Faerun vs. Faerûn

Thanee

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
That didn't give me a circumflex, that gave me an emdash. Anyway, I had Word open, so I just inserted the û and cut and pasted. It's a bit of a hassle, so I don't bother most of the time.

Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Character Map :) ?¿?

Bye
Thanee

Yeovil Andy

First Post
Turjan said:
In French, where you have the circumflex on many words, it doesn't change the pronunciation. It's just an indication that the original word, of which the current word bearing the circumflex has been derived from, contained an additional consonant (I think it was an 's'). That's why I'd say the circumflex in Faerûn doesn't change anything ;).

But in Welsh, the effect of the circumflex is to length the vowel, hence môr (sea) and cŵn (dogs). So that's why I'd say the circumflex makes the word Fay-roon

Turjan

Explorer
Yeovil Andy said:
But in Welsh, the effect of the circumflex is to length the vowel, hence môr (sea) and cŵn (dogs). So that's why I'd say the circumflex makes the word Fay-roon
Ah, that makes sense. My knowledge of Welsh is, let's say, limited :D.

Yeovil Andy

First Post
Wasn't the Moonshaes the first bit of the Realms that Ed Greenwood designed? If so then given that the Moonshaes is proto-Celtic it would make sense for Faerûn to be pronounced with a long-u. Mind you if it was all in Welsh it would be more Vae-reen.

Sammael

Adventurer
@Thanee: that only works on German keyboard layout, where the tilde is replaced by the circumflex. It may work on other layouts, but doesn't work on the U.S. English one or the Serbian one (probably because neither language makes heavy use of accents and such).

kuje31

First Post
Yeovil Andy said:
Wasn't the Moonshaes the first bit of the Realms that Ed Greenwood designed? If so then given that the Moonshaes is proto-Celtic it would make sense for Faerûn to be pronounced with a long-u. Mind you if it was all in Welsh it would be more Vae-reen.

The Dales, Cormyr, and Waterdeep were the places he flushed out for his players. The Moonshae's of TSR/Douglas Niles are not the same Moonshae's of Ed's original world. :) Besides, the Moonshae's of TSR/Niles were supposed to be a part of Dragonlance but TSR changed thier mind about that and used them to help promate FR as the new campaign setting.

So the 1st official printed material for FR, besides what was in Dragon, was a novel. It beat the box set by a month.

Welverin

First Post
SHARK said:
Greetings!

Hello!

Hey there Joshua! Yeah, I'd say it is proper to say "Faye-Rune"

This is how I've always pronounced it, of course I settle on that pronunciation because it's what was listed in the original box set. I always liked how that thing told you how to pronounce all the weird names, which FR products have always done to a better degree than anything else.

Remove ads