitants. My research indicates the temple occupies a place where an ancient demon was cast down... much like this place and others like this. Such places were guarded, in legend, by half-dragon beasts. Somewhere beneath that temple, I believe that the crypt of one such ancient creature lies, along with relics of that time."

Donovan said:
"Have you any other allies in the area we might call upon should the need arise? Especially given the disastrous results of ignorance we saw earlier, any information on whatever or whomever we might face would be welcome."
Sur'Kil shakes his head. "All of my allies are here with me. My personal contingent of Guardians that travelled with me... and the ones that I called in from the surrounding cities." He nods in the direction of Rogan. "However, I do not wish you to be cut off as you progress, so I will give you these..." he hands out a pair of stones that are carved in the shape of conch shells. "These are called sending stones... created and sold through House Sivis. Each one will allow you to send a one-time message of twenty-five words or less to anyone who the user is familiar with, after which it becomes inert. Please use them to contact me once you find the any relics and or the Eye... or if you will be returning empty-handed." Once two of the party take the pair of stones, the Valenar pulls several further items out of his satchel... several maps and papers, and eight small vials. "Here are maps and directions to the temple, and these are vials of antitoxin. A number of the lizardfolk tribes use poisons, and these I'm sure will be necessary."

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Khalia said:
"Could not this 'Dragon's Eye' be used by a dragon as easily as anyone else? I would trust few of my own kind with an artifact that would offer control over humans; I would seek to destroy such a thing before someone yielded to the temptation to use it."
"That I cannot answer fully, because the item has existed only in legend and myth. No one fully knows what it was capable of, nor indeed how usable it was in form and function. But you needn't fear it, Miss ir'Indari... because if by some chance it would be used by one of us against our own kind, you young races would never hear of it. There is a reason why 99% of us do not walk the lands of Khorvaire... and no reason for any of us to come here even if one were to gain control of the artifact." He smiles at the young woman. "Let us worry about protecting ourselves... we've been doing it for a lot longer than you have. But I thank you for your concern."

"Sir?" Cerrill Maise interrupts and turns to the Valenar. "I believe he is coming around." The elf smiles and walks over to Jango, kneeling at the boy's head. He rolls the young man onto his left side, then places his hand on Jango's back right below his right shoulder. Jina, Khalia, and Ari all recognize it to be the location of his aberrant dragonmark. The group listens as Sur'Kil begins talking in low incantations... and their thoughts are drawn back to the battle below.

As more and more members of the Daggerspell Guardians and Silver Flame templars entered the large chamber, their eyes were drawn to three seperate things. One was the large influx of demons and creatures rising out of the various parts of the large seal in the floor... one was the silver dragon currently doing battle with them as they rose... and one was a poor elf boy having his skin being virtually ripped from his body by unseen hands.

The battles that commenced inside that chamber did not allow for much time for those engaged to observe the agonies the boy named Jango went through... but those that did not directly enter the melee were able to see fairly well what happened. Jango's skin in various places turned black and oozy... like he was covered in tar... and the tar tried pulling itself from from the boy's body. Tendrills of blackness would stretch out from him, and try to grasp any of the fiends that were climbing up from beneath the floor. Like a grey ooze attempting to envelop another victim, this "skin" of Jango's was looking for another host.

The cries of anguish from the elf were painful to hear. In the points where the blackened, oozy skin had pulled itself free, the skin underneath was red and bleeding... like your leg looks like when you fall down and scrape it badly. The boy was being flayed alive, and there wasn't anything that anyone could think of to do. Anyone, that is... except the silver dragon himself.

With the emerging threat able to be occupied by all the warriors that had rushed into the room... the dragon was able to turn his attention to the boy and his escaping fiend. He dropped with a hard landing right next to the boy, and began working the magic that is inherent in the draconic race. Magical energy sprang out from Sur'Kil and engulfed the second skin, making it scream out in... something? No one would really be able to tell. But it was the first time that anyone besides Jango had heard the voice of it. Thus, a tug of war began between it and the dragon, the skin grasping and attaching itself to an emerging dolgaunt and pulling itself free... the magical energies paralyzing it and slowly destroying it. Inch by excrutiating inch, more and more of Jango's skin was being ripped away, either latching onto the dolgaunt or sizzling into nothingness. And the boy's eyes searched and became locked on the dragon's, the pain and agony the elf was feeling connecting the two of them as the one tried to save the other.

The part of the ordeal that Jina Silversun will never forget and which will haunt her for the rest of her days... was when the skin below Jango's right shoulder... the skin that was adorned by his dragonmark... began pulling away... taking the mark with it. The moan that eminated from the bottom of Jango's gut as this mark... this thing that had caused him so much mental anguish throughout his life but was as much a part of him as anything he's ever known... grew in pitch and volume. The combination of fear, pain, and the realization that your very soul was being taken from you... made Jina turn away in tears. Her brother could sense that his identity was being stripped from him... and the noises he made as a result would echo in her mind forever.

It's been said that it's impossible to lose a dragonmark. If you change your shape, your new form still shows the mark. If you lose the limb that the mark was on, the mark reappears elsewhere on the body. Thus, Jina watched with fascination and horror as the black skin that pulled free began glowing with the soft blue pattern of his mark. And from underneath, there was nothing but a mass of bleeding red muscle... no intricate design to be seen.

The war between daelkyr and dragon continued unabated in the midst of the war between humanity and the fiends of Khyber. And the energies that both the daelkyr and the dragon put in to try and bring this war to a close... enveloped the elf boy between them. And when the very last shot of Sur'Kil's arcane power shocked the creature completely free of Jango and sent it sprawling back into the hole beneath the seal... the boy collapsed at once. Bleeding... skinless... dying.

And yet... somehow he survived.

Whether the strength of his own soul, or the extra strength that the silver dragon gave him... he hung on long enough to be healed as best as the clerics could once the battle had ended. Eventually, the creatures were all killed or sent back into the pit... and once Sur'Kil was free following the destruction of the daelkyr's essence... he began reworking the magics his ancestors created and used millenia ago to reseal this opening.

And as those that survived the war made their way back to the surface... Sur'Kil, the Exorcist Cerril Maise, Khalia ir'Indari, and Jina Silversun took the boy back to the dragonmarked chamber and began the process of healing him, body, mind, and soul.

"Jango? Jango, can you hear me?" Sur'Kil speaks softly, while the others in the room watch on. "I have need of you Jango... I need your help. Can you hear me?" The sound of mumbling from the prone figure is heard once again, and the Valenar happily leans over closer to his ear. "You wanted answers, my boy... answers about who you are... what this all means. I have those answers for you, Jango. The Prophecy has told me the answers. It told me that you were coming... and that you would help me."

The mumbling of Jango grows a bit louder and more coherent, as though he is speaking Common while still half-asleep. No one can really make out what he is saying, but Sur'Kil understands and speaks to him still. "The marks are all a part of The Prophecy. Whether Aberrant or True. And in the Prophecy I learned that the boy who would lose one would regain another in my service. As my prophet. To assist me in learning even more about the Prophecy and all that it entails. So rise, young man. I have need of you to join these fine folks on an adventure."

Jango finally comes around fully, and Sur'Kil gently raises him up to sitting. Through the actions of all the healers, his skin has regrown and he looks no worse for wear... no different than he did before.

Except... his back. Right beneath his right shoulder. The place where his aberrant mark had been... no longer holds the mark. The mark is gone. It's been... replaced? Khalia immediately recognizes the design that is now on his back as a picture of the constellation Io. But what this means, she does not know.

Jango turns and looks at the Valenar... looks at the dragon who saved his soul. And for those in the room who knew of him previous... his twin sister Jina especially... his face shows something that he never had in the past. Contentment.

"I will help you, Sur'Kil. For I am your prophet and give myself to you. And I will help you as you have helped me." the elf says, his smile wide and happy.

Velmont

First Post
Jango warmly smiles at Sur'Kil. His voice is soft and calm, just as when he was telling a story next to the fire, in the Green Lilac, but somehow, he seems even more peacefull. "I must thank you, Sur'Kil. You saved my life, you saved my soul. In the mist of the fight I had against the Daelkyr, I was blind to my surroudning. The pain was so great, I would never imagine I could endure that. As it was pulling itself from my body, from my soul, it was draining my will. I was trying to prevent him to leave. I wanted to prevent him to do any more harm, but I would have lost... and I heard you. I heard your voice, I heard you advice... I let the Daelkyr go, leaving it to you. It was such a liberation. Not only I felt him leaving my soul, but it seems somehow, it goes away with my fear, with my anguish, with my hatred, with my anger. The pain was overwhelming, but the peace was too. It is then I fainted, because I knew I would awaken again."

Jango starts to scan the people around. As he spots his sister, he stands up. It seems not quite easy, Jango muscle seems tired. Cerrill Maise try to tell him to stay on his bed, to relax, but Jango ignore him. He walks up to Jina. "Sis. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have treated like that in the lasts days. I wanted to see you far from me, because the Daelkyr wanted to have you out of his way, he was ready to kill you, and I didn't wanted it to happen. And somewhere in my soul, I knew I couldn't have stop him if he would have decided it was the time to kill you. But you stubornness was my salvation. Because you were around me, you have been the only reason why I was figthing the Daelkyr. He was playing with my fears, with my ambition, but he has never been able to suppress the love I had for you, he never completly control me. Most probably things would have turned worst if I hadn't hinder his progress before Sur'Kil finally arrive here, and I was able to do it because I hadn't completly surrended to him."

Jango opens his arms and hugs his sister. "It seems our faith is still bound for some times." adds Jango with a smiles.

"But your mark? What happen to it?" asks Jina. That questions doesn't seems to disturb the elf. He even throw a look at Khalia. "As I said, I'm Sur'Kil prophet. My faith is now bound to him, but it is the least I owe for the sacrifice he and his follower have made to save me. I don't know how my mark of Khyber have been erased, most probably it is linked to the bound that have been broken with the Daelkyr. Instead, I have the mark of one of the contellation of the dragon, who hold part of the secrets of the Prophecy. For the bookworm I have been and my obscession on the dragonmarks, it was normal I first have a link to Io, the constellation of the dragon of knowledge and magic. My link to her gives me more insight into the prophecy and this world. But I'm not sure I can yet rivalized with Khalia."

As he tells that, he turns toward the archivist. "Khalia. And you too." he tells, looking at the other members of the Flames. "I owe you much too. The flame have paid for what I have done today. But what happened today would have happen sooner or later. The Daelkyr had attracted Captain Erqua. We stop her, but he turns his attention on me. If I wouldn't have released him from his prison, he would have tried with someone else. Sooner or later, someone in Seawell, or form somewhere else, would have free him from his prison. His prison was flawed and he could speak to people outside. And as all Daelkyr, he knows how to manipulate a mortal with his fear and his obscession. He is now back into a new prison, and Sur'Kil will make sure the new prison will not be flawed.

For me, even if I have been just a tool, I feels I owe your order much. I'll pay back my debt one day. But for now, the Eyes of the Dragon must be found. It is now just a question of time before it is found, better to be us than someone else."

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The revelation about Jango put a deeper glower on the hexer. As he addressed the others, Ari kept a mental note that he had no words for Ari. Did Jango suspect Ari of Daelkyr taint as well? The dragon knew that this was not true, but with a group of jumpy Flamists and a vivid depiction of how an aberrant Mark could be twisted, Ari decided not to bring any attention to it. He'd just have to see how this all played out.

drothgery

First Post
For once, Khalia kept silent for a time. She had been about to respond to the Dragon when Jango ... changed. They say that we Thranes are arrogant, but the dragons of Argonnessen make the worst of us seem meek. Sur'Kil knows better than I what draconic empires have wrought across Eberron in the past. He cannot think anyone who subjugated dragonkind -- whether human, elf, or dragon -- would be content with Argonnessen alone. She thought. Yet he may well be right; if this item does what Sur'Kil thinks and it cannot be destroyed -- father and I could protect it from much, and rather more if all the resources of the Church were brought to bear. But acquiring those resources would mean knowledge of the item would pass to men like Krozen, and that hardly seems wise.

"I agree to your terms." She said, eventually. I must see this through. Father is not here, and there is no one else I would be certain of understanding what he saw, and making the correct decision.

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, human cleric

drothgery said:
"I agree to your terms." She said, eventually. I must see this through. Father is not here, and there is no one else I would be certain of understanding what he saw, and making the correct decision.

Donovan nods toward the archivist. "I'll be happy to have your level head on this endeavor. Your counsel was a boon in the crisis with Nevillom, indeed."

Remove ads